Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange bus spotters board!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ok, I always agree with "whatever floats your boat" but am I the only one who thinks people who post message on the internet about the buses they see everyday are a bit strange?!! These guys make a posting everyday with details of what bus they saw, the bus identity number and the route it was on.

Check this out:
    http://p201.ezboard.com/Observ-Wed-17-Jan/fbustravelirelandfrm7.showMessage?topicID=2719.topic

Someone's bound to say it, so it may as well be me:

Is it any different from going onto a message board and pointing out the weirdo's you see? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

humanji wrote:

Is it any different from going onto a message board and pointing out the weirdo's you see? :D
    I think people who cum in their pants when RV387 is doing the 77A today when it's usual route is the 44B deserve a thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some enthralling extracts:
    AX499 33 Nice smell of a new bus on board
    ra317 has finally got to ringsend garage over the weekend..
    never liked RA317-324 for some strange reason i dont , along with Phibsboros AV22-33 there the buses i dont really like.!!

Most pathetic:
    nd last but not least, AV335(Swift) all on its own travelling through Cabra en route to Drimnagh Rd. on the 122 at 9.25pm tonight, a sight which will not be witnessed in the coming weeks, feel like crying
    and good ridance, now after i post this im not gona see her on the 120/121 when i go out?? is she really gone,, i mean dont get my hopes up if its untrue!!!!!

Funniest:
    AV139 and AV368 met each other outside my house on Dowth Avenue

Why in the name of **** would you take down a list of all the buses you've seen and post about them? There's one guy, 'madaboutbuses', seems to post everyday with a big list of every bus he's seen that day, sometimes with juicy speculation as to where it was headed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

That is [nocensor]****ed[/nocensor] up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

This site is class,some more gems...
    AV70, complete with Orange LED, on the 161 on Saturday the 13th. Destinations were properly programmed for Rockbrook and Nutgrove.
    oops, sure we aint all perfect are we???
    AV141 on the 120 all day.
    Strange...give it a few weeks before we see Peak time obos of RA317 and RV503 on the 3!!! i mean im still gettin over RV456 and 640 operating out here...
    Meanwhile, south of the river...

I noticed that the 45A was almost completely Olympian operated this afternoon, despite its official "low-floor" status.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

humanji wrote:

At least weirdo spotting provides some sort of entertainment, bus spotting though...why...how would anyone find that interesting?!

Could be a good spot for a bit of trolling though..."madaboutbuses" lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

/me awaits the "Bus Enthusiasts" forum request

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

This actually links in nicely with my hobby; bus-spotter-spotting. I spot bus-spotters. Saw madaboutbuses twice so far today, busflyer this morning and av27 not half an hour ago. RV616 is a bit harder to track down though, if anyone notices him around, be sure to give me a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Do you think they compete to spot the rarest of buses, a Dublin Bus that operates in the hours before and during an Ireland soccer international.

**** me, going into town for a match on the night of a crucial game (Ireland V Switzerland comes to mind) Ive seen 3 in a row not show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ehhhh................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

I think it's adorable. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    I think it's adorable. :)

I think its dotie as well. I have a bit of a thing for buses and big lorries myself, but not so bad that I spot them - although from reading a bit of that site it's more stalking.

Can you imagine what it would be like going out with one of these people?

"For your birthday I got you........... a bus ticket!!"

" OH WOW I LOVE YOU!!!"

Silverfish wrote:
    I think its dotie as well. I have a bit of a thing for buses and big lorries myself, but not so bad that I spot them - although from reading a bit of that site it's more stalking.

" OH WOW I LOVE YOU!!!"
    Not to mention the kinky outfits they'd bring out in the bedroom...the "Sexy Bus Driver"...the "Naughty Ticket Collector" outfit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's a code, they're all drug dealers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

rb_ie wrote:
    Not to mention the kinky outfits they'd bring out in the bedroom...the "Sexy Bus Driver"...the "Naughty Ticket Collector" outfit...

