Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[NEWS] Man sentenced to three years for gun offence

Options
  • 19-01-2007 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

From the RTE News site (http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0119/hassani.html)-
    [FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]Man sentenced to three years for gun offence[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica]

19 January 2007 13:16

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A 36-year-old man who was caught in possession of an loaded automatic pistol and ammunition in Limerick last June has been sentenced to three years in prison.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Limerick Circuit Court heard that Ibrihme Hassan, originally from Egypt but with an address in Celbridge, Co Kildare, was delivering the weapon to a major crime figure in Dublin to pay off a debt of €1000.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hassan was arrested with another man in the Prospect Hill area of Limerick on 14 June 2006.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He had been seen taking an object from the sleeve of his jacket and placing it in the glove compartment of a car. It turned out to be a loaded semi automatic weapon with a silencer attached.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hassan initially pleaded not guilty to the two charges of possession of a weapon and ammunition, but changed his plea last week.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]He had been living in Ireland for the past 12 years and was married to an Irish woman with whom he had a six-year-old daughter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is understood he was a chronic heroin user, and got involved in the transport of the weapon to pay off a debt which he owed to a well known crime figure.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Judge Caroll Moran said the transport of weapons was a very serious offence attracting a maximum term of 10 years in prison.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]However, he said given Mr Hassan's guilty plea and the fact that he had a good record up to this offence he imposed a sentence of three years.[/FONT]
    This is the first I've heard recently of someone getting charged specifically with a firearms offence, does anyone know of any other cases?

edited to add:
    Here's a little video (needs RealPlayer or compatible)- http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2210981.smil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Man sentenced to three years for gun offence

19 January 2007 13:16

A 36-year-old man who was caught in possession of an loaded automatic pistol and ammunition in Limerick last June has been sentenced to three years in prison.

Limerick Circuit Court heard that Ibrihme Hassan, originally from Egypt but with an address in Celbridge, Co Kildare, was delivering the weapon to a major crime figure in Dublin to pay off a debt of €1000.

Hassan was arrested with another man in the Prospect Hill area of Limerick on 14 June 2006.

He had been seen taking an object from the sleeve of his jacket and placing it in the glove compartment of a car. It turned out to be a loaded semi automatic weapon with a silencer attached.

Hassan initially pleaded not guilty to the two charges of possession of a weapon and ammunition, but changed his plea last week.

He had been living in Ireland for the past 12 years and was married to an Irish woman with whom he had a six-year-old daughter.

It is understood he was a chronic heroin user, and got involved in the transport of the weapon to pay off a debt which he owed to a well known crime figure.

Judge Caroll Moran said the transport of weapons was a very serious offence attracting a maximum term of 10 years in prison.

However, he said given Mr Hassan's guilty plea and the fact that he had a good record up to this offence he imposed a sentence of three years.

Enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Most recent I can remember is a guy being charged with
    6 firearms charges the possession of a Glock pistols, a Scorpion sub-machine gun and a stun-gun. Before that there was some Kid who was also found
    with a sub-machine gun and AFAIK 300 rnds. The family in question tried
    to make our their little angel was a bit slow and easily led and the weapon
    what not his.

This blog has some info on it:
    http://alivelimerick.blogspot.com/
    (Warning Person who writes this has a very sarcastic sense of humor
    which I like but other people may not like)

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just had a thought: as this guy committed the offence back in June, was he tried under the legislation in place at the time, or under the shiny new amendments?

Also, I think heard on Newstalk earlier that our 'friend' from Gort who got a .308" hole through him after apparently mistaking Garda cars for clay pigeons a few months back has healed up well enough to be charged with various offences with regard to the 'incident'.

In the cases of the first guy and the others noted by bullets, the firearms in question were (presumably) unlicensed and were 'illegal' one way or the other, the Gort incident took place with licensed firearms and I'd see it as a bigger stick with which to beat the legal shooting community than the outright illegal cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

indeed somone walking around with a .22 who can put all 10 rounds through the 10 ring at 50yrds is more harm than some gobshine with an auto scorpion,,, he will pull spray and be done

in the scheme of things 300 round fur a sub marchine gun is not mush if you cant use it

JUST TO BE CLEAR I AM NOT SUGESTING A .22 SHOOTER WILL GO ON A RAMPAGE

you just have to listen careful to whats on the news

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

maglite wrote:
    some gobshine with an auto scorpion,,, he will pull spray and be done
    And will miss his target (statistically, another gob****e) with most of those rounds, but they'll keep on going till they hit something nevertheless.
    Frankly, it's the criminals that worry me far more than ordinary people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Apprently it was a Sphinx 9mm he was caught with[pretty expensive kit].

