Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log Cabin - Life Expectancy

Options
  • 19-01-2007 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to install a log cabin in my garden, nothing too fancy like some of the ones you see, but mainly to use as a workshop and for added storage for the ride -on lawn mower etc.

My main concern is that most of the ones that I've seen are built from spruce or pine, and although the wall thickness is quite thick (around 44mm +), I was wondering how long they'd last in the damp Irish climate. These are the ones built from the interlocking planks.

None of them have been pressure treated and talking to a few people they seem to think getting a treated one would pretty much double the cost.

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

never mind about the damp climate - what about the wind????

My log cabin was built back in May and now the roof has shifted and the company who built it are blaming 'act of God'! When they surveyed my garden and selected the most appropriate location for the cabin, they never once suggested that the structure would not stand up to the West Coast weather - always a consideration round here.

anyone else ever have log cabin problems? After two weeks I am still waiting for the company to come down and inspect the cabin and feel I should get some sort of expert of my own to examine it, as IMO it was badly erected and has given me nothing but problems. Any suggestions?

Advertisement