Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a cover up

Options
  • 19-01-2007 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭

It's so strikingly obvious that they've been filled in on what's going on outside the house. It's cynical damage limitation to protect one of the programmes biggest 'stars'.

There's no way they could have worked out for themselves that Jade's racism was such a big issue in the real world and the fact that they've just spent the last hour giving her a platform to defend herself, when she's not even supposed to know what's going in, is a complete stitch up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

It's so strikingly obvious that they've been filled in on what's going on outside the house. It's cynical damage limitation to protect one of the programmes biggest 'stars'.

There's no way they could have worked out for themselves that Jade's racism was such a big issue in the real world and the fact that they've just spent the last hour giving her a platform to defend herself, when she's not even supposed to know what's going in, is a complete stitch up.

You're right it seems quite suspicious that there was more said to her in that 35 minutes in the diary room than the 10 seconds they televised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Obvious fix.
    They told Jade everything .
    Endemol will try to spin this to put that hag Jade in a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Obvious fix.
    They told Jade everything .
    Endemol will try to spin this to put that hag Jade in a good light.

Actually the 'live' coverage on E4 is actually about 40 mins behind rather than the usual 10, so there seems to be something up, as in time for a half pre-briefing before we go back live on Channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Well it did cause riots in india, she should have to be questioned about her actions but what happened has gone beyond anything anyone could of expected especially jade since she appears to be so thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think (hope) this Jade-Shilpa incident will be the straw that finally breaks the back of this show.

It won't be so because of the contraversy but instead because it's showing the cracks of what an orchastrated con-job this whole BB experience is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Did anyone think shilpas diary room change of heart looked amazigly staged.It looked like someone had a gun to her head!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

jbravado wrote:
    Did anyone think shilpas diary room change of heart looked amazigly staged.It looked like someone had a gun to her head!
    It looked pathetically fake.
    Why would she so easily forgive those 2 cretins after all they said about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Shocking how obvious it was that they had coached Jade.

* She was not at all shocked at the lack of noise, even saying to Danielle "I know why that is".
    *Jade mentioned in the diary room that her behaviour had created a fuss. What fuss exactly? We didn't see any fuss towards Jade from housemates so what else would she have meant. She continued to say that she would have to deal with her actions
    *Coming out she didn't look bothered or bat an eyelid. Jade repeated the key phrase "I am not racist" over and over - as if she had been coached.
    * Channel 4 on Thursday asked voters to text 'Housemate' then 'Jade' or 'Shilpa' to 84466. The number is usually 84444 no? By Friday this had changed to just 'Jade' or 'Shilpa' to 84466. Were they banking on confusion not making this a 100% vote?

There were lots more but I cannot recall due to alcohol. :(

PS: A tip for anyone complaining to Ofcom. I used to work in Uk media and it needs to be obvious from the email/letter that you have been watching or the complaint may not be processed. So quote or give examples.

PS2: If enough people complain to Ofcom properly they could order the non-broadcast footage of BB talking to Jade.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Fo someone supposed to be thick it was a well thought-out defence she gave which leads me to believe also that she was informed about events and advised on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

big brother and c4 have used jade to make the show more interesting, back in bb3 they used her in the same sort of way and she made a fool of herself in front of the viewers, i'm not saying it's right or wrong as she went in by her own free will and it worked out for jade after she got out, this time it blew up in their faces and if they are seen to throw her straight out of the house, without preparing her for the onslaught of hate etc they'd be seen as exploiting her and ripping her apart just for fun and the show.

I don't see it as a cover up as such, just that they have a line they can't cross, if whats going on in the house is socially unacceptable or goes too far they have to react to it, i don't see how they can react without telling the housemates what the problem is, they questioned the housemates about what was said and the housemates worked it out eventually, didn't bb say "bb will not tolerate any racist behavior or any thing that can be interpreted that way" in the diary room , bb questioned jade twice 24 hours apart, saying the above the second time which obviously showed jade what the problem was, and triggered her apology. if there hadn't been such a huge media debate would big brother have talked to jade a second time so directly, maybe not, they probably should have been direct with her the first time they spoke to her

danielle still doesn't know that what she said has had such a huge effect outside, i think she thinks it's all for jade, she would be in tears the whole time if she knew how she is perceived

i'd do think when jade got out of the house it wasn't live and she probably had twenty minutes of talk before they did the interview for her to process things, just judging from her replies. I'm surprised she wasn't told to apologise for the bullying straight out though, it's one thing she didnt seem to recognise as a problem. In that way if it was a cover up, her agent didn't do a good job because they should have told her to apologise for the bullying instead she justified it as a disagreement, plus she really should have cried if she knew what was good for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

