Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Dunne

• 19-01-2007 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what are the thoughts on Dunne by the premiership followers? I don't really watch much premiership football these days but I follow it on the internet and he seems to be doing well the last few years now.

Man City player of the season last year for the 2nd year in a row, he came 2nd to SWP the season before.

I think it was last season or the previous season he got Sky motm in Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge and Highbury so he's a big game player.

In the Fantasy football he has 22 bonus points, only matched by Sol Campbell.

And today Micah Richards said:
    “Ever since I’ve come to this club Richard has just been quality. I play with him week in, week out and I think he’s one of the best players I’ve played with. I’ve played with John Terry and Rio Ferdinand in the England squad but Richard is right up there with them.”

When his name comes up on Celtic forums he gets a thumbs down by most fans while the same people would all dream of Distin joining. Why doesn't he get the credit it seems he deserves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Your right dunne is doing well now for the past few years .
    I think he has been one of Irelands better players recently , but is a victim of his past , where he was deemed fat, talented, and a boozer (he arrived in drunk for training at City once !) -- its hard to shake of the label , but as you say he is a quality defender now .
    I follow Everton, and remember him breaking on the scene as a 17 year old , and he oozed potential, I still think he hasn't quite fulfilled his full potential , but nearly there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Very good defender alright but having watched him on a few occasions I used to think he was error prone with some iffy passbacks etc. and it's a side of his game that wouldn't fill me with great confidence. But he consistently performs to a decent level. I personally don't think Dunne can be held in high as regard as John Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

he makes the odd mistake, but no more so than rio does

if he was at a higher club, he would more recognition IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Obviously Richards is getting ahead of himself comparing him to Terry but I'd honestly put him on par with Jamie Carragher. Don't know how many would agree with that though.

Could never understand the fuss about Rio Ferdinand :confused:

What I like about Terry is that when Chelsea badly need a goal, up he pops. Real inspirational captain stuff.

Back on topic, Dunne is good and he's oirish so can't complain really :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Richard Dunne is one of very few outstanding central defenders in the Premiership and doesn't get anywhere near the recognition he deserves.

His career looked like going off the rails a few years ago but he got a good kick up the a*se and it sorted him out. He says himself that becoming a father has made him appreciate the game much more. He rarely puts a foot wrong, has great pace, is fantastic in the air, and is a brilliant man marker. Still relatively young and is a great captain for us with the likes of Richards coming through. Leads by example and is a credit to himself. Wouldn't swap him for Carragher, Ferdinand or any of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Dunne has really progressed in the last three years , he's improved himself technically , developed into a leader and has turned most of the fat on him into muscle .

He has become more consistent , earlier in his career he could put in great performances but rarely 3/4 great performances back to back .

He is deceptively quick for a man of his size and is a monster in the air .
    As Savman pointed out he used to occasionally make **** ups with pass backs etc........this isn't gone from his game but he makes much less mistakes than he used .

Distin is a good centre back but I wouldn't put him above Dunne and considering Dunne is also a much better leader and better at commanding a back line , I feel it would be foolish to choose Distin above Dunne .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Savman wrote:
    Could never understand the fuss about Rio Ferdinand :confused:

See where your coming from but he does have a good positional sense and is a winner as well....

On topic, Dunne is a class act, has alot of McGrath qualities

Dunne is a class act, has alot of God-like qualities
    ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Other than one or two shaky moments this season (Blackburn and Wigan away spring to mind) he's been excellent. Irelands first-choice centre-back without a shadow of a doubt and a great leader at the back. City's home defensive record still sticks out like a sore thumb and if they could do as well away from home they'd be in contention for Europe.

The big question, however, is can his tremenduous home record cancel the mighty Rasiak's away record...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I think he's been fantastic the past couple of years. Excellent for Ireland too, I thought he should have been made captain when Roy retired. He'd make a very good buy for a bigger team (no offence to City fans, I support Spurs!).

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    City's home defensive record still sticks out like a sore thumb and if they could do as well away from home they'd be in contention for Europe.

The big question, however, is can his tremenduous home record cancel the mighty Rasiak's away record...

Funny the week we have all been raving about Dunne , City lose 3 - 0 to Blackburn at home -- didn't see the match -- but managers have been sacked for less !

thebaz wrote:
    Funny the week we have all been raving about Dunne , City lose 3 - 0 to Blackburn at home -- didn't see the match -- but managers have been sacked for less !

Who's been sacked for losing one in seven?

Xavi6 wrote:
    Who's been sacked for losing one in seven?

I wouldn't have thought losing 3 - 0 to Blackburn at home is acceptable !!

thebaz wrote:
    I wouldn't have thought losing 3 - 0 to Blackburn at home is acceptable !!

Well if we sacked our manager every time we had a bad result we'd be through 5 or 6 by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

eirebhoy wrote:
    Obviously Richards is getting ahead of himself comparing him to Terry but I'd honestly put him on par with Jamie Carragher. Don't know how many would agree with that though.

i'd disagree

el rabitos wrote:
    i'd disagree

Why? Dunne's a million times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Xavi6 wrote:
    Why? Dunne's a million times better.

oh no doubt, no doubt.

el rabitos wrote:
    oh no doubt, no doubt.

