Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4 Helping Jade

Options
  • 19-01-2007 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Did anyone see what happened last night? They done their nominations and it turned out that Jade & Shilpa are up. So usually at the end of the hour programme the numbers come up at the end for the public to vote to evict. No numbers came up.

I switched over to E4 and watched Big Brothers Big Mouth and Russell made some comment about no numbers being shown to vote but didnt explain why. He then showed a clip of some unseen footage of Jade apologising to Shilpa - a half arsed apology anyway. Then, miracuously numbers came up on the TV to enable the voting to start!!!

Obvioulsy Channel 4 are trying to do some damage control towards Jade. The whole thing is a complete farce!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'd have been surprised if they hadn't pulled some stunt like that, and to be honest I won't be holding my breath for the witch burning ceremony that we're all baying for tonight, they'll probably hand pick the crowd, half compiled with Jade fans or perhaps C4 staff posing as spectators and a few members of the paparazzi under strict instructions not to mention the war...:rolleyes:

But we live in hope.. Now where are my matches...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Big Brother is a total farce and controlled by producers so as to influence public.
    Did anyone see the repeat of Big Brother on E4 yesterday which showed the big fight between Jade and Shilpa, was disgracefuly edited to portray Jade in a better light, made it look like it was more Shilpas fault and left out loads and loads of Jades stuff(fair enough some might not be fit for day time viewing but they went out of their way to help Jade)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Yeah the whole numbers not showing up at the end was disgraceful. Ive just returned form London though and the frenzy surrounding Jade is just unreal. Channel 4 had to do something to protect her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

Totally agree with you OP!!!!

I thought last nights installment was so contrived. Shilpa making a "statement" and Jade's non-apology. Danielle's non-apology the night before the same.

Big Brother is breaking its own rules by giving hints about the outside world - in fact, I'd go so far as to say I reckon they were all called in off camera and told the story.

The issue now is that the racism thing has gotten so big that the bullying aspect is falling by the wayside. The emphasis is on false apologies and making up rather than the awful treatment this girl has received at the hands of these twats.

All we have to read for evidence of C4s manipulation of the show is how this is worded:

http://www.channel4.com/bigbrother/news/newsstory.jsp?id=1298&articleMask=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

panda100 wrote:
    Channel 4 had to do something to protect her.

This really bugs me, in my opinion she needs to hear the abuse from the crowd. Its just shouting not snipers on rooftops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Can't wait for tonight. I'm already planning my evening around watching it. I know that they will protect her to some degree but in all fairness, the fit has got to hit the shan.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

The new's and media have blown the whole thing out of proportion I think, I'm not saying that theres any justification for how jade and her friends are acting in the house. That big brother held off on opening the voting is understandable given how out of control the condeming of jade goody has gotten, and that they'll be giving all money to charity for this vote says something about their response to whats happening. What jade has done has been bad, but some of the reactions i've seen and hate directed at jade have been as bad if not much worse i think, most of this isn't from main stream media, but it does seems to be fueled by it. This hate towards jade might mean the bb protect her a bit but so what, they do have a responability to the celebs when theyre on the show, that the celebs are for the most part responsable for their own behaviour on the show is the way it should be i think. BB maybe have let things go too far and in that way what they've done to all the celebs including shilpa and jade mightn't be right, but given the celebs are in there by choice and can leave whenever they want and know they are being filmed for millions of people, it seems to me that all the blame aimed at bb/c4 aint right, to me the show it's just hightlighting that bullying goes on as does discrimination of all types among all types of people and is a huge problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

just watching Sky news - there isnt going to be any live audience at tonights eviction! Channel 4 are obviously too scared at what could happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Can't wait for tonight. I'm already planning my evening around watching it. I know that they will protect her to some degree but in all fairness, the fit has got to hit the shan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6277875.stm
    "There will be no crowd outside the house on the eviction show, the company handling the tickets has confirmed"

:(:(:(

Thats a disgrace , she should have to face the public like every other evictee has had to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It would better suit BB if Jade stayed in, so don't be surprised if she does. In any event, how can we know that the eviction actually reflects how the votes were cast?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭vandermeyde

Strange that C4 have spun it as something positive in terms of it being a reflection of societal race relations within Britain today and something which will spark a wider debate; whilst at the same time undoubtedly briefing the involved parties and getting them to apologise/tone it down and now having no public crowd at the eviction tonight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 tubes

I read somewhere that Jade's Agent/Publicist team also work for Dermot, Davina, Russell Brand. If this is true it explains a lot. The owners of the site on which the studio is located where going to evict them! So channel4 were forced to conjure up an apology from Jade and Danielle.

Strange that C4 have spun it as something positive in terms of it being a reflection of societal race relations within Britain today and something which will spark a wider debate; whilst at the same time undoubtedly briefing the involved parties and getting them to apologise/tone it down and now having no public crowd at the eviction tonight....

I don't see it as spinning it into to anything positive or negitive. To be honest i've seen very little comment by c4. BB asked jade and danielle about what they said, and made them realise how bad it sounds, i wouldn't call it briefing the involved parties. E4 have live(a bit delayed) coverage from the house for a number of hours during the day, if anybody want a more none edited version of whats going on in the house all they have to do is take a look. From what i've seen what has been shown in the main show are the interesting things that have happened and reflect what has been going on between the celebs. Id have much more problem with spin being put on worldwide news stories by news and media than i would by the c4/bb showing whats going on in the bb house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 tubes

eolhc wrote:
    E4 have live(a bit delayed) coverage from the house for a number of hours during the day, if anybody want a more none edited version of whats going on in the house all they have to do is take a look. From what i've seen what has been shown in the main show are the interesting things that have happened and reflect what has been going on between the celebs. Id have much more problem with spin being put on worldwide news stories by news and media than i would by the c4/bb showing whats going on in the bb house.

Regarding the delayed stream on E4. There has been a noticeable increase in the amount of editing in the last few days, i.e many of the conversations are being edited, that is, they cut the sound and replace it with backgound noise. They have total control over the content they want to the viewers to see/hear and have been using this control as best they can in the last few days.

Also, the diary roomis edited, we don't see half the things that are said in there. You can't view the diary room on the E4 feed.

eolhc wrote:
    I don't see it as spinning it into to anything positive or negitive. To be honest i've seen very little comment by c4. BB asked jade and danielle about what they said, and made them realise how bad it sounds, i wouldn't call it briefing the involved parties. E4 have live(a bit delayed) coverage from the house for a number of hours during the day, if anybody want a more none edited version of whats going on in the house all they have to do is take a look. From what i've seen what has been shown in the main show are the interesting things that have happened and reflect what has been going on between the celebs. Id have much more problem with spin being put on worldwide news stories by news and media than i would by the c4/bb showing whats going on in the bb house.

I probably should have qualified it a bit more; the below is from yesterday....now to my mind "confronting the truth" is not asking them to give empty apologies to each other to try and assuage whatever brouhaha is building up in the "outside" world; that's merely papering over the cracks...

"Channel 4 boss Andy Duncan today defended the decision to keep Celebrity Big Brother on air - saying the issues raised were ``unquestionably a good thing''.
    Making his first public comment about the controversy, Mr Duncan said he would not be pulling the plug on the format.

The Channel 4 chief executive told a media conference in Oxford: ``The level of complaint and comment shows the programme has touched a real nerve.

``The debate has been heated, the viewing has at times been uncomfortable but, in my view, it is unquestionably a good thing that the programme has raised these issues and provoked such a debate. These attitudes, however distasteful, do persist - we need to confront that truth.''

He said competitor Jade Goody had been spoken to about her comments in footage which would be seen in tonight's show."

tubes wrote:
    Regarding the delayed stream on E4. There has been a noticeable increase in the amount of editing in the last few days, i.e many of the conversations are being edited, that is, they cut the sound and replace it with backgound noise. They have total control over the content they want to the viewers to see/hear and have been using this control as best they can in the last few days.

Also, the diary roomis edited, we don't see half the things that are said in there. You can't view the diary room on the E4 feed.

Well from how I have seen the housemates interact with each other, and the conversations(even if parts are blanked out) they are having, big brother has not come out and directly warned housemates that they are being perceved as racist by the outside world, i have seen the housemates ask questions about bb line of questioning but nothing to suggest the apology is fabricated by producers or spun in any way. While i can see what big brother says in the diary room has a hugh influence on the behaviour in the house, i think there is no briefing to the housemates to tell them to tone things down. ... and i wasn't saying e4 is not edited just that you do see a fair bit more than the hightlights in the main show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

i was a jade fan until i saw her lose the rag with shilpa. jade has no respect for other cultures- she only went in there to promote her new perfume(which a lot of places has removed) and its all her own doing

shes as bad as her mother with her foul mouth and notions about herself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Whether Jade comments were racially motivated or not, I hope they hold her accountable for what shes done/said. Her behaviour towards Shilpa was totally out of order leaving all racial issues aside and that seems to be getting lost in the coverage.

I probably should have qualified it a bit more; the below is from yesterday....now to my mind "confronting the truth" is not asking them to give empty apologies to each other to try and assuage whatever brouhaha is building up in the "outside" world; that's merely papering over the cracks...

"Channel 4 boss Andy Duncan today defended the decision to keep Celebrity Big Brother on air - saying the issues raised were ``unquestionably a good thing''.
    Making his first public comment about the controversy, Mr Duncan said he would not be pulling the plug on the format.

The Channel 4 chief executive told a media conference in Oxford: ``The level of complaint and comment shows the programme has touched a real nerve.

``The debate has been heated, the viewing has at times been uncomfortable but, in my view, it is unquestionably a good thing that the programme has raised these issues and provoked such a debate. These attitudes, however distasteful, do persist - we need to confront that truth.''

He said competitor Jade Goody had been spoken to about her comments in footage which would be seen in tonight's show."

yes that would be positive spin i guess, still i don't think all thats being said is wrong about bringing up debate. What i have more of a problem with is the suns front pages and people calling jade all names under the sun, and judging her as racist basically because it's sinking down to her level, i think c4 have not made whats happened much worse or much better, they've let it all unfold

i am not supporting jade in any way, i think shes just stupid and is responsable for her own downfall and probably deserves most of what she gets, i'm just say c4/bb in my eyes havn't changed much from what they normally do with the show

eolhc wrote:
    yes that would be positive spin i guess, still i don't think all thats being said is wrong about bringing up debate. What i have more of a problem with is the suns front pages and people calling jade all names under the sun, and judging her as racist basically because it's sinking down to her level, i think c4 have not made whats happened much worse or much better, they've let it all unfold

i am not supporting jade in any way, i think shes just stupid and is responsable for her own downfall and probably deserves most of what she gets, i'm just say c4/bb in my eyes havn't changed much from what they normally do with the show

agreed on that, its mostly a storm in a teacup over some pretty odious "celebs"....I reckon C4 have intervened (even if only slightly) to preserve the show's future as I reckon the media frenzy could have been enough to bring the franchise down if things were left unchecked...then again, some would call me a cynic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oh the irony! People complaining that a show called "Big Brother" is too controlling. Has nobody read 1984?

What next? People complaining that the 6 o'clock news is on at 6 and contains too much news?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

BaZmO* wrote:
    Oh the irony! People complaining that a show called "Big Brother" is too controlling. Has nobody read 1984?

Good point. I think this show is mostly aimed at people who read the sun or the mirror, not Orwell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone else expecting Davina to go really easy on her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Anyone else expecting Davina to go really easy on her?

I was under the impression that the Davina interview, as well as the public eviction, had been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

indeed there will be no post-eviction press conference

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6277875.stm

Looks like BB are trying their best to dig Jade out of the hole she dug herself....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

She will be interviewed by Davina but she won't be interviewed by the press, which ain't necessarily a bad thing from Endemol's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Current reports suggest that she will be evicted, briefed on the whole thing, interviewed by Davina and then she will face the press, albeit a select few reporters.

also, does anyone else find it funny that jack, a complete nobody who is only there because he is jade's boyfriend, will be left in the house after jade is gone?

i wonder will he stay and risk facing her wrath for not leaving with her, or will he pussy out and leave shortly after her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Just watching it now and saw Shilpa's statement in the diary room about how she "stands corrected" re: the racist claims.

It was quite possibly the most insincere thing ever. The girl has obviously been spoken to by producers and been informed of the international outrage over it. More than likely been told to play everything down.

No doubt Davina's interview will be a total whitewash. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Chinafoot wrote:
    Just watching it now and saw Shilpa's statement in the diary room about how she "stands corrected" re: the racist claims.

It was quite possibly the most insincere thing ever. The girl has obviously been spoken to by producers and been informed of the international outrage over it. More than likely been told to play everything down.

No doubt Davina's interview will be a total whitewash. :rolleyes:

well the full apology type things doesn't really change what went before

like shilpa said there are things you say you cant take back

Advertisement