I think we have a bus-shelter (ie closet) spotter here! Admit it!:p

On topic, are there any "bus-racer" types on that site? And what would be the Ferrari in the bus world? The 2fm roadcastor (or is that a truck?) Or one of those circuit lap-dancing things that I saw on CSI Las Vegas one time?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Some people like buses, some people like cars, theres a huge thread on boards.ie about cars they saw, same thing if you ask me. At least the people in the bus thread will get to ride in them LOL

Here's what I saw today
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054985572

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Some people like Boats, some people like Buses, some like trains who cares i for instance like Military Hardware like this baby! mmmm! Bring on the Noise!

1-18.jpg

http://www.ukar.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=26501

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

People do this with planes as well, right? Up by the airport? (Dublin)

InFront wrote:
    People do this with planes as well, right? Up by the airport? (Dublin)

Did you even look at the above post?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Are these the types you see standing on the side of the road armed with yellow jackets and clipboards furiously scribbling something down whenever a bus goes past?

There's a lot of things I don't understand, and this is definitely another one to add to the list. If I ever take anything like this up, I give you all permission to shoot me.

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote:
    Did you even look at the above post?:rolleyes:

Right. I'm actually talking about planespotting... regular planes, at the airport,. like I said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think a gang of us should join that forum and post lots of fake sightings to f**k with their minds...

muwuhuhahahahaha!!

I think we have a bus-shelter (ie closet) spotter here! Admit it!:p

Lol, never! As grimloch said, if I ever take up something like this bizarre hobby, I give everyone the permisson to shoot me (well...maybe not shoot me...but a strong kick in the balls to snap me out of it).
    grimloch wrote:
    Are these the types you see standing on the side of the road armed with yellow jackets and clipboards furiously scribbling something down whenever a bus goes past?

Thats what I thought at first, but I think those people are Dublin bus officials who are making sure the buses are running on time. Pity they don't have them on all routes, maybe those lazy bus drivers would get into a habit of actually being on time.
    whiskeyman wrote:
    I think a gang of us should join that forum and post lots of fake sightings to f**k with their minds...

Lol, way ahead of you :D Just trying to come up with things to post...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Bus-spotters suck. Ferroequinologists (train-spotters) rule!

NTM (Who knows the horsepower ratings of various IR locomotive classes and can identify an SD-40T-2 on sight)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rb_ie wrote:
    those people are Dublin bus officials who are making sure the buses are running on time
    They are generally carrying out traffic surveys, not necessarily Dublin Bus officials. The cable counters strung across roads only count vehicle numbers and the direction of travel. They don't recognise different types of vehicles.
    rb_ie wrote:
    maybe those lazy bus drivers would get into a habit of actually being on time.
    Yes, all late buses are caused by lazy drivers. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

LoL this threads funny

Did you guys see the links section? Theres more than 1, here another 1 http://routedatabase.proboards25.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

I have membership with this community and I am not a spotter. I've never taken a picture out in the streets or stood there on O'Connell Street with a jotter and biro out taking down details. I have an enthusiasm from Childhood memories, I joined the forum to share fond memories and maybe broaden my horizon on the scene. I had an interest in mechanics and cars, which lead into buses and fire engines.

Some members on that forum are friends of mine, and I'm sure they wouldn't take kindly to obliviously being made fun of. I'm sure that you may think the hobby is extreme and only anorak wearing weirdo's are into it. Well, the fact is there are more people under the age of 25 in the hobby then there are old weirdos.

It's an enthuasism. Everyone has an enthusiasm, where it be Computers, Gaming, Cars, Motor Bikes, Sports etc... Just this enthusiasm doesn't seem to be accepted socially.

And personnally attacking and patronising members of that community, will surely rattle a few cages when the admin of that forum finds out if they haven't already.

I know a guy who used to collect hand-held torches. Admittedly he was around 11 years old. But thinking someone has a bizarre hobby is hardly a patronising attitude or personal attack. This website is simply unusual for those of us who don't have the interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

InFront wrote:
    I know a guy who used to collect hand-held torches
    I know one who collects aeroplane sick bags. (unused ones).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Silverfish wrote:

" OH WOW I LOVE YOU!!!"

