Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Bulbs

• 19-01-2007 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I just found some packs of bulbs I had forgotten about...Is it too late to plant them now?

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

What varieties of bulbs, Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭mikep

Of course silly me...

They are just dafs and tulips!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

Tulip and daffodil bulbs both need a winter chill to enable root growth and to produce blooms in the spring.
    I presume your bulbs were stored inside.
    Because of this lack of chilling, they probably may not do much as planting them now is a bit late.
    Plus the bulbs are probably drying out, having been out of the soil for so long.

However nothing ventured, nothing gained…
    So plant them now into pots, water the pots and place them in the coldest spot within your garden you can find.
    You could also put the potted bulbs into the lower shelf of your fridge, if you have the space.
    This is to give the bulbs their required winter chill.

Once the warmer spring weather starts to appear, move the potted bulbs to a warm spot in the garden.
    If the bulbs start to appear, you can apply a liquid feed to bring on the growth.
    If they grow, they grow, if they don’t, they don’t.
    Whatever the growth result, you can replant the remaining solid bulbs from the pots to the open ground in late summer / autumn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

My mother planted some in january last year - like that they'd been forgotten about & were already shooting when she planted them, but as far as I remember they flowered. Definitely worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭Worztron

I have a packet of bulbs (contains dahlia, irish and a few others) to be planted. Someone gave us them recently. Is it too late to plant them? I think the best time is between September and December. Am I too late?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
Advertisement