After the handling of this situation I don't feel I can't watch big brother again. Regardless of whether the treatment of Shilpa was racially motivated or bullying I think Big Brother should have called a halt to it immediately. Jade should not have been given information about what was happening outside, which she clearly was. I'm appalled about the way the nomination weren't shown after Thursday's show and weren't shown until 'exclusive footage' of Jade apologising was shown. Jade's big enough and bold enough to bully and manipulate people so she should be big enough and bold enough to deal with the consequences of her actions. Also, Big Brother should not have waited until it was a worldwide debate before intervening. The evening of the stock cube incident Jade should have been called into the diary room and told to back off. Imagine if for some reason no one had complained? This would probably still be going on, or at least Jade would still be making snipey remarks behind Shilpa (Like last night when they were in the kitchen and Jade just kept saying 'This is my only claim to fame'). It's absolutely pathetic that hundreds and thousands of people have to complain before someone is reprimanded and even then she was probably told about all these complaints and the World outrage and told to maintain that she wasn't racist and be nice as pie to Shilpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

ergonomics wrote:
    The evening of the stock cube incident Jade should have been called into the diary room and told to back off.

bigbrother have never stopped people shouting or bullying. the way jade was shouting was agressive but normally they only step in when they think things look like they might get physical. The bullying of shilpa wasnt because she is indian she could have been english and the same type of person and jade still would have clashed with her, during the fight jade never said anything that bb interpreted as racist(alot of ppl might have), danielles comment was and they called her into the diary room that night. Jade was called into the diary room after her comment, but not for her bullying or outburst towards shilpa

the nominations were shown on thursday but the voting lines were not open till later that night. The voting lines usually open on wednesday, way before the nominations are shown on the thursday show. i assume they held off on the voting because there was too much outrage at the show and they didnt want to do anything to make things worse or be seen to undermine the seriousness of the situation

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I actually did tune in last night, though I dont normally watch. with all the media hype, i couldnt not watch it.
    To me, the way Endemol slanted the whole hour long show in favour of Jade, showing Jade hugging Shilpa, the whole argument resolved etc. It just seemed so fake, and staged, and as if they just wanted Jade to be let off and this to be forgotten about. More important to help "Our jade" than give the UK a chance to change public opinion on racial issues.
    It was such a half assed attempt at making everything right it was actually hard to watch. From seeing how they edit the show in such a biased manner I have to assume that this has been done a number of times in the past with different contestants, but last night, the wheels really came off.

Jade is FAR too stupid to put two and two together on her own. She knew there was no crowd there, she knew that the whole world thinks that she is a racist bully.
    Then on to Jade's exit of the house, and it was clear from the start that the studio audience wasn't buying any of it. It was shown up as a pro-Jade PR exercise designed to let her escape the worst of the criticism, and the fact that she got booed by a handpicked studio audience shows that nobody wanted her to get off lightly for what she had done. Certainly showed that everybody watching the show smelt a rat, and that channel 4 had cynically contrived to show everything ivolving shilpa was all ok again.

But then having said that, I have never seen somebody stand so alone trying to defend themselves like that, in what was essentially a trial-like cross examination, admittedly done by that moronic vaccuous empty headed bint Davina. With the eyes of the world on her, and a baying audience, she was forced to sit there and watch her crimes, and then try and explain where she was coming from, and that did make some compelling tv. You could see in her eyes she was scrabbling for any chance to get out of it, more intent on self-preservation than anything else. I didn't feel that her apology was genuine at all, and BB's handling of that hour show sickened me, that they would try and subvert public opinion and biase a show toward Jade, just goes to show, Channel 4 is no longer what it once was. It's simply a student newspaper version of a TV channel, playing cruel tricks and jokes on the audience, trying to be cleverer than everyone else, and thank god, it has imploded on them and really opened my eyes as to what kind of television C4 are happy to produce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

From what i seen of last nights program jade had to be called into the diary room about the "poppadum" incedent then she was back into the diary room & asked how she felt 24 hours later THEN she made her apology..

