Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposing of pet "waste"

Options
  • 19-01-2007 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭

A nice disgusting question, but one that I'd like to hear your opinions on.

I have two dogs at home, and they are really little hairy poo machines. Each of them would go 3-5 times per day, meaning that it can really build up. To date, our method of dealing with this has been to clean up the garden, disinfect and fully clean the pooches living areas in the garden, and put the waste into the regular household wheelie bin in a few sealed bags. Someone mentioned to me though that its not actually allowable to have dog waste in a rubbish bin. Whether or not thats true, I dont know, but what do people generally do? Do you bin it, or compost it, or something else?

I'm not really overly concerned about it being in the bin, but it made me wonder what do other people do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you compost it might be possible to throw it in there. Should be safe enough.

I'm sure most people do the same as you and put it in the rubbish bin. Can't really see the problem with that either, babies (and old folks) nappies go there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

We have 3 dogs, 2 very small and one medium so we have a similar issue.

We (I say we, but the hubby does it! :o ) can open the drains in our side entrance and we put it down there and rinse it down with water & bleach and by flushing the loos.
    Our bins are only collected every 2 weeks so I wouldn't be keen on it in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I lift up the drain and flush it down

On another note thats a lotta poo !
    What are you feeding them

Certain foods can elimate excess waste
    Mine are on Burns Organic and do one each a day !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Buy a "dogloo"
    Basically a plastic bin that you sink into the ground with a bio friendly chemical in it that breaks down the waste.

And if you`re really good good you can train the dogs to lift the lid and go in it themselves :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

Dogloo! I love that idea. It might be a while before they go by themselves though :)

I feed my dogs twice a day with Bounce (they seem to love that brand) pedigree mixer, brown bread and milk. We also give them mince on occasion as well and a hearty selection of chews and dog biscuits. Somehow they manage to convert two meals a day into a helluva lot of waste, cheers for the ideas. We have a sewage drain in the garden as well, but I didnt realise you could dispose of the nasty in that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Archeron wrote:
    Dogloo! I love that idea. It might be a while before they go by themselves though :)

Just joking about training them to go in themselves although I did tell a friend that and he spent weeks trying to get the dogs to go in it themselves.

You could just make one if you`re stuck.

http://homepage.mac.com/cityfarmer/PhotoAlbum22.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Archeron wrote:
    We have a sewage drain in the garden as well, but I didnt realise you could dispose of the nasty in that.
    As opposed to the fragrant delicacies that go down it from the toilets in the house, you mean?
    I don't see any great harm in sending dog sewage the same way as the human version; go easy on lashing gallons of bleach and suchlike after it though, it doesn't help the bio-degrading processes further down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

Rovi wrote:
    As opposed to the fragrant delicacies that go down it from the toilets in the house, you mean?
    I don't see any great harm in sending dog sewage the same way as the human version; go easy on lashing gallons of bleach and suchlike after it though, it doesn't help the bio-degrading processes further down the line.

:) I thought that after I posted. Not every flush from the house is accompanied by rose petals and perfume, so you do have a point. I was a bit concerned though about what council people might say, but then again, they are hardly likely to know, so probably just a paranoid thought.
    Thanks for the tip on going easy on the bleach, I didnt realize it could have negative effects on the breaking down process.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Archeron wrote:
    I was a bit concerned though about what council people might say, but then again, they are hardly likely to know, so probably just a paranoid thought.
    Post-kebab shíte, black shíte (must be from the Guinness), shíte, shoíte (must be from a D4 head), ZOMG!!! Dog shíte. Arrest him!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I've 4 big dogs & a foster here so a lot of waste. We open the drain & send it right down to the septic tank.
    The waste from 7 cats goes in the bin though, nicely packaged in double nappy bags.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

reading the post here about what people do with dog waste you cant put it in to a compost bin it wont breck down and about the drains or toilet its a big no a friend use to do the drain thing when it became blocked the counil charged her because its against the law it blocked the pipes like cermet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I dispose of it through the bin but I would prefer a more environmently friendly method.

Like the idea of the doggy loo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Archeron wrote:
    I feed my dogs twice a day with Bounce (they seem to love that brand) pedigree mixer, brown bread and milk. We also give them mince on occasion as well and a hearty selection of chews and dog biscuits.

Its the Milk!! They can't handle the enzymes (or something) so it tends to pass right through! Give them a spoon of bovril and warm water instead if you want something to wet their dinner, they love the meaty flavour.

Advertisement