Phew. Glad we cleared that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Xavi6 wrote:
    Phew. Glad we cleared that up.

great. looking like aloada cornflakes there for a minute....

yummy cornflakes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

See where your coming from but he does have a good positional sense and is a winner as well....

Is there another Rio Ferdinand that is a pro footballer? becaus ethe one who players for Man U is anything but good posistionally.

Henry's goal at the weekend for example, Rio was all over the place.

Crespo's two against Man U home an away in the Cl two seasons back for Milan, exact same thing, Rio is a ball watcher, always has been.

eirebhoy wrote: »
    In the Fantasy football he has 22 bonus points, only matched by Sol Campbell.
    Only Laursen of Villa is ahead of him this season in the bonus points. He consistently dominates games.

He's been rated (by an ex-pro) as one of the best 3 players on the pitch against:
    Man Utd, Arsenal, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Portsmouth, Reading, Tottenham and Blackburn.

That's almost half of City's games. Excellent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Very good defender imo, that said I would take Toure and Gallas everytime over Dunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Excellent for City and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I don't think Dunne is good at all. He is definately prone to errors, doesn't look overly fit, and acts clumsily on the ball. That said, he is tall and is a good header of the ball which - I suppose - could warrant his inclusion in the center of a defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Kevster wrote: »
    I don't think Dunne is good at all. He is definately prone to errors, doesn't look overly fit, and acts clumsily on the ball. That said, he is tall and is a good header of the ball which - I suppose - could warrant his inclusion in the center of a defence.
    Do you watch him regularly? I'd say thats what most people would think of him just by looking at him, he doesn't play like he looks though (luckily).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I've mostly seen him play for Ireland but not for City. Pehapsmy memory is being selective because all I can remember about Richard Dunne are the silly mistakes that he makes! He must be doing something right though if Sven keeps playing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Dunne is probably better than Carragher imo, he is better in the air, as good in the tackle, has more pace and offers a threat from set pieces.

Quality no nonsense defender who would get far more praise if he was at a top club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Sounds like you're talking of the Dunne of 4/5 years ago

• Advertisement

Most naive comment ever. Dunne is a model of consistency and a credit to the team and the fans. I'd have him over 95% of defenders, including the likes of Rio Ferdinand. I suggest you start watching more Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, I think he is a great defender, but better than Rio Ferdinand? God no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Dunne is probably better than Carragher imo, he is better in the air, as good in the tackle, has more pace and offers a threat from set pieces.

Quality no nonsense defender who would get far more praise if he was at a top club.

to be good in the air and score goals isnt an integral part of a defenders game but it helps.carragher is a better defender simple as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Dunne is an excellent player BUT he is not as good as Carragher/Ferdinand/Terry/Toure, who most people would agree are the top 4.

He is though, as good as Agger/Campbell/Vidic/Distin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Dunne is an excellent player BUT he is not as good as Carragher/Ferdinand/Terry/Toure, who most people would agree are the top 4.

You also left out Gallas who is deffo better than Dunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Mr Alan wrote: »

Vidic is way better than both Carragher and Dunne to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Ive been pleasantly impressed with the way Dunne has been playing this season - very composed and stroking the ball about confidently, and Man City's new style fits in with that. His passing is also excellent atm and he seems to have hit just the right wavelength with Hamann / Johnson ahead of him (saw them when ManC were down playing Fulham) whereas I think Carragher has this awful tendency to lump balls forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I personally think Terry is Overrated, and So is Carragher.
    Dunne is a good solid defender.
    Really cleaned up his act over the years.

2 man of the match performances in a row for Dunne brings him ahead of Laursen and top of the bonus points league. ;)

On another note, McShane has 5 bonus points in his last 2 games. Voted motm tonight by the FF judge. Blackburn didn't have a shot on goal other than the peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

That definitely sounds like the Dunne of old.

I've been very impressed with Dunne this season. Now that he isn't playing with clowns at Manchester City, people are starting to realise that he's a decent player. I think that he is especially effective with Richards though, as Richards has the pace to keep tabs on even the quickest strikers while Richards is commanding in the air.

Would be a brilliant Ireland captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I second this. He is having a fantastic season.

• Advertisement

That definitely sounds like the Dunne of old.

I've been very impressed with Dunne this season. Now that he isn't playing with clowns at Manchester City, people are starting to realise that he's a decent player. I think that he is especially effective with Richards though, as Richards has the pace to keep tabs on even the quickest strikers while Richards is commanding in the air.

Firstly he's better than just decent and secondly Dunne is one of the quickest players at the club and has no problem keeping pace with any striker in the league as evidenced in the second half against Liverpool the other day when Torres hadn't a hope of doing him for a ball over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Firstly he's better than just decent and secondly Dunne is one of the quickest players at the club and has no problem keeping pace with any striker in the league as evidenced in the second half against Liverpool the other day when Torres hadn't a hope of doing him for a ball over the top.

He really is a lot faster then he's given credit for. Remember when he was playing in the ireland V Chile match and he kept pace with Gonzalez. Gonzalez had the ball at his feet while running, but that kid is lightning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yep, Dunne surprised me with his pace in the Liverpool game alright. Very quick. I think he will begin to get the credit he deserves this season. Wonder will Sven be able to hang on to him.

Advertisement