Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US and N. Korea Reach Nuclear Agreement?

Options
  • 19-01-2007 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

Im sorry but i cant help but feel there is something else going on here.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/?jp=CWSNEYAUQLKF
    The Details have not yet been released on exactly what the agreement was

I mean first its revealed that Israel has been in negations with Syria about the Golan Heights and now a supposed nuclear agreement with NK even tho i would not consider that link to be a "Nuclear Agreement"

I always believe that there is an alterer motive for things and this just does not feel right especially with the US dispatching yes ANOTHER carrier group to try and scare the Iranains.

Russia has sold more advanced defensive anti aircraft weapons to Iran so now Israels plan of a precision strike to half there uranium enrichment is screwed.

EDIT: Ok why is everything going so well in the last few days? Israel just gave the palastanies 72 million in frozen funds.

I am not complaining its just strange things have happened so quickly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

My reading is that the US offered NK ecomonomic aid in return for it abandoning its nuclear program (i.e. bribed it to stop developing nuclear WMD). It seems to be doing this so it can concentrate on the middle east especially Iran. It is hard to see the Bush administration getting support for a war on Iran with an anti-war Democrat led Congress though.... Watch this space I say!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Actually bush said in a speech 6 days ago that "if congress votes the wrong way he can override there decision"

But does he have that power without declaring something like a state of emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i dont think so he does but relay what could anyone do?
    id say he needs to make changes to the constutation first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

From my limited understanding, congress is unable to dictate who/where/when the US goes to war (or not) with, but holds the budgetary power over all of the federal government including the defence department. The executive branch retains power over the military - they give the orders. Invasions don't come cheap. Bombs don't drop and Troops don't move without money.

(This is putting aside the whole argument about whether the administration want to invade and their capabilities for doing so)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

My reading is that the US offered NK ecomonomic aid in return for it abandoning its nuclear program (i.e. bribed it to stop developing nuclear WMD). It seems to be doing this so it can concentrate on the middle east especially Iran. It is hard to see the Bush administration getting support for a war on Iran with an anti-war Democrat led Congress though.... Watch this space I say!!!

That would be the anti-war Democrats that voted for them. I haven't seen one of the top DNC members say anything anti-war.
    If Pelosi, Hillary or Barak have anything to do with it Iran is fair game still.
    The Democrats are pushing for the "surge" louder than Bush is.

this article says the Dems dont want the Bush administration to attack Iran without consent of congress...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/19/AR2007011900596.html
    though I guess it doesnt mean the Dems wont support an invasion...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think Israel will actually attack Iran and the US will then contain Iran thereafter, preparations were announced last week

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070116/pl_afp/usgulfnavyiran_070116145030
    US
    President George W. Bush earlier this month ordered a second US aircraft carrier battle group to the Gulf and announced the deployment of a Patriot missile defense battalion to the region to protect allies against potential missile strikes.

Bush vowed at the time that US forces would "seek out and destroy" any networks funneling weapons or fighters from
    Syria or
    Iran into
    Iraq.

A senior US military official added that the United States planned to keep two aircraft carrier battle groups in the Gulf for months -- the first such deployment since the first year of the Iraq war.

An aircraft carrier is useless as a platform for interdictions along the Syrian border, a spectre gunship based in Iraq itself would do the job nicely .

It would likely be there to cover anywhere from the Somalian Islamic 'flashpoint' to the Hormuz chokepoint which is 21 miles wide off the Iranian coast. The fact that the Iranians demonstrated this device last year will clearly focus US minds on the fallout from an Iranian backlash to being attacked by Israel .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Moriarty wrote:
    From my limited understanding, congress is unable to dictate who/where/when the US goes to war (or not) with, but holds the budgetary power over all of the federal government including the defence department. The executive branch retains power over the military - they give the orders. Invasions don't come cheap. Bombs don't drop and Troops don't move without money.

That's pretty much the size of it. My military chain of command does not include any Congresscritters, but does include the President. There are some other war-related powers that Congress has beyond the purse strings, for example there are limits to how many reservists can be mobilised at any one time without congressional approval: Only Congress can issue a total mobilisation order.

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Only Congress can issue a total mobilisation order.
    Including the draft, thank the gods!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There are more people in Congress who support the draft than in the Administration.

NTM

Advertisement