I can't say these people strike me as the in a relationship type. If they were, they wouldn't be stalking busses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

You think thats bad wait till they stand next to you in town and see the uniform then quiz you about the bus! (they know more than me)

<snip> *waves finger* no pimpin' aight!
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

macroman wrote:
    I have membership with this community and I am not a spotter. I've never taken a picture out in the streets or stood there on O'Connell Street with a jotter and biro out taking down details. I have an enthusiasm from Childhood memories, I joined the forum to share fond memories and maybe broaden my horizon on the scene. I had an interest in mechanics and cars, which lead into buses and fire engines.

Some members on that forum are friends of mine, and I'm sure they wouldn't take kindly to obliviously being made fun of. I'm sure that you may think the hobby is extreme and only anorak wearing weirdo's are into it. Well, the fact is there are more people under the age of 25 in the hobby then there are old weirdos.

It's an enthuasism. Everyone has an enthusiasm, where it be Computers, Gaming, Cars, Motor Bikes, Sports etc... Just this enthusiasm doesn't seem to be accepted socially.

And personnally attacking and patronising members of that community, will surely rattle a few cages when the admin of that forum finds out if they haven't already.

Lol!
    SickCert wrote:
    Enough PR for these guys, how about a Snippidy snip?
    <snip>

Don't use this opportunity to pimp your own site. If you want to advertise it, either look into buying advertisement space or put it in your signature.

EDIT: Just noticed you already have it in your signature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Dont be a bore - it will be edited later!

What do you think of Fast car spotters, Plane buffs and Morris Minor rebuilders?

Ok not as boring as the last 84 leaving 60 seconds early with the driver not wearing regulation tie. But its an interest to these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

Some people in this thread are being real c unts about the people in that other forum. It's not something I'm interested in, and I thought it was funny to begin with too, mocking them for a hobby like this (that I can perfectly understand) just isn't on.

Im a plane buff but only the Military stuff please as thats where the noise and speed is!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Steyr wrote:
    Im a plane buff but only the Military stuff please as thats where the noise and speed is!

Just because Concorde's no longer flying...

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Ok, I always agree with "whatever floats your boat" but am I the only one who thinks people who post message on the internet about the buses they see everyday are a bit strange?!! These guys make a posting everyday with details of what bus they saw, the bus identity number and the route it was on.

Check this out:
    http://p201.ezboard.com/Observ-Wed-17-Jan/fbustravelirelandfrm7.showMessage?topicID=2719.topic
    I think I'm gonna be sick :mad:

I saw a lot of sick things in 'Nam, but this...this really takes the biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

Too funny, I never knew that bus spotting was so popular! I live in the country, buses on Tuesdays and Fridays! Next week's headlines in The Kerryman "Bus enthusiast dies of hypothermia, sketch pad and pencil found at scene".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

I am the founder/admin of the board in question.

Current (Active) Members: 440
    Daily Posts: 30
    Total Posts: 36984
    Daily Visits: 3655
    Total Visits: 3462463

As the above stats show, it is by no means as quirky or off the radar as you might think.

I'm not offended by the comments in this thread, just mildly amused at the usual human propensity to point at and make fun of people whose interests are different, but essentially harmless. Sure wouldn't the world be a better place if we were were all out mugging, or robbing cars, or stalking children instead of observing and chatting about the bus system?

The board, like the hobby it serves, has a vast range of different members in terms of age, occupation, relationship status (which seems to interest some of you) and degree and/or specific area of interest.

There are quite a few younger members, people under 25 probably making up around 60% of the posters, and the majority are, as you would expect, male. The fact that the men have this interest does not seem to preclude them from relationships, all of the mid to older members seem to be either married or in a relationship, and it is really no different to the spouses than a husband who has, for example, an interest in golf (and in many cases a great deal less time consuming).

Some are interested in "spotting" or tracking the buses, some in the service provision element, others in timetables or historical records and so on. Like any hobby, it ranges from those who partake occasionally, to those who are obsessive or over the top - the type who if a football fan would have the entire house wallpapered in posters and would insist on seeing Accrington Stanley play on their wedding day.

