Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing loan early.

Options
  • 19-01-2007 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Thinking about using my SSIA to pay off a large personal loan early. Repayments are steep and the rate is hefty too so this make sense for me.

Is there generally penalties for clearing a loan early? I think I remember a few years ago hearing that lenders could no longer penalise.

Also, what is the situation with payment protection. This was part of the loan.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It depends. Was it a fixed rate or variable loan?

If it's a fixed rate, the lender may charge you a fee for closing the loan early. Variable rate loans generally let you close early without a penalty. As for payment protection, an early closure to the loan means the bank will calcuate if any has been overpaid etc and factor that into your closing balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

It's a fixed rate. So what sort of fee are we talking about?

It varies. Talk to your bank and they can do the calculations.

Going in to the bank next week about this. The loan was for €37k. Balance is €20k. What should I expect? A few hundred... a few thousand...? Generally speaking, perhaps.

*repeats last post*

• Advertisement

Hi there BuffyBot!! Thank you for repeating your last post.

Advertisement