Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to take part in a train evacuation???

Options
  • 19-01-2007 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Tomorrow, Saturday 20th Jan 2007, organised by Iarnrod Eireann, there will be a mock evacuation of a train, taking place in Dun Laoghaire DART Station at 5PM. This is a training exercise for station staff. For it to be a success, they need as many people as possible to attend.

Please do your best to attend...it could save your life some day.

Once again, DUN LAOGHAIRE DART STATION, 5PM. SATURDAY 20th January 2007.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Would it not be more effective to do an evacuation on a 'real' scheduled train journey? After all, anyone who attends tomorrow will have anticipated what is going to happen!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Would it not be more effective to do an evacuation on a 'real' scheduled train journey? After all, anyone who attends tomorrow will have anticipated what is going to happen!

This makes a lot of sense to me,but in this country you may have people suing CIE for undue stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Well if it's for the staffs benefit I see no reason to mess with unsuspecting peoples schedules if it's avoidable... unless the goal is to simulate having to deal with a load of confused and píssed off commuters.
    tbh I think the cons outweigh the pros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Well if it's for the staffs benefit I see no reason to mess with unsuspecting peoples schedules if it's avoidable... unless the goal is to simulate having to deal with a load of confused and píssed off commuters.
    tbh I think the cons outweigh the pros.
    Aye, exactly, couldn't run a drill with real commuters as they'd have no idea whos schedule they're messing with.

I won't be doing Iaranrod Eireann any favours until they drop their fares tbh, especially seeing as I don't use the train very often. Sorry OP, but unless Iaranrod Eireann are going to pay those who take part, I won't be attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rb_ie wrote:
    I won't be doing Iaranrod Eireann any favours until they drop their fares tbh
    I would have thought that you would be doing a favour to your fellow passengers/general public as trains usually carry these type of people. I have yet to see a carriage full of travelling IR staff.
    Well if it's for the staffs benefit
    The staff's duty will be to evacuate 'passengers' not other staff. How is it for their benefit? It is for the travelling public's benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm sorry I can't go to this, I think it would be interesting to see how long it takes them.

Whatever about evacuating the train though, if you wanted to get a full train of passengers clear of DL station quickly you would have problems. There are delays coming up the stairs from the platform even with just the number of people who would normally alight at the station and the lift is tiny, so it's probably not all mobility-impaired people would be cleared off a full train in even three or four lift trips.

Stations like Lansdowne and Sydney Parade wouldn't have the same stairs problem, which is I suppose why they're doing it at DL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

The staff's duty will be to evacuate 'passengers' not other staff. How is it for their benefit? It is for the travelling public's benefit.
    Have a read of the OP around where it says "This is a training exercise for station staff."
    Presumably so the staff know what role they play in an evacuation.
    I suppose it's a bit like having a fire drill... everyone knows it's a drill, but it's still good practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

My bro's doing this. They hired a load of movie extra types too, they're getting paid 50 euros for 3 hours. They'll probably spend a fair bit of their time on the platform, and looking out the window I wouldn't fancy that too much.

Advertisement