Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a decent stepping for my Athlon x2 4800?

• 19-01-2007 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Just got the CPU through adverts today. Has stepping CCBWE. Is this good? I guess it's not the end of the world if it's average but it would be nice to get a little more OC out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

there mena be allright but ya should of got a 165 will go farther.

done a quick look around and seen them around 2.8-2.9

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Okay cool, 2.8 seems nice!!

Can you just help me with one other thing. When i replace my 3700 (in at the mo) with the new x2 4800 do i have to set everything in the BIOS back to default before-hand or will it read the 4800 and set that automatically? I mean would it use the OC settings from my 3700 or just be at default with the 4800? Sorry i didnt explain that very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Shoulda got a 160 or 170. im hitting 3ghz atm. And temps arnt over 38C with 1.5v.

I think my ram is holding me back though.

Anti wrote:
    Shoulda got a 160 or 170. im hitting 3ghz atm. And temps arnt over 38C with 1.5v.

I think my ram is holding me back though.

your ram then use a divider.

I am. But id rather not. As you do take a performance hit from it as the bandwidth is less.

• Advertisement

ya but try it so you say it is my ram not i think its my ram :D

omg this stitek keyboard i got is the bussiness.

Had to increase the CPU voltage to get stable at 2.58GHz. I need a new high end cooler before i go any higher cause running prime (2 instances, blend, small fft) im getting 53C load at 18C ambient... Is that something to worry about at the moment? I am gonna buy a Zalman 9700 as soon as possible so i hope the CPU can handle the temps till then.

Buy a tuniq tower, it is much better. And alot quieter.

Yeah i was checking out the tuniq tower, but it may be too big... I have a TT Armor case. I only just noticed now that its compatible with 775 sockets also so if i got it it would last me when i get C2D/quad! Its cheaper aswell! Yeah i think i might go for it, but i still don't know if it will be the right size for my case...

Alright after a bit of additional research i went ahead and ordered the Tuniq! I hope it will live up to my expectations or hopefully surpass! Thanks for pointing that cooler out. :)

I should have it Wednesday, but this was my first purchase from OCuk so i don't know how accurate that is...

• Advertisement

wed -fri thats when it will come.

Probably in 3 weeks knowing them :p

You will be very happy with it. But have a look out for another fan that could fit it. Something slightly more powerfull. It is a very thing fan too. Not like a case fan..

It did a great jon on my 3500+.
    But my opty is hitting 51c idle. I might take it off and reaply the paste tomorrow.

Oh no not 3 weeks! :eek: Hopefully it will turn up this coming week.

Just can't wait to get this thing on! Then i can shoot for 2.8 and not be constantly glancing at my temps!

This time i actually have good thermal paste. Glad i spent all that time searching for a place that sells AS5 in Dublin lol! Painful! :)

Here are some screens of the opty sunning 2.85ghz.

I re-sat the hsf and the temps have dropped nicely too :D

285ghz1ao.jpg

superpi4jr.jpg

Although i am very dissapointed in the superpi times. My 3500+ would do 27 seconds at the same speeds.

Impressive! How much voltage did you need for that? From stock i mean.

Ah well im happy with my Athlon x2. I guess i got it cause i am used to them and i can compare my previous single core athlon OC's to it easier. I am aware that Optys OC very well, but even if i went for one i probly wouldnt get much past 2.8 anyway due to my system (mobo, ram etc.).

Well i just started with 1.66v. I havent even attempted to drop it yet. As the temps seem fine and its stable. Im gonna push for a stable 3ghz later and tighten the memory timings. As it failed last night on dual orthos.

Cool. Let us know how far you get :)

Looks like i will have to settle with 2.85ghz, Anything above that is just unstable. Oh well. Not to bad i guess :/

Advertisement