Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The offical debate: Racisim or just bullying?

Options
  • 19-01-2007 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I thinkhis program has shown some unacceptable racisim and bullying! OFCOM (the BCI equivialant) has recieved 14000 complaints so far.

Should Jade and Shilpa face questioning from the police?

I would be interested to know what other peoples objective toughts on what exactly the recent events would qualify as?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I've been wondering this too.

Without a doubt what has happened is bullying.

But it's hard to determine whether it's also racism or not. Is it just a personality clash? Would the same thing have happened if Shilpa was British and white. Let's face it, Jade has been involved in bullying before, on her last outing of BB (against Sophie who was very like Shilpa - pretty, educated, articulate, etc, but also happened to be white).

I'm not sure it even matters why the bullying is taking place. Whether it's due to racism or a personality clash. It doesn't matter because the bottom line is that the bullying was taking place and there is absolutely no excuse for it. Jade may have accepted that her Popadom outburst may have come across as racist, and she may have apologised for it. But will she ever understand that the bullying itself was wrong or apologise for it? I think during the apology, Shilpa tried to explain this to her, but Jade never actually stopped talking for more than a few seconds and didn't listen to a word that Shilpa said.

And in this whole thing, let's not forget that Jade is not the only one who took part in the bullying - Danielle, Jack and Jo need to take some of the responsibilty too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's just bullying not racism. I think the media (Sky News in particular) have deliberately blown up the whole thing because they knew the fortutious timing could turn it into an international incident what with Gordon Brown being in India at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

using the word "just" before bullying in the thread title, i'm guessing you don't mean that that makes the bullying justified ;) . like quickbeam i noticed that jade never really saw that she was bullying and that she was wrong, she just saw it as an disagreement, danielle did seem to apologise for making her feel left out and i suppose the bullying.

i think that shilpa being bullied was not down to race(i think it was jade being insecure about herself or something around shilpa who is pretty much a class act), however jade and friends were slagging off shilpa and some of there comments were racist, even if they meant what they were saying in a different way. I think it's jade and friends getting carried away with themselves laughing having fun trying to be clever by insulting shilpa. Not that thats any excuse for bullying/racist comments. So yeah its racism. I think its a pity the bullying aspect is sort of getting lost in the situation, as that seems to be what led to what was said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

In fairness to the OP, I don't think he meant to undermine bullying.
    I believe that in his wording, he meant that racism is worse than bullying, but that bullying is not something to be sneered at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

daveirl wrote:

Totally agree. And its getting lost in the whole controvesey.

A racist causes as much pain as a bully. Be it through psychological or physical means.

as far as the bullying of shilpa goes, I don't believe it was racially motivated.
    As i stated in another thread, Shilpa could have been an english girl who had a priveleged childhood and Jade would have acted the same way towards her. the accent thing would still have come into play as jade and her cronies would have mocked her for having a posh english accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I do believe she is not a racist. Rude and ignorant? Yes.

I just can't believe Channel 4 brought up the racial issue in the Diary Room. Of course Jade would apologise to Shilpa if she knew people outside were judging her for undesirable behaviour.

Anyway, that's it. No more Big Brother for me. Too much working going on behind the scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

julep wrote:
    In fairness to the OP, I don't think he meant to undermine bullying.
    I believe that in his wording, he meant that racism is worse than bullying, but that bullying is not something to be sneered at.

Racism is worse than bullying is it Julep?? hmm.. never been bullied have you?:rolleyes:

To get this back on topic I think the whole racism issue has been somewhat blown out of proportion and taken away from the fact that Jade was a nasty little bully in there. Bullies will draw on anything to destroy their victim - Jade may have unwittingly led herself down the racist path I dont think she consciously meant to do that but she did mean to bully her and my god that she did! That I think is the issue - the bullying. The racism was only part of the larger problem of the bullying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Villaricos wrote:
    Racism is worse than bullying is it Julep?? hmm.. never been bullied have you?:rolleyes:

Look, they are both wrong and can both cause pain/hurt/what-have-you.

There are different degrees of racism as there are different degrees of bullying. You cannot compare the two side by side.

I have only heard bits and bobs of the comments. I am still undecided as to which "title" to give to their behaviour. Repugnant seems best.

Villaricos wrote:
    I have, in the past, been a victim of both and guilty of both (something i am not proud of, but make no excuses for).

I have seen both sides of the coin and therefore feel qualified to comment on both issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Look, they are both wrong and can both cause pain/hurt/what-have-you.

There are different degrees of racism as there are different degrees of bullying. You cannot compare the two side by side.

which is what I believe I was saying? I never said bullying was worse than racism, I was just saying dont be so naive in thinking that racism can be worse. Infact I was saying the exact same as you except in a maybe a less than friendly way.
    My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would describe it as bullying with racist undertones.

I don't think the figures involved appreciate that the comments they are coming out with are racist because they are too ignorant, naive and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Agreed.
    There is clear bullying and harrassment (they persistently sought to catch Shilpa out and criticise her)

However the racial elements are all being said behind Shilpa's back.
    Shilpa will change her mind once she sees all the comments. She will also realise how 2 faced Danielle is. But, she will not charge Jade - far too mannerly for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Chillwithcian

RE: The title of the thread

I would like to point out that 'Just' is to differenciate bewtween the racisim and bullying factors concerned with this issue. I am no way implying that either one is better then the other, bullying and racisim are of course along the same lines and interconnected and i don't condone or think less of one of them any more then the other, they are both equal in their seriousness and the harmfull effects they have on our society, but the point of this thread was to ask wheather it was racisim exclusivly OR bullying exclusivly OR a mixture of both.

Now back to the topic asked in question, after seeing jade last night with davina i feel kind of sorry for her as i don't think she was fully aware of what she was doing, however she did apologise and put her hands up, but maybe a little too late....

Advertisement