Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skin problems - Westies

Options
  • 19-01-2007 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

My Westie has taken to gnawing at her legs, which are starting to resemble spare ribs. :(

I took her to the vet who advised me to change her diet, which I've done.

But she still has the problem and it's only a matter of time before she breaks the skin.

Has anyone had a similar problem and been able to cure it?

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Westies are notorious for all kinds of allergies, it could be environmental like shampoo or the bedding. It is very hard sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Go to a different vet.
    This is either an allergic reaction, mites, or a skin issue and needs topical treatment.
    Changing her diet may help in the long term, AFTER the problem is properly diagnosed, but she needs treatment for the acute symptoms she is displaying now.

If she does break the skin, things can become very bad very quick via an internal infection.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Thanks - another vet's opinion might be a good idea.

She is on "Front Line" regularly for tics, fleas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Skin problems are really common in westies! Has your vet done an allergy test yet?

Sometimes people find that essential fatty acid supplements are very useful to relieve skin problems such as dermatitis. Ask your vet, because they may be able to recommend a supplement. They may be useful to use alongside other allergy medications.

Usually an allergy is the underlying cause of such problems in westies - the breed has a genetic predisposition to certain allergies. If you can find out the underlying allergen, you can manage your pet's environment and lifestyle better, eg, diet changes or avoiding pollen, etc etc,.....it depends on the allergy. Some vets may be able to use immunotherapy to treat allergies, but it is expensive and results are very variable. But definitely ask about the essential fats cos they could really make a difference!

That's really helpful, thanks. :)

I'm going to take her on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

Had two Westies (girls) with same problem, we found using Malasab Shampoo helped enormously, their quality of life improved no end, but would continue with your plans for a second opinion just in case that it is an allergy or some underlying problem.

amerden wrote:
    Had two Westies (girls) with same problem, we found using Malasab Shampoo helped enormously, their quality of life improved no end, but would continue with your plans for a second opinion just in case that it is an allergy or some underlying problem.

I wonder if that is available in the UK?

I'll definitely check it out. It is reassuring - in a way - to know that it's a pretty common thing in Westies. It's quite distressing to watch her though.

Yes, it was whilst living in the UK that our (very good) vet put us on to it, it really did change their lives and ours, up to then we had tried everything, and numerous vets. I am not in the office today but will send you full details tomorrow morning on my return. It is very distressing to watch her "eat" herself and to feel so useless to help, you can't tell her to stop.

I took her to the vet and they had the shampoo you recommended. They also gave her anti-biotics, and an anti-inflammatory injection. Taking her back in two weeks.

I had to ask about the shampoo - they didn't suggest it. Maybe they would have though.

Anyway, thank you all so much for your advice - it's much appreciated.

Hopefully the medication will now bring it under control, then the shampoo should keep things stable and give you both a better quality of life.

• Advertisement

amerden wrote:
    Hopefully the medication will now bring it under control, then the shampoo should keep things stable and give you both a better quality of life.

Hopefully - and if the shampoo does do the trick, it will be thanks to you guys on here, as the vet never suggested it!

I can't believe how common this problem appears to be. It has been very reassuring in some ways, though still distressing of course.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help folks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Goffie

Hi Livvie
    My westie got bites from grass mites dueing the late summer and started frantically licking all the time...the fur was turning orange and he was only inches from chewing himself.
    Like your second vet, he got an anti-inflammatory injection from first visit, then we saw the vet I prefer cos it was getting no better and he said Jack was allergic to the mites and put him on steroids and piriton - worked like magic!
    The piriton made him a bit drowsy but the steroids worked so quickly he wasnt on it long. If this treatment your fellas on doesnt work maybe you could suggest steroids - just a short course.
    He also suggested we use Malaseb all the time for himself's baths, about every 3 weeks. Makes his fur lovely and soft and he's thriving!
    Best of luck - westies rule!!!
    G

Goffie wrote:
    Hi Livvie
    My westie got bites from grass mites dueing the late summer and started frantically licking all the time...the fur was turning orange and he was only inches from chewing himself.
    Like your second vet, he got an anti-inflammatory injection from first visit, then we saw the vet I prefer cos it was getting no better and he said Jack was allergic to the mites and put him on steroids and piriton - worked like magic!
    The piriton made him a bit drowsy but the steroids worked so quickly he wasnt on it long. If this treatment your fellas on doesnt work maybe you could suggest steroids - just a short course.
    He also suggested we use Malaseb all the time for himself's baths, about every 3 weeks. Makes his fur lovely and soft and he's thriving!
    Best of luck - westies rule!!!
    G

Thanks Goffie. :)

I haven't seen a second vet yet. Will see how it goes for a couple of weeks, and then consider it if she seems no better - so far the injection seems to have worked.

It's a huge weight off my mind atm so let's hope it continues.

I'm with you Goffie - Westies are wonderful little dogs.

Advertisement