Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone love their wood pellet boiler?

Options
  • 19-01-2007 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

We are currently building and looking into wpb instead of gas or oil fired boilers. Heard that supply of pellets are inconsistant, either damp which clog or not of the right densisty creating alot of dust. Basically if you want to be eco conscience be prepared to sit with your boiler to keep it lit. Anyone own one and is it a pain to have?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to Gardening/DIY.

Delly, I will do a sticky regarding the wood pellet boilers in the Construction forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

cant say I love it, but fortunately to date no major problems. It does require more effort (we dont have a storage tank so filling boiler twice a week) empty ash once a month. Will put in storage when pellet supplies issue sorted. At the moment I am less tied to single supplier by been able to use loose bulk pellets. No massive savings at the moment over oil but hopefully in the long run.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

smashey wrote:
    Delly, I will do a sticky regarding the wood pellet boilers in the Construction forum.
    Roger that.

/EDIT Damn, too much online gaming for me tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 finnbar

thanks for that. What make is your boiler and the biggie your supply of pellets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MalMac

Hope this thread is still live. I am new to this...

We've more-or-less decided to go the pellet route... Seems like there are as many happy stories as warnings. There is the whole eco-argument and oil can only go up and there are the grants...

However we got a quote six months ago and were delayed in starting work and now today, the contractor, who is also to put in underfloor heating and do the rest of the plumbing, warned me he would have to requote as the price of copper had gone up.

OK.

So we got a plumbing quote that went up a lot... that's one issue... but the thing that freaked me out is that...

The price for the 16KW boiler has gone from €5000 to €7059!! Is he taking the piss or what? I'm wondering what anyone else is paying and Towbar, where did you get yours, as I am in Louth also.

Seems to me like when I met him first the chap was straight as he was just starting out (I was his 5th tender) and now he has jumped on the whack-the-price-up-and-absorb-the-grant-bandwagon. Or maybe I just don't know something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

I bought the Verner from Alternative Heat, Newry. Very happy with boiler, and installation. Good bit more expensive than the Gerkros but cheaper than the Froeling a good middle of the road.

What boiler are you looking at?

I suspect your guy underestimated the effort involved in installing. The proper flue alone for my boiler I estimated must have cost close to €1000 (3.5m double skinned stainless steel flue) and the draught controller I'd say was a couple of hundred as well. Install took 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

a mate of mine is the rep for kedco wood pellet boilers in kildare. OM me for his details. even if you are not in kildare, he can put you in the right direction.

he has 15yrs previous in the service industry and is very thorough in his work

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭kennyt

Hi

I am in the process to deciding between wood pellet burner or oil.
    I was all on for wood pellet but oil has gone down in price lately and
    i have heard both good and bad things about wood pellet burners.

anyone got any advice/suggestions/comments?

Thanks

Advertisement