Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feyenoord thrown out of Uefa Cup

• 19-01-2007 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Linky

UEFA appealed the original sentence handed down for crowd disturbances against Nancy and Blackburn.

Expelled from all UEFA competitions this year.

Spurs set for bye into last 16.

I'm down a minimum of €150 for my flights to/from the home leg...:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Wow. Should the team that finished behind Feyenoord not take their place as opposed to just handing Spurs a bye into the last 16? Martin Jol and co. probably can't believe their luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bummer about the flights, sure why not just take a trip over anyways?

UEFA finally getting tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Possible that Wisla Krakow will replace Feyenoord in the last 32, having finished 4th in the same group. UEFA decide on Monday.

Don't mind either way, but possible a side who won just one game in group stages (finished with 3pts) could compete in last 32...

seansouth wrote:
    Bummer about the flights, sure why not just take a trip over anyways?

UEFA finally getting tough.
    Yeah I certainly wouldn't let those flights go to waste. Rotterdam is right beside Amsterdam no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kinaldo wrote:
    Yeah I certainly wouldn't let those flights go to waste. Rotterdam is right beside Amsterdam no?

Yep and Cork is near Kerry. None of which makes any difference seeing as Spurs play in London.:D

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Yep and Cork is near Kerry. None of which makes any difference seeing as Spurs play in London.:D
    lol

:o

Slow boards means I'm posts before I reply...:(

The away leg was supposed to be the 15th, to avoid getting my head stoved in I booked flights to Amsterdam Weds-Fri, with intention of getting train down. I'll definitely use those.

Problem is the home leg on 22nd...bought a tciket for a mate of mine, had arranged to swap seats with another bloke so we could sit together. Flights home were very expensive because its the day before Ireland play England @ Croker, but booked anyway...hence down €150.

Not even worth me travelling over for the night, cos the flight back is at 8am from Stansted and I can't even begin to think of getting up at 5am to get there in time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Ironic - Spurs got thrown out of Europe in the 70's for rioting during a UEFA Cup Final 2nd leg - against Feyenord

thegills wrote:
    Ironic - Spurs got thrown out of Europe in the 70's for rioting during a UEFA Cup Final 2nd leg - against Feyenord

Banned from playing two European ties @ WHL.

Situation further complicated by Polish government suspending board of the Polish FA, inviting possible FIFA sanction including Polish sides being suspended from Euro competition.

5th place Basel FTW!

Clicky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Good to see UEFA coming down gard on this kind of thing.

Inter had the same "incident" a few years ago in the Champions League, but were allowed to continue in the competition (albeit behind close doors), same with Roma a few years before that as well.

It's only by laying down very heavy sanctions (i.e. expulsion) will the types of people who love crowd trouble realise that they will be punishments for thier actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Kojak wrote:
    It's only by laying down very heavy sanctions (i.e. expulsion) will the types of people who love crowd trouble realise that they will be punishments for thier actions.

The problem is that the hooligans/troublemakers from Feyenoord dont care if their team is banned. In fact, they like it as it shows the affect they have had.

Whilst the intentions of a ban are good and aims to get the club and fellow supporters to make a serious dent at the troublemakers, the pattern is usually that the club and the non-troublemakers are equally punished, and even if ring-leaders are routed out, others will come in and in time (just a couple of years, 2, 3, 4, etc) the trouble can very easily spark off again. It doesnt take much, a thrown beer bottle and a riot develops.

There's no easy way to stamp it out unless there are very strict controls on how fans go to matches. The most succesful method is route them in, they watch, and route them out, planned like a military operation so that there can be no crowd interaction at all, never mind crowd trouble. The other option is to change your fan base, go for families and older blokes and get rid of all the male 18-30 year olds. Not easy.

I personally think that over the years all this crowd seperation etc has exagerrated fan differences. For example, look at the international scene, and fans such as Ireland or indeed Celtic in Europe, and they never seem to cause any trouble. Yet there can and is trouble at LOI matches and in Scotland with Celtic-Rangers matches. The authorities have given too much respect to the hooligan elements, to much emphasis, too much reporting, too much credence. They feed off that. They should be arrested and kept in prison for a long time, months, and that should apply to the many of the people involved. That way, there is a deterrent to being involved. At the moment, of the few that are arrested, most usually get shipped back on the plane, etc, the next day. Its a farce.

I dont have any easy answers ..... but my rule of thumb is, no deterrent, no change of behaviours.

Redspider

Advertisement