Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happiest Day in Your Life ?

• 19-01-2007 10:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

You often hear people say that the happiest day of their life was the day they got married or the birth of kid(s), i have often wondered how true this is, especially when you hear sports stars or people that have accomplished major things in their life say "today is the happiest day of my life" besides the birth of my son...
    I cant comment since i dont have kids and am not married but i wouldn't be too sure if i would rank those things above other personal achievements in my life.

So people that are married or have kids - Was it the happiest day of your life ?

Happiest Day of Your Life ? 8 votes

Marriage
    0% 0 votes
    Birth of Child
    37% 3 votes
    Other
    62% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Thats some pretty slim pickin's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Winters wrote:

You took the words right out of my mouth :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Winters wrote:

Well, yes maybe but i am trying to see the viewpoint from people that are married and those with children or both. Is it just a cliche to view these things as the happiest day of your life or in reality can people honestly pick out different occasions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Neither a father nor married so option 3 for me. Can't actually pinpoint a 'happiest day of my life'. I can think of some moments which might qualify, and a couple of holidays which have been pretty sweet but picking a single day? That's pretty tough tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You probably would get better responses in Weddings & Marriage. At least there people are married/thinking of it.

Not married, no children *phew* So for me it was option "Other"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm married & have 1 kid (another due in 2 weeks time :D ).
    This thread got me really thinking about which day was the happiest - my wedding or the birth of Billy Jr?

I'd have to say that my wedding day was the happiest in the conventional sense of being all smiley & upbeat & having a laugh.

The day my son was born would be the day I was most proud - beaming from an enormous sense of achievement mixed with an "Oh-Sweet-Jesus!-How-the-fcuk-are-we-going-to-cope?" sense of fear/panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I suppose in order

my Dad gettin the all clear from hospital with heart trouble
    The day I found out I passed my Degree with honours :eek:
    A few decent days to remember with the last girl I was with
    Manchester United 2 - 1 Spurs 1999 old trafford, we went on to win the treble
    Beating st Pats 2 - 1 U16 playing for my local soccer club

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

OP you probably should have been clearer in the thread title or poll that this was only for married people/parents, otherwise everyone is going to vote so your not going to get proper answer to your question.

I'm neither married nor have kids but I'd imagine the reason these are so often quoted is because they are pretty life changing, ie. your life becomes before and after you got married, had kids etc. People will always want to see such changes as positive. I wonder do divorcees still think their wedding day was their happiest?

Been thinking about this ever since coming across the thread this morning. I reckon the happiest day of my life was one spent in Paris with my ex. We were staying in an apartment in the cinquieme which was right over an amazing street market where I bought our breakfast while she brewed the coffee, that day we visited loads of the typical touristy Paris things and just generally did what people do on holidays. Wonderful memory, thanks for helping me revisit it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

I wonder do divorcees still think their wedding day was their happiest?

Absolutely not! I wish it never happened :p I think one of the happiest days of my life was the day I bought my first home. Another one that comes to mind is the day that I walked into my lover's arms for the first time at Dublin airport :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

The second-last Wednesday of June, 2003.

I was 17 years old and just finished my leaving cert. C.S. was my last exam, it went well, the perfect exam to end my school days. So I walked out of school forever, sun was shining, lay around down by the UCD lake until evening with a small group of friends, the world was our oyster, but we didn't care! Walked home just as it was getting dark and sat in the garden until late chatting with my brother.

It sounds very boring looking back on it, maybe it was the exam relief/ hysteria or maybe it was the weather but I really felt like a grown up man that day, and described it in my diary as the happiest day of my life. It was a very odd/ dream-like June day, and I still remember it all very clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No kids and none in the foreseeable future. I don't think I've ever been happier than on my wedding day and seeing the amount of people overjoyed for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Not married or a father yet, can't really pick out a single day as the "happiest day of my life". Sure enough theres been some good ones and some ones that have made me extremely happy, but can't pick out one.

Hagar wrote:
    Tomorrow.
    Bloody good answer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"Other" made me so happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

None so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

that time i got a sega megadrive for xmas when i was a kid! was well chuffed. kids eh?

or else RAG Week last year. best week ever. this one better be good too! other than that, theres been a lot of excellent moments but none that would be classed as "happiest moment ever!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

When I gave birth to my first son. It took a while but it was worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

Has to be "other", the day my daughter was born was probably the most frightening day in my life...not being married wasn't a help either, so yea..."other" it is. Fast forward 15 years and she's a great daughter, so I think I'll make today the best day of my life and really be thankful of the beautiful life we have made together, let the celebrations begin :)

Advertisement