Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA, Course Vs Self Study

Options
  • 19-01-2007 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the CCNA. I have the option to do a course (if I can convince the boss to pay for it) but was considering self studying for the exam as I did an MCSA course before which was a complete waste of time. Just wondering how helpful a course is versus self studying for the exam and what peoples opinions are and if anyone can recommend a decent CCNA course. Thanks Folks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'm in the Tallaght one myself. Tbh unless you know a bit about Routers and switches I would recommend you go with a course. E.G Subnetting took me about 2 months to get my head around (and when you do you see how simple it really is) but I probably would have found it hard to figure out on my own.

The course cost €1750 for the 1st bit €250 of that is for your books and other bits which wasn't mentioned before hand :rolleyes: The second half cost €1500.

I like Tallaght, the instructors really know their stuff and are very well equiped for the practical side. All in all i'd give them a thumbs up.

The main problem I and everyone else has is trying to stay awake after a hard days work :P Caffine breaks help though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

As always, depends on experience with IP,OSI,Routing, but this is a start.

Best book for CCNA course is Todd Lammles

http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0782143938

There are cheaper versions of same book without Router Simulator.

BOSON do good exam simulators, similar format/questions.

You can also get good CBTs , search on GOOGLE , Learnkey do a good one, but check out comments for different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the CCNA.

Have you had a look at the course outline? Do you know whats involved with it?
    if anyone can recommend a decent CCNA course. Thanks Folks

At the moment the CCNA is very popular at New Horizons and we offer Cisco vLabs with the course. Cisco vLabs are essentially time bought on real (not simulated) Cisco hardware, that you can practice what you are learning on the course. It makes the training very practical.

I'm not going to go into pricing here because I feel I would be breaking advertising rules, but because you are a Boards.ie member I can knock a chunk off the normal price. Just email/PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Shad0r wrote:
    Have you had a look at the course outline? Do you know whats involved with it?

At the moment the CCNA is very popular at New Horizons and we offer Cisco vLabs with the course. Cisco vLabs are essentially time bought on real (not simulated) Cisco hardware, that you can practice what you are learning on the course. It makes the training very practical.

I'm not going to go into pricing here because I feel I would be breaking advertising rules, but because you are a Boards.ie member I can knock a chunk off the normal price. Just email/PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Pabloescobar

thanks for the book recommendations and other suggestions folks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement