Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay - hold them liable?

Options
  • 19-01-2007 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

Having terrible trouble with a seller on ebay, basically i bought and paid for an item and the seller refunded me without a reason and then the next day he puts in an unpaid item claim against me - i am thinking wtf?

The seller has listed the goods as a UK seelr but is in fact an Asian seller- so i questioned him on this because it was taking far too long to receive it(which i never did) and hey presto the above happened?

I have had previous problems before and the furthest ebay will go is remove negative feedback left for you but won't warn the sellers at all about bad behaviour or dealings because thats who ebay makes their money off. So i am thinking how would i go about taking liable action against ebay - i have all the proof etc - somebody has to make a stand against big companies who are clearly in the wrong.

Any info appreciated.
    Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

your item was taking ages to arrive and when it didn't you were refunded and ebay will remove the negative feedback

everyone knows you gotta be careful with ebay and suss people out so i'm not sure i see what the problem is here especially when your prob wws rectified quickish by the sounds of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sorry, how is Ebay wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I think the problem the OP is having is that the seller listed himself or the goods as being based in the Uk so was expecting a speedy delivery but the seller/goods were actually based in Asia and so took much longer.
    It is somewhat fradulent I suppose and eBay has removed any negative feedback that was received but has refused to warn the sellers about listing the goods incorrectly hence causing alot of grief for everyone involved.

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Yes and also the seller submitted an unpaid item action against me, even though HE refunded me the day before,

empirix wrote:
    Yes and also the seller submitted an unpaid item action against me, even though HE refunded me the day before,
    And Ebay sorted that out.

Did Ebay tell you they weren't warning the seller? How do you know they didn't? I can't find anywhere a public list of sellers reprimanded by the company.

Anyhow, I don't see what good Ebay warning sellers is going to do, as the seller can just carry on regardless if they so wish. Close the account if they get a number of complaints, sure. I also fail to see how you expect Ebay to be able to monitor and verify the location of the goods.

There is a degree of trust required when buying online - thats why Ebay have their dispute centres for when something goes wrong. From what you say, you were able to resolve your dispute through the centre as its intended to function. That sounds to me like the system worked for you.

Why do you now think that Ebay have been negligent, as that seems to be your accusation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

And Ebay sorted that out.

Did Ebay tell you they weren't warning the seller? How do you know they didn't? I can't find anywhere a public list of sellers reprimanded by the company.

Anyhow, I don't see what good Ebay warning sellers is going to do, as the seller can just carry on regardless if they so wish. Close the account if they get a number of complaints, sure. I also fail to see how you expect Ebay to be able to monitor and verify the location of the goods.

There is a degree of trust required when buying online - thats why Ebay have their dispute centres for when something goes wrong. From what you say, you were able to resolve your dispute through the centre as its intended to function. That sounds to me like the system worked for you.

Why do you now think that Ebay have been negligent, as that seems to be your accusation?
    Dude, ebay sorted jack **** out, thats why i am writing here and ebay will do their upmost not to piss off their sellers(who they make their money from), thats why i posted this in the first place! And where did i say i resolved the dispute - are you smoking something

Fair enough, thats my mistake. I misread the end of your post. My other points remain, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

empirix wrote:
    So i am thinking how would i go about taking liable action against ebay - i have all the proof etc - somebody has to make a stand against big companies who are clearly in the wrong.

What is "liable" action? Are you thinking of libel action? Have they libelled you?If you are it still doesn't make any sense.

First of all, you need about $10 million for legal expenses (Not only yours but theirs also as they may be awarded costs). This may seem high but i'm sure the company would fight you down to the last on any attempt to change their policies/business practices. Are ebay registered as a company in Ireland? If they are you will be able to file suit against them in Dublin. How much are you looking for?

In any event, the terms and conditions you agreed to when you signed up probably cover their asses.

The best solution is to shake your fist at the sky and shout a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

empirix wrote:

The seller has listed the goods as a UK seelr but is in fact an Asian seller- so i questioned him on this because it was taking far too long to receive it(which i never did) and hey presto the above happened?
    You can report a seller for this, and ebay remove their account. I've seen this happen numberous times before.

Now finding the for to report a seller - that's a different story.

I agree with the OP's underlying sentiments that ebay aren't too interested in getting involved in the actual transactions. It reminds me of the markets similiar to the ones you see in Eastenders (or like farmers markets even). While the county council or whoever might own the land, and rent it out to the individuals doing the selling, they try to keep away from the mechanics of selling itself. But have you noticed how really difficult it is to make a complaint on ebay these day? One time there was a link on every page to report items or sellers - these days you really have to scurry around everywhere to find a like to report something. It's like they really don't want to see complaints and that they don't care. But when you do complain, they usually don't investigate too much and just remove the sellers account...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Flat

Emperix

I am guessing you paid by credit card?

If so read on.. if not dont bother ;P

Go to your credit card issuer and dispute the transaction. Tell them your story and provide all the evidence you have. They will then refund you and go after the 'seller' for the settlement.

If you read your credit card small print they protect you against such activities of rogue merchants (sellers) and as such will reimburse you.

good luck with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement