Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Wiring & Gas Fire question

Options
  • 19-01-2007 2:47am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I have two questions and im hoping someone can help..

1) Our gas fire has two knobs:- one to activate the flame and turn up its strength and another to turn up the gas. My dad for some strange reason keeps leaving the gas ON and just turns out the flame. Is this danagerous to leave the gas on all day - without the fire lighting? We wouldnt do it on a Gas Cooker, so why a Gas fire? He says there isnt any danger, but I somehow doubt it - so have to keep checking its off

2) When it comes to wiring switches - can 2 dimmer switches control the one light? Basicaly, we wired up a dimmer switch downstairs and one upstairs to control the landing light. However, if you have one on downstairs and someone turns it on upstairs - the fuse board flips the switch down so there is no power going to the switches anymore! Is this bad wiring, or something that cant be done?

(If these are asked in the wrong forum, I do apolgise. Please move if appropriate).

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Sully04 wrote:
    1) Our gas fire has two knobs:- one to activate the flame and turn up its strength and another to turn up the gas. My dad for some strange reason keeps leaving the gas ON and just turns out the flame. Is this danagerous to leave the gas on all day - without the fire lighting? We wouldnt do it on a Gas Cooker, so why a Gas fire? He says there isnt any danger, but I somehow doubt it - so have to keep checking its off
    At a risk of sounding crass, I'd say if the gas was running after he extinguished the flame there would have been a big bang by now. You can't be careful enough where gas is concerned, but there's obviously a saftey valve in there somewhere. At the very least he should be turning the flame and the gas off at the fire.
    Sully04 wrote:
    2) When it comes to wiring switches - can 2 dimmer switches control the one light? Basicaly, we wired up a dimmer switch downstairs and one upstairs to control the landing light. However, if you have one on downstairs and someone turns it on upstairs - the fuse board flips the switch down so there is no power going to the switches anymore! Is this bad wiring, or something that cant be done?

You can't have 2 dimmers 2-waying 1 light. You can leave one dimmer there and get a standard 2-way switch for the other. This is to do with the principle operation of a dimmer switch. Make sure it's replaced by a qualified electrician, it's a 5 minute job so you shouldn't be charged more than €30-€50, depending on where you are :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

yeah best get a sparks in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

paul666 wrote:
    yeah best get a sparks in

Or won't be long before CSI come round to investigate the cause of the blast/fire. Multiple light fittings can be fixed to a single dimmer switch and this is done all the time but it sounds like the dimmer may be wired incorrectly or not designed to handle to load. If it's shorting, it's not good.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

wyndham wrote:
    Multiple light fittings can be fixed to a single dimmer switch and this is done all the time but it sounds like the dimmer may be wired incorrectly or not designed to handle to load. If it's shorting, it's not good.

It's not the wiring that's to fault, you can't have 2 dimmers on 1 light :)

multiple light fittings on 1 dimmer switch ----> yes
    multiple dimmers on 1 light fitting ----> no

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

We replaced the dimmer with a switch, and had to replace the other dimmer with a new one as it seems to have been damaged and wouldnt work anymore.

Thanks for the heads up lads. Appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement