Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitor and Response Times question

Options
  • 19-01-2007 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm looking at picking up a new monitor, and am just trying to clear up the way that different manufacturers measure their response times.

I know that in their faster monitors, Samsung use a Gray to Gray measurement, and that the response time in the traditional measure is a bit slower. Does anyone know by what sort of a factor this may be?

Also, does anyone know what measure LG use? Just wondering about them specifically because they have a monitor with a 5ms response time, while Samsung has a similar one with a 4ms G-to-G time. Now it seems to me that unless LG also use G-to-G as a measure, their monitor may be faster. They don't specify that this is a G-to-G time, but I know Samsung didn't always clarify this.

So is anyone here in the know on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭cython

More specifically, I'd be looking to compare the two monitors linked to below:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322224
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324781

Has anyone heard anything about either of these, or does anyone here happen to have either that might be able to offer me some advice please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Dunno about the LG, but i've the samsung for the past year and a half and it's a beautiful monitor, still going strong. never noticed any ghosting or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

ui think that any tn panel tft has 5ms response time..it thus has a 6bit not a 8 bit colour table..im not entirely sure because tyhere is no additional info for the LG but from the research ive been doing lately on monitors..its what i think..

IgsTer wrote:
    ui think that any tn panel tft has 5ms response time..it thus has a 6bit not a 8 bit colour table..im not entirely sure because tyhere is no additional info for the LG but from the research ive been doing lately on monitors..its what i think..

Actually that'a a good point. The LG product page for the monitor is located here if that's of any more help? Thanks for the feedback so far guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The only thing you really need to worry about is that the response time is under or at 8ms and practically all current displays are even taking into account those who measure the response time in a different manner.

The LG looks slightly better on paper but one thing to be aware is that the LG L194WT display apparently does not support scaling so when running at non wide resolutions you will have black bars at either side of the screen. {It is possible to fiddle with graphics card settings to do the job instead}

However I do not know if that applies to the L194WT-SF if that is a newer revision of the display I'd suggest checking the manual.

• Advertisement

8T8 wrote:
    The only thing you really need to worry about is that the response time is under or at 8ms and practically all current displays are even taking into account those who measure the response time in a different manner.

The LG looks slightly better on paper but one thing to be aware is that the LG L194WT display apparently does not support scaling so when running at non wide resolutions you will have black bars at either side of the screen. {It is possible to fiddle with graphics card settings to do the job instead}

However I do not know if that applies to the L194WT-SF if that is a newer revision of the display I'd suggest checking the manual.

I think actually the SF in the model number may simply refer to the colour of the casing(silver), as the other monitor in the series on the website is suffixed with BF, most likely for black. Unfortunately, the site's not letting me download the manuals at the moment.

As for scaling, and black bars at the sides in the case of displaying non-wide resolutions, what does this actually do where scaling is supported? Does it just stretch the image horixontally? Would that not result in a good deal of distortion? Please excuse my ignorance here by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

When running a non-wide resolution on a wide screen display with no scaling support say for instance 1280x1024 you will have black borders on each side of the image filling in the unused space.

With a display that has a built in scaler it can stretch the image to the full size of the display of course this can result in some distortion but it tends to vary on a per application basis.

Some folks hate the black borders and some don't it's one of those things you have to try for yourself.

Graphics card drivers can also attempt to compensate for this by stretching to full screen but most people rely on the monitors scaler to do the job, I have never had to look into it so I'm not really all that familiar with the process (should be straight forward though).

Advertisement