Thursday night's footage did not show this second diary room footage but they made damn sure the apology was aired on BIG Mouth.
    It certainly looked like they were "spoken to" I'm personally suprised that Jade even knows what a poppadum is so how she figured out that there was a massive media furore over an occurrence of alleged racist abuse & bullying is beyond me, ( without intervention).

Shilpa's diary room retraction was like watching that British agriculture minister force feeding his kids beef at the height of the BSE crisis.

Also noticed that they left out the F**K OFF BACK HOME clip when they showed
    the arguements to Jade , Why? I thought big brother was raising important issues & "reflecting the reality in the house."

Then again they'll tell you its "Just Panto" isn't it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Is'nt it ironic that Big Brother made Jade Goody and Big Brother destroyed Jade Goody.

Ha!Destroyed Jade Goody?!Not likely!
    She's worldwide famous now.Just back from London and absolutley everyone is talking about her. In her 'career' all publicity is good publicity.She's going to be more famous now then she ever was .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

panda100 wrote:
    Ha!Destroyed Jade Goody?!Not likely!
    She's worldwide famous now.Just back from London and absolutley everyone is talking about her. In her 'career' all publicity is good publicity.She's going to be more famous now then she ever was .

Agree! Bet we see more of Jade than ever. :rolleyes:

Also have to laff at the insurance company dropping Danielle. What a fantastic oportunity to get your name on prime time TV without having to pay a penny in advertising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Hi ,don't post here at all but I'd just like to say something ,

For me the problem is I can't watch channel 4 as I used to anymore ,
    I viewed channel 4 as a media for free speech and giving strenght to areas where other television stations wouldn't dare to touch.

I think they've got so greedy ,that they've lost sight of themselves ,it's a pitty.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I think the show was so stage managed that it was laughable. From the "I'll be coming to get you shortly" from Davina, not the usual "We'll be back in an hour" spiel.

Also at the end of the montage of clips of "Jade's story" in the CBB house, did anyone notice a rather obvious cut / edit when they had a close-up on Jade? One second she looks like she's leaning on her hand 'upset and distraught' at what she has just seen of herself (Note: sarcasm), and the next second shes on the opposite side of the chair.

Not only did the picture jump, but so did the sound.

There were so many other things that showed it up for what it was - fake.

What do they think we are, cretins?

Even with that Jade only kept apologising for the "poppadom" comment. Not the bullying, intimidation and ignorance of it all. Even though Davina 'tried' to bring that up they just ran out of time.

Haven't read the interview in the News of the World (It's a crap paper, and I wouldn't want to give her any more publicity) and won't be reading any magazines with her "Exclusive" interviews.

However, this whole thing does highlight the generation of the "Disposable Celebrity".

1) A 'Nobody' enters Reality TV Show
    2) Everybody doesn't like 'Nobody'
    3) Press mock and hound 'Nobody', Public thinks press are too hard on 'Nobody' and start to like them.
    4) 'Nobody' is never out of the press.
    5) Press think 'Nobody' has gotten too big for their boots or 'Nobody' themselves get too big for their boots.
    6) Rude awakening. Press kill off Nobody
    7) Press have already built up a Replacement Somebody at step 4...
    8) Public say 'Nobody who?', We like Somebody ... and the cycle starts again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Also at the end of the montage of clips of "Jade's story" in the CBB house, did anyone notice a rather obvious cut / edit when they had a close-up on Jade? One second she looks like she's leaning on her hand 'upset and distraught' at what she has just seen of herself (Note: sarcasm), and the next second shes on the opposite side of the chair.

Not only did the picture jump, but so did the sound.

What I think happened was someone in the audience shouted something obscene.

I agree with everything you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Obviously Carphone Warehouse were footing the hair & make-up budget.
    Woof!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Davina and Jade have the same manager and Jade was one of the very few 'celebritys' that went on Davinas awful chat show. So of course Jade was informed in the bb house of what was happening in the outside world.
    Get rid of Davina and let Dermot present the show!He's way better!

Advertisement