Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa & pool still in title race?

• 19-01-2007 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

Link
    "For us to win this game would be a boost for the rest of the season," Benitez told Sky Sports News.
    "We know that we are really close and if we can win people will start thinking about the title or the second position and then we will be focused on that.
    "This is really important for us because the other game is Arsenal and Manchester United - it's vital for all four teams."
    Personally I think he's delusional...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tosh! (Rafas notions that is)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

To be fair, he also mentioned a second place finish. With all the problems Chelsea have had recently, we should be doing our best to reel em in. Finishing above them and sending Jose on his way would be a nice end to the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I've heard of beeing optimistic about your chances, but this is stretching it a bit.

Even with Liverpool so far behind Chelsea, they only have a very slender chance of getting to second. They may take 3rd, but no more IMO. However I believe they will get into the Champions League qualification stage next year.

If they hadn't had such a bad away record earlier in the season, then Benitez would have reason to believe that they could be contendors. Not no though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Why cant we get second?

Chelsea are 8 points ahead of liverpool. We play them at Anfield tomorrow, if we win that makes a 5 point gap, with 14 or so games to play. With all the problems chelsea are having and the fact Liverpool always do really well at the end of the season, added to the fact that liverpool are out of most other competitions with a fit squad due to the rotation at the start of the season, I wouldnt write us off second place yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Why cant we get second?

Chelsea are 8 points ahead of liverpool. We play them at Anfield tomorrow, if we win that makes a 5 point gap, with 14 or so games to play. With all the problems chelsea are having and the fact Liverpool always do really well at the end of the season, added to the fact that liverpool are out of most other competitions with a fit squad due to the rotation at the start of the season, I wouldnt write us off second place yet.
    Well I would, frankly. In fact I have my doubts they'll even get 3rd, I can see Arsenal getting that spot with Liverpool and Spurs battling it out for 4th.

As for "all the problems Chelsea are having" - I think you may be taking the tabloids a bit too seriously, Mourinho loves nothing more than a siege mentality. Make no mistake, he will have Chelsea rallied so they come out fighting thru all this supposed negativity. I still think its all just Jose's mind games to get money from the board.

Also I don't think Liverpool being out of all competitions gives them any advantage whatsoever and having seen their "squad" in action against Arsenal in the Carling cup I think Liverpool, more than others, will rue injuries and suspensions because from what I've seen they simply don't have the strength in depth to lose someone like Gerard or Alonso. Arsenal can still perform without Henry as can United without Rooney and Chelsea without many of their galacticos ;)

But if they finish 2nd, or better still (according to Rafa) somehow manage the title itself, I will give them due respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Im a Liverpool fan but Man Utd wont slip up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

considering the start made to the season, 3rd place would have to be considered a good achievement.

winning the league or 2nd place would require winning nearly all the remaining games, including taking points off man u and chelsea, all possible but not very likely given the limitations of some of the players tbh.

i'd be happy to consolidate 3rd spot, and see how far we go in the champions league. a top class winger, a top lead striker and rightback (dani alves) for next season are the bare minumum needed to mount a challenge imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Not unless United press the self destruct button and i doubt they will

And for the "Chelsea Crisis" I have yet to be convinced they are out of race, they are very much in it and i would not be surprised if they win title by a couple of points.
    They are a great team and they also have that fighting quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

No chance of catching United. Beat Chelsea and theres a good chance of getting second. Defeat to Chelsea and its goodbye to 2nd place.

So Liverpool to finish 2nd or 3rd ahead of either Arsenal, Chelsea or Man U? Sorry can't see it happening...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I could see Liverpool get 3rd. Its conceivable that they catch Chelsea, 8 points is far from an insurmountable gap mathematically. But when you look at the squads, it suddenly seems to become an incredibly hilariously remote possibility.
    I think that liverpool may be able to hold 3rd and propel themselves a few points from Arsenal and ... Bolton... but then Arsenal have looked a lot more threatening than liverpool, (Not mentioning THAT result) and Arsenal's squad players are making an impact.... We will have a much clearer picture of how this season is going to shape up after this weekend's two big games.

Savman wrote:
    So Liverpool to finish 2nd or 3rd ahead of either Arsenal, Chelsea or Man U? Sorry can't see it happening...

finished above arsenal last season and only 1 point behind united. personally i dont think theres a great deal between liverpool, man u and arsenal. arsenal have at times been dire over the past couple of seasons. when they can dictate a game they're the best in europe imo, but when they cant and come up against the likes of bolton they just fold and are completely ineffective.

man u's problems are similar to liverpools only in different areas of the pitch, both squads have too many average players

all in all i dont think theres much between those 3 teams. writing liverpool off and giving zero credit is easy to do when any tom, dick or ray houghton who thinks they're an "analysist" start going off on one of their half assed rants.

el rabitos wrote:
    finished above arsenal last season and only 1 point behind united. personally i dont think theres a great deal between liverpool, man u and arsenal. arsenal have at times been dire over the past couple of seasons. when they can dictate a game they're the best in europe imo, but when they cant and come up against the likes of bolton they just fold and are completely ineffective.
    Yeah but they don't play Bolton every week ;)

el rabitos wrote:
    man u's problems are similar to liverpools only in different areas of the pitch, both squads have too many average players
    While that may be true for Liverpool, I can't honestly say the same for Man U.
    el rabitos wrote:
    all in all i dont think theres much between those 3 teams. writing liverpool off and giving zero credit is easy to do when any tom, dick or ray houghton who thinks they're an "analysist" start going off on one of their half assed rants.
    Who are you talking about here? Me? Sorry I can't be more positive for your Liverpool's chances but it's only an opinion, and most definately not a "half assed rant". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I don't care where they finish once they beat Chelsea at the weekend.

In fairness.. Utd have squad problems but at least they have a squad to fall back on...

Liverpool's bench wouldn't look out of place in a dole queue at the moment.

Savman wrote:
    Yeah but they don't play Bolton every week ;)

no, but they play them twice and still drop points at plenty of other grounds. i just think they'll drop alot more points than liverpool will against the smaller teams. not something i would have ever thought i'd say about liverpool.

Savman wrote:
    While that may be true for Liverpool, I can't honestly say the same for Man U.

lets not start making lists, i'm well aware of liverpools limitations, there's plenty of average players. if anyone cant see uniteds limitations in regards to some of their squad members aswell, then theres no hope. suffice to say, u wont see liverpool bidding 20 million sterling for owen hargreaves.

Savman wrote:
    Who are you talking about here? Me? Sorry I can't be more positive for your Liverpool's chances but it's only an opinion, and most definately not a "half assed rant". :rolleyes:

i was refering to houghton, i think he's awfull. definETely awfull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why has this thread yet again desended into a Pool v Utd debate? Just don't let in 6 this week and I'll be happy.

Yeah thank god for Benitez inspired spending. His shrewdness in the transfer market is obvious to us all.

el rabitos wrote:
    i was refering to houghton, i think he's awfull. definETely awfull.
    Awfull or awful? See? I can spell check too but it's stoopid and doesn't show you in a very good light considering the discussion has been quite civilised so far.

Liverpool can be a good team on their day and I hope they finish exactly where they deserve, whatever position that may be. Take that as an insult or a compliment, it doesn't matter these things sort themselves out come May. I wouldn't get too worked up over it bud :p

Savman wrote:
    Awfull or awful? See? I can spell check too but it's stoopid and doesn't show you in a very good light considering the discussion has been quite civilised so far.

Liverpool can be a good team on their day and I hope they finish exactly where they deserve, whatever position that may be. Take that as an insult or a compliment, it doesn't matter these things sort themselves out come May. I wouldn't get too worked up over it bud :p

i'm not worked up at all, i'm satisfied with where pool are at the moment and delighted to have barca in the champions league. happy camper so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

el rabitos wrote:
    he's awfull. definETely awfull.

when you correct peoples spelling, you should always try and get your own right.

othewise you just look like a twat.

and i dont see liverpool winning this weekend, and even if they do, i dont see them coming second.

when you correct peoples spelling, you should always try and get your own right.

othewise you just look like a twat.

and i dont see liverpool winning this weekend, and even if they do, i dont see them coming second.

who's spelling was i correcting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FFS! Leave it.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Ah the joys of a playground....

He started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Savman wrote:
    Well I would, frankly. In fact I have my doubts they'll even get 3rd, I can see Arsenal getting that spot with Liverpool and Spurs battling it out for 4th.

Eh.... who?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Eh.... who?
    Can't you read?
    Here we go again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You do reaise there's an 11 point gap there? 14 If Liverpool in tomorrow? And four or five teams in the way?
    Liverpool should either hold third or fourth, but if they get into a battle for Champions League spots, I doubt it'll be with Spurs.

Yes they're 10pts off Arsenal in 4th, I think it'll be Spurs but Portsmouth are looking good and have a decent squad now. Don't fancy Bolton although a part of me would hate if they got a CL spot cos I generally dislike the way they "play".
    Let's just see what happens this weekend shall we? I'm excira and delira :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If football have thought us anything, it ain't over till it's over. Personally, I'd just love it, love it, if Liverpool beat Chelsea :P

That said, I won't me putting money on Liverpool finishing second. Once Terry gets back they will stabilise, and although I think Liverpool will close the gap over the course of the year, I think they are too inconsistant to take over Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Nobody has yet called this for what it is yet, so allow me:

Liverpool havent a f*cking hope of finishing in the top 3, let alone the top 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Archimedes wrote:

umm to be fair there is quite a decent chance of being in the top 3 come the end of may.. "Haven't a ****ing hope" is a tad over the top..

I would however agree it would take some serious faltering from Chelsea to fall outside the top two, the only chance being if Terry suffers another setback and no decent replacements are brought in. And even with that it hinges on pool winning tomorrow and maintaining a phenomenal run to the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

A Chelsea with Cech and Terry ruling the defence is a far more fearsome prospect than the Chelsea we have seen over the last month or so.

It's very hard to see Liverpool's squad competing with them over the course of the season, 3rd place is the most realistic target I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Liverpool wont be competing with Chelsea for anything this season. Maybe Arsenal, but with Henry back in full swing, Liverpool can take 4th for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

If Liverpool win their home games against the other of the Big 4, they've every chance of coming second - first would be reliant on a huge collapse by United - but thats highly unlikely as United were playing well below their best for the first 10 league games of the season and still dropped feck all points because their opponents were usually even worse - so I just cant see them dropping a heap of points now.

I dont think Liverpool are inconisistent, they just took a long time to get going. Since about 10 games in, Liverpool's record against non top 4 teams has been as good as ManU and Chelsea, and I expect that to continue till the end of the season. But winning games against the big 4 is another thing. I can't remember the last "big" league game Liverpool won. Feels like an awful long time ago - so I'm not confident of that streak been broken.

• Advertisement

Liverpool aint gonna win too many big games this season.
    I'd love it if they won today, but realistically, it's hard to see. And squad for squad liverpool cant even come close to matching Chelsea or Utd.
    They are much closer to Utd than Chelsea but Utd have an added 6 point cushion. Even Arsenal are a more fearsome prospect than Liverpool at the moment, and Rafa's sloth in the transfer market is crazy considering how badly they need some new blood. Though considering how he has spent 70 million quid so far, I wouldn't be desperate to give him my millions for a wise investment.

A team that won 8, drew 1 and lost 1 of its last 10 league games isnt doing too badly.

It took a while for a number of the new signings to gel, but over the last 10 league game, their form has been just as good as United, Chelsea, Arsenal - perhaps even better.

A raft of new signings would be the last thing needed at this stage as that would only disrupt things.

Undoubtedly its a fair comment that they havent been producing in the big league games. Personally I think its a mental thing rather than physical ability. They have outplayed and beaten Chelsea and ManU in cup games, but havent been able to do it in the league. Knowing that they've lost so many league games on the trot to the big teams will also weigh heavily.

We do need a centre back, but its very difficult for a centre back to come in mid-season and gel straight away - as proven by Vidic this time last year. So IMO there's no need to rush in and splash out big money on new signigs at this stage. Take your time, and if the right man is available then go for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Liverpool are in better form than Chelsea at the moment. Them challenging United is no more far fetched to me than Chelsea challenging.

Are you serious? The pool are coming back on form and could well challenge today but to suggest them surmounting chelsea, 8 points ahead, and then Man Utd, currently 14 points above them is either the delusional ravings of a madman or the internal monologue of someone who God owes a favour to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mathematically Liverpool aren't out of the title race. Realistically they are. I've been waiting all season for Utd to drop points or to get injuries and it just hasn't happened. Chelsea do seem fragile at the moment but I wonder how much that's really going to affect them. I can see Liverpool beating Chelsea today (fingers crossed) and then going to West Ham away and having a nightmare.

As much as I would love Liverpool to challenge for the title, the aim for the rest of the season has to be second spot. Oh, and winning the Champion's League :D

• Advertisement

Are you serious? The pool are coming back on form and could well challenge today but to suggest them surmounting chelsea, 8 points ahead, and then Man Utd, currently 14 points above them is either the delusional ravings of a madman or the internal monologue of someone who God owes a favour to.

You sir should read my post again. And then read it again, and then once more to be safe. If you think you suitably understand it, then come back and reply again.

U said that Liverpool challenging Utd is as realistic as Chelsea challenging them. I disagree. Seeing as how there is a huge points difference, as well as differences in terms of squad depth, cech back today complete with silly helmet, I really don't see why you need to resort to condescention to get your point across.

Cause with a name like Dr Bollocko you strike me as someone who wouldn't mind a bit of condescention.

I hope the current score line backs up my point. (in saying that i've put a cheeky fiver on chelsea now at 20-1)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Last season, Liverpool pulled back 6 points on United in the last 7 games, wasn't it? At the time (with about 7 games to go or so), United were 8 or so points behind Chelsea, and Liverpool 8 or so behind United. But nevertheless United had a decent chance of catching Chelsea, but Liverpool didn't have a chance of catching United, despite the points difference being the same. What actually happened was that United didn't really get close to Chelsea, while Liverpool ended up only one point behind United. Some people seem to think that just because its Liverpool they don't have a hope.

But I digress.

Liverpool don't have a realistic chance at the title this year. Second, however isn't beyond us, even when Terry comes back. Assuming that we do win 2-0 today, the gap will be 5 points. Liverpool's league form has been fantastic of late. Of the last 11 games, we've won 9. Lost 1. Isn't bad. Depending on how the Arsenal-ManU game goes tomorrow, we've as much a chance of getting second as Chelsea have of getting first.

fade2black wrote:
    I hope the current score line backs up my point. (in saying that i've put a cheeky fiver on chelsea now at 20-1)

Good use of a fiver.

I thought so. I never wanted to win that bet and by putting it on I knew I had cursed Chelsea.

Fair enough. You could always out another one on Spurs challenging for the Champions League :D

lol. To be honest, I was sick of getting my hopes up about something beating Chelsea only for them to pull it out of the fire. Just in case they did it today I've have some fiscal compensation.

fade2black wrote:
    Cause with a name like Dr Bollocko
    Indeed. It is rich to talk like a bollocko, and then complain when people talk back to you like you're a bollocko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Archimedes wrote:

You still sure?

• Advertisement
Advertisement