For myself, I started in the "spotting" stage as a youngster, grew to have a more rounded interest, and now am involved professionally, making a reasonable second income as a transport correspondent covering Ireland in a UK trade publication.

Feel free to come and look at the forum any time you want, be aware that posting is by approved membership only, and laugh if you like, if you can really convince yourself that we are so very different from you.

Aquavid
    Founder - www.garaiste.com
    Irish Correspondent - Coach & Bus Week (CBW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Wow.

I must admit though, I do find it hard to understand what it is about buses. I mean planes yeah, they fecking fly. But buses!?!?!? :confused: What is it about them that you guys find interesting?

Btw what do you guys over there think of the Number 27 bus??? (seriously) I fking hate that bus grrrrrrrrr :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Look at this lads:

http://p201.ezboard.com/boardsie/fbustravelirelandfrm23.showMessage?topicID=251.topic

The internet. Serious fucking business.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Sort of like the guys who think they are the latest incarnation of Zelda or some online gaming character..

Well, the internet being what it is, it's a given that if you mention Forum A on Forum B, the people on Forum A will soon find out about it, and if they start posting about Forum B on Forum A . . etc etc.

To reply to Cunny, it's difficult to say, as almost everyone comes to it from a different angle.

Some are very into the vehicles themselves, and track them over the course of their lives (used to be 16 years in the CIE days, now 12 year lifespan under Dublin Bus then sold abroad). Others are very into the timetables etc.

In most cases, buses are not the only interest, many of of members would be regular boards.ie posters in the verious special interest boards, some like planes or trains or sci-fi or radio or all sorts of combinations.

Quite a number work in the bus or rail operators, but there are IT people, solicitors, supermarket workers, students . . . just like real life ;-)

Aquavid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Aquavid wrote:

Some are very into the vehicles themselves, and track them over the course of their lives (used to be 16 years in the CIE days, now 12 year lifespan under Dublin Bus then sold abroad).

Where do they sell the old buses to? Eastern Europe/Africa/South America?

Are they put into use in other less developed countries when they are done here?

wyndham wrote:
    Where do they sell the old buses to? Eastern Europe/Africa/South America?

Are they put into use in other less developed countries when they are done here?

I wish they were, and it's been suggested to the company in the past. There was an appeal for buses after the tsunami, and dozens were donated by UK firms, but none from Dublin Bus of Bus Eireann. (Cronins of Cork donated some)

They are sold through a big dealership in the UK, mainly to smaller private operators who can't afford new buses, or want older buses for school services etc. For example "Happy Al" in Liverpool has just bought 14 doubledeckers from Donnybrook. There are ex-Dublin buses pretty much all over the UK now, and some were sold by the dealer back into Ireland to private operators here.

They generally get around Stg 25,000 per bus, which covers some of the cost of the replacements.

This sale of old buses has only been the policy since 2002, and was forced on the company by the government. Prior to this, for many years since the 1950s buses were sold only for scrap, and the scrappers were not allowed to resell even if there was life left in them. For a long time CIE scrapped all their own buses themselves, apart from a very small number donated to the transport museum, or preservationists.

Aquavid

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

More to the point too in fairness a lot of historically important vehicles have disappeared because of this policy of DB/BE management:

Remember the big green boxy buses that were so loud you could forget having a chat downstairs? Well the whole shannon region benefited from them being made in the 1980's when the economy was in crisis. The guts of over 300 double deckers and just under 500 single deckers does a lot for the local economy, right down to the shops where the workers buy their lunch, the airport, the shipping business.

Dublin Bus only changed their policy on this one because of the rules governing the disposal of state assets. Also there were few private operators if any until recently, so their policy of scrappage kinda had little point to it.

Thats why there is wonderful thing called preservation, Hundreds of vehicles preserved in various museums and privately owned.

A list of vehicles could be found here, although probably be double dutch to you guys!

I like the 27, gets me to college everyday. 42A is faster though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Are any of these old schoolie ones still around? Oh the memories. :)

According to the list above there are 2 fully restored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Brill! Your backside stuck the seat in the Summer nearly melted to it and numb in the Winter with the plastic-ey fabric. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement