Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic Plasma query

• 19-01-2007 9:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭

Want to buy a Panasonic plasma tv with the cabinet.
    Did the usual trawl of the shops Currys, DID, harvey Normans etc.
    The hit the web. Finally saw this one

http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk/itfx_product_details.php?pid=5437
    Comes in at around £994.00 which when converted to euro is a big saving on the same package being sold here.

And best of all they claim to ship to Ireland. Only slight problem is this is the UK model.

So phoned them and asked about the shipping to ROI. No problem they said but reminded me that it had a digital tuner and wouldn't work in the ROI.
    Now I planned on using it via a sky box via a scart lead to begin with. Explained this to them but they were insistent that the set wouldn't work no matter what input I used. They then went on to explain that for some reason that it would display no picture due to the format that the plasma would recieve. The started quoting the PAL/NSTC formats to me.

Now am I wrong in assuming that the Sky box is handing the way the transmission signal is being presented to the panel.

Also I thought that the UK and the ROI both used the same format when is comes to PAL/NTSC?

Can anybody shed some light on this as the price is nearly too good to pass up.

thanks,
    Cerbeus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭jonnygee

Unless its a different th42px60b to mine then of course it will work with sky,
    the only difference to a r.o.i. set is that the u.k. set has a free view tuner instead of a vhf tuner. both still work with uhf aerial and sky through scart.
    Do you really want to buy from that site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Here is roughly the same price , same features ,only difference is that its a guaranteed reliable site, I bought my TV off em , and boards users will know this site well , they even have a forum for questions on here.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10449

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Thanks for the replies. I've since been onto that site again and they have confirmed that the sets will work. They thought that I was going to try to use a vhf signal through the digital tuner but I explained that I planned on using it with a SKY box so this wasn't an issue.

Oh and I would buy off Komplett if the Panasonic included the cabinet stand which it doesn't, and for the same price. I had to point this out to them as they had an image of the panel on the stand but not disclaimer like they had on the other Panasonic plasmas.

This price is too good to pass as the cabinet is included for €1600 roughly. And they ship to ROI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

check alliance electric on Geoges Street too, they sell Panasonic and they might have a post Xmas sale on. They're good guys, no BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

all panasonic plasmas in ireland are now (well, should be) going with free video cabinets.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for the replies.

Big_moe can you name any panasonic dealers that are offering the cabinet as part of the deal? DID are still asking 750 for the cabinet/stand.

alliance electric, goerges st. dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Was in alliance electrical today just having a quick browse and it looked like the the th42px60 model was 2190 euro. If that was the correct price then its almost 300 euro dearer than peats on Dame Street (1899) and 5-600 euro dearer than UK e-tailers inc delivery to Ireland.

Thats some difference!

the th42pv60 is €1899 as well. the th42pv600 is €2100... dunno what tv u were looking at viking

But do they come with the Cabinet stand as part of the price or was that extra as it is in DID who sell it for €750?

• Advertisement

big_moe wrote:
    the th42pv60 is €1899 as well. the th42pv600 is €2100... dunno what tv u were looking at viking
    Ah right, some of the TVs weren't labeled with their model numbers (only prices) and I had to try and look at the back of the TV to read the model number which was quite awkward (The guys behind the counter were busy dealing with someone and I was on my lunch break so didn't have time to hang around). I must have missed the last '0' at the end, thanks for pointing out the right price.

So, if that 1899 price includes the cabinet then its good value for people looking for a cabinet. However, I'm not looking for the cabinet as I'll be hanging it on the wall so 1899 is still 300 dearer than RicherSounds inc delivery (I don't require VHF tuner so UK model is fine for me). If I'm ordering from the web, I'd rather order from a company on the island of Ireland than UK/Germany in case a return is necessary.

Stlll, its a good price from Alliance.

at 1899, thats the price for the tv th42pv60. it now sells at that price with a free video cabinet if required. the 750 quid DID are quoting for the stand is the full price for the cabinet so they are obviously not aware of the free cabinet offer or just aren't bothering with it....

But is that just an ordinary video stand and not the official Panasonic stand?

Like this one:
    http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk/itfx_product_details.php?pid=5252

big_moe wrote:
    at 1899, thats the price for the tv th42pv60. it now sells at that price with a free video cabinet if required. the 750 quid DID are quoting for the stand is the full price for the cabinet so they are obviously not aware of the free cabinet offer or just aren't bothering with it....
    Just out of curiosity big_moe, do you work for Alliance Electric, or have some connection to it?

I can confirm that big_moe was telling the truth!
    Alliance are selling the TH42PV60 with the proper Panasonic stand for €1899.
    And the TH42PV600 with stand is €2100.
    Special offer for a limited time. They wouldn't say when the offer finishes but if it is Panasonic letting the stands go for nothing it's one of the best deals I've seen in a brick and mortar retailer in ROI.

So much so I bought one and they are delivering it on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

viking wrote:
    Just out of curiosity big_moe, do you work for Alliance Electric, or have some connection to it?

In fairness it was myself that first mentioned Alliance Electric and I've mentioned them a few times on these borads. Great shop for the TVs so they are...

Slaphead07 wrote:
    In fairness it was myself that first mentioned Alliance Electric and I've mentioned them a few times on these borads. Great shop for the TVs so they are...
    I was only asking out of genuine curiosity and in the hope that if he did work for them that he might offer a boards discount :D

Too late for me, I've already bought one! :D

Can't wait for it to be delivered.

yeah i do work there.... cerbeus, see ya saturday morning so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Getting back to the origional post you mention digital tuners. Is ther any point in getting a TV with a digital tuner in Ireland? Komplett sell that panasonic without the digital tuner for 1499. Why not buy that?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=327631

• Advertisement

big_moe wrote:
    yeah i do work there...
    Ahhhh... so about that boards discount? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Good Boy

Do they deliver outside the Dublin area?
    would be interesting to know.

Regards

Good Boy

Depends where abouts outside Dublin you are.
    I'm in Drogheda and they're delivering it on Saturday morning.
    So ring and ask them and see what they say or PM big_moe and ask him.

viking wrote:
    Ahhhh... so about that boards discount? :)

haha, yeah maybe!! depends what u want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 emersnbe

big_moe wrote:
    yeah i do work there.... cerbeus, see ya saturday morning so!

Big Moe,

Do Alliance offer any home installation service (wall mounting etc)? Or can anyone here recommend someone?

Thanks,
    Ben.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

The stands are now free in DID aswell just for the record :)

emersnbe wrote:
    Do Alliance offer any home installation service (wall mounting etc)?

yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭CM21

Do any shops offer an extended warranty?

• Advertisement
Advertisement