Proably tried under the new stuff.Well, if they are using Tec 9s and Scorpions[in reality a 32 cal smg],I wouldnt be too worried,untill the heads learn somthing of trigger control,how to use the sights,not shoot gangsta style with inverted pistol,breathing,and how difficult it actually is to shoot another human and especially when drunk and/or high,Limerick will still produce the most inept hit men around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

Sparks wrote:
    And will miss his target (statistically, another gob****e) with most of those rounds, but they'll keep on going till they hit something nevertheless.
    Frankly, it's the criminals that worry me far more than ordinary people!

that actually happened in england a few years ago,two guys fired from a car from the far side of the road at some other rival gang member who was walking,one guy used a tech 9 the other a beretta 92f, they fired and both of them missed him completely and sprayed the wall instead !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

This is sort of off topic but.....
    Rovi wrote:
    was delivering the weapon to a major crime figure
    Rovi wrote:
    which he owed to a well known crime figure

Surely a well known criminal who obviously commits crime on a regular basis should be locked up who can be proven to have having weapons delivered to him. :confused:

Am i missing something here?

Well known criminals is a term i dont get and is up there with debt-buster loans!

This is sort of off topic but.....

Surely a well known criminal who obviously commits crime on a regular basis should be locked up who can be proven to have having weapons delivered to him. :confused:

you need a case here of pardon the pun a smoking gun.IE you need to catch the crim reciving the gun from the dealer,before you can arrest him.Usually a difficult proposition,so it is easier to lift the dealer with the gun and have a collar,than risk a possible shootout situation.
    It will be a loooong time before we will see the Gardai launch a FBI/BATFE style undercover sting operations,where you have a crim taped,and filmed collecting a van load of guns from a bunch of undercover police.

HERE!!!Isnt this sort of postings OT????Considering mine Re mace and the Gardai was locked down???:confused:
    Well known criminals is a term i dont get and is up there with debt-buster loans!

A nice term to prevent libel actions against your paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

My (poorly thought through, I'm sure) take on this is that it's this guy and the like (Carthy, Nally (to a degree), etc) that probably do more damage to legitimate shooting in this country than the gangbangers bustin' caps in each others' asses and taking out the occasional unfortunate innocent bystander.

This guy and the others noted above were licensed shooters, with legally held licensed firearms, and it was those firearms that they used in their rise to notoriety.

I think that most reasonable people who aren't rabid antis can tell the difference between the shooting done by the drug gangs and their cohorts, and that done by the legitimate sports shooting community; but when members of that legitimate sports shooting community go off the deep end and people end up dead/injured as a result, it's not hard to see how many people might think it might be best to do away with as many guns as possible (ie, the licensed ones).
    After all, if it saves just one life...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Rovi wrote:
    Just had a thought: as this guy committed the offence back in June, was he tried under the legislation in place at the time, or under the shiny new amendments?

Legislation is not (for want of a better word) retro-active. You can only be charged with what legislation is on the books at that time, anything that comes into effect after that cannot be applied.

[
    QUOTE=Rovi]My (poorly thought through, I'm sure) take on this is that it's this guy and the like (Carthy, Nally (to a degree), etc) that probably do more damage to legitimate shooting in this country than the gangbangers bustin' caps in each others' asses and taking out the occasional unfortunate innocent bystander.

OTOH if you look ia it like this;since the Nally judgement.Attacks on the elderly in rural areas have dropped to amost nil ,surely a good thing?
    Carthy showed up the glaring gaps in Garda training and tactics in the ERU and mobilised a hidebound state organisation to try and get into a more 21st centuary frame of mind in dealing with deranged people,rather than a shoot first and ask questions later,and brush it under the carpet situation?

This guy and the others noted above were licensed shooters, with legally held licensed firearms, and it was those firearms that they used in their rise to notoriety.
    I think that most reasonable people who aren't rabid antis can tell the difference between the shooting done by the drug gangs and their cohorts, and that done by the legitimate sports shooting community; but when members of that legitimate sports shooting community go off the deep end and people end up dead/injured as a result, it's not hard to see how many people might think it might be best to do away with as many guns as possible (ie, the licensed ones).
    After all, if it saves just one life...

Yeah,but how many times does one of us loose the rag and go off the deep end per annum??0.0001% percent?,and those who do are more than likely sucidies,so the arguement falls there if you remove guns ,people offing themselves will stop,[best ban ropes,pills,booze,cars etc then as wellas those are the more common ways of killing oneself here].As of yet the only people ending up dead here have been the people who held the ligit firearms Carthy,and near enough that fellow in Gort.The innocents killed here have been done in gang or illegally possesd firearms shootings.Four sofar in the last two years.So if it saves just one life,it is best we come down hard on gun carrying criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Okay, we're wandering a long way from the sport of shooting or the use of firearms in hunting here, so on the point of CG's final sentence there, which I think we can all support, I think it's time to call it quits and close the thread. Thanks everyone...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement