Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBA project

Options
  • 19-01-2007 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I am a final year MBA student at one of top-ranking European Business Schools. Well, it’s a time to start thinking about my MBA project and dissertation. Ideally, I would like to find an interesting and commercially valuable one - areas Business Strategy and International Market.

Perhaps, some of you work in IT/Telecom area and would be interested in a project in his/her company. Benefits you get are fresh, academic look at your company performance and strategy; project is going to be supervised by a professor from a top-ranking business school, etc.

Please, drop me a few words or post your thoughts here. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Does the M in the MBA stand for modesty?

On reading your post I wonder.

Many many years ago, when a friend was mouthing off about his PhD in a pub in Dublin, a man at the bar asked him what qualifications he had.
    BA,MBA,Phd was the answer, to which the man responded:
    Bull added
    More bull added.
    Piled higher and deeper.

It seems you are pretty much there if you see the need to refer TWICE to the top-ranking business school.

Top ranking by what standard?

What would read some what better perhaps would be

I am a final year MBA student at Muff, Co Donegal Business School.
    I have x years working experince in .....
    I am fluent in ..... and have a working knowledge of ... and...
    I have a particular interest in Business Strategy and International Marketing, with particular ref to IT/Telco and am doing my thesis on X and Y in this subject area. I would very much like to inform the theory with commercial reality. My supervisor, Professor DoLittle is an internationally recognised expert on bla and bla

You get the idea?

Must go now, my pint is gone flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

so its TOP RANKING yea?

lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Juggle

Well your post is truly a ringing endorsement of your school and course, can't come up with your own ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

strang3r wrote:
    Hi,

I am a final year MBA student at one of top-ranking European Business Schools. Well, it’s a time to start thinking about my MBA project and dissertation. Ideally, I would like to find an interesting and commercially valuable one - areas Business Strategy and International Market.

Perhaps, some of you work in IT/Telecom area and would be interested in a project in his/her company. Benefits you get are fresh, academic look at your company performance and strategy; project is going to be supervised by a professor from a top-ranking business school, etc.

Please, drop me a few words or post your thoughts here. Thanks.

Top ranking eh..... Would it be Smurfit? Wouldnt give Smurfit the steam of my p1ss.... The very college that is so desperate for heads that they take in the DBS and Portobello students of this world (Daddy bought me a degree etc). Nobody else would look at them. They were texting me telling me they had "limited places" in October. Yes top rated alright ;) Two words, overpriced and overrated.

Mind you if this "European Business School" was "top ranking", they would have their own set of business affiliates? yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭pjbrady1

Perhaps, on this time on this planet you would have learned where to place a comma. Yes, there are two deliberate comma mistakes in this paragraph, included for "make benefit education experience of repeat from textbook MBA student".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

pjbrady1 wrote:
    Perhaps, on this time on this planet you would have learned where to place a comma. Yes, there are two deliberate comma mistakes in this paragraph, included for "make benefit education experience of repeat from textbook MBA student".

Are you talking to me or our friend up the top?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

What's with all the negativity?
    He was introducing himself, explaining the purpose of his post, what he has to offer people and the benefits to them.
    It was a post on a message board not a formal letter.

Smurfit MBA
    What ever your personal opinion, the Smurfit MBA is recognised as the best MBA in Ireland.
    You need to do the GMAT (which is tough) to get into Smurfit, while a lot of the other Irish MBA's don't require it.

OP Advice
    Give more information:
    Are you offering this service for free?
    Are you part of a team?
    Will you be working in house?
    What sort of time frame?
    What specific area of company operations would you work in?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

PHD's are for people who want to teach or spend their lives poking around in LAB's.

A MBA is not the be all and end all but it will take a person a long way in life, and if someone really wants to make it to the top positions in a company, a MBA is a bit of a pre-requisite these days. It is highly admirable in the USA to hold a MBA.

Id love to know how many of the people here throwing around stupid comments hold MBA's and/or earn over 100K.

Also, the comment about the guy in the pub saying:

Bull added
    More bull added.
    Piled higher and deeper

Whilst your friend was wrong to be bragging about his PHD and should just be content in knowing himself what he has achieved, the guy who made the comment probably spends the majority of his time down the pub, chattin with the Lads and havin a few beers... but thats about all he'll do in his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

*that's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

ircoha wrote:
    Many many years ago, when a friend was mouthing off about his PhD in a pub in Dublin, a man at the bar asked him what qualifications he had.
    BA,MBA,Phd was the answer, to which the man responded:
    Bull added
    More bull added.
    Piled higher and deeper.

What possible relevence does this have to the thread? It sounds like someone who is bitter because he has no education.
    ircoha wrote:
    What would read some what better perhaps would be

I am a final year MBA student at Muff, Co Donegal Business School.
    I have x years working experince in .....
    I am fluent in ..... and have a working knowledge of ... and...
    I have a particular interest in Business Strategy and International Marketing, with particular ref to IT/Telco and am doing my thesis on X and Y in this subject area. I would very much like to inform the theory with commercial reality. My supervisor, Professor DoLittle is an internationally recognised expert on bla and bla

It would be completely inappropriate to put such detail onto a public forum.

Strang3r, I would be interested to know what BS it is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Smurfit MBA
    What ever your personal opinion, the Smurfit MBA is recognised as the best MBA in Ireland.
    You need to do the GMAT (which is tough) to get into Smurfit, while a lot of the other Irish MBA's don't require it.

Recognised by who? That is spouted all the time when the topic of MBA in Ireland comes up and it is'nt true. Here are the FT rankings.

http://rankings.ft.com/rankings/mba/rankings.html

Now I know that people are gonna say rankings dont stand for a thing but they stand for enough to suggest that the gulf between smurfit and TCD is nowhere near large enough to clearly say the UCD MBA is the best everytime. And interestingly enough Smurfit only accounts for an average salary increase of 72% while for TCD it is 90%.Thats quite a difference and I know money is not everything but I think that says something about how the degree's are perceived.

Smurfit MBA

That point is redundant as, lets be honest, if your comparing Irish MBA's on an international scale the only two that count is Smurfit and TCD and you need to do the GMAT for TCD. Also UCD consider a score of 550 to be "competitive" while for TCD the average is between 600-650.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

The FT rankings also put Pennsylvania and Columbia ahead of HBS, LBS, Insead and Stanford which I find surprising.

Also trinity attracts far more international students so

a) this has an effect on its ranking even though this could be because Irish people recognise Smurfit as Irelands leading business school

b) means that its difficult if not impossible to compare salaries and wage increases as it can be assumed that most of the non Irish students will go and work abroad, where wage rates will differ.

Looking down the rankings, it appears that only Trinities international students and slightly higher wage rate puts its ahead of Smurfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

padser wrote:
    Also trinity attracts far more international students so

a) this has an effect on its ranking even though this could be because Irish people recognise Smurfit as Irelands leading business school

Well surely that is all part of being "the best MBA in Ireland"? I would have thought international recognition was a major part of it.
    padser wrote:
    b) means that its difficult if not impossible to compare salaries and wage increases as it can be assumed that most of the non Irish students will go and work abroad, where wage rates will differ.

Thats a pretty big assumption. Any stat's to back this up?
    padser wrote:
    Looking down the rankings, it appears that only Trinities international students and slightly higher wage rate puts its ahead of Smurfit.

Well like I said surely International reputation and higher wage rate are two major factors in determing how good an MBA programme is? Says a lot about how the degree is perceived in industry.

I am not saying that TCD MBA is indeed better than Smurfit. What I am saying is that a lot of people just quickly assume Smurfit is the best and disregard the TCD programme. I am not suggesting for a second that the ft survey proves TCD is better either, I am just saying it shows that there is not that much of a gap between the programmes and the TCD degree should not be so quickly disregarded.

What I was responding to was informations comment that "the Smurfit MBA is recognised as the best MBA in Ireland.". Many people seem to have this attitude and I am just pointing out it is certainly not that clear cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I'm amazed the initial post has resulted in such vitriol. All of you should get a life. If you can't be of any help to the person posting, don't bother your balls replying.

ps. I know pedantry can be a problem on boards so, just before anyone mentions it, I can't be of any direct use to the OP, as I'm a student myself.

Advertisement