Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning and enviornmental policy

Options
  • 20-01-2007 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

Thinking of taking it and just wondering if anyone is doing it and what their general thoughts are on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ryansx

Is it the masters or undergraduate course your are thinking of doing furbo? I'm three months into the masters so would be happy to answer any questions ya have on that or in general. Wouldn't know too much about the specifics undergraduate course tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

undergrad course unfortunatly, any information at all would be appriciated. Not looking for specifics

If you follow the link http://www.ucd.ie/gpep/gpepinfo/degrees/all the info on the undergrad courses is there. If you are really interested ina career in planning go for the denominated course as you'll get a year exempted from the masters, which you have to have to get work. Watch out though, as it is difficult to get a place on it and doing the undergrad does not guarantee entry. You can do it like as a major or minor through arts but you wont get that exemption.
    In general, I've found it pretty interesting so far. You get do a bit of everything from economics, law to architecture. Jobs are difficult to come by for graduates though but it gets easier when you have a few years experience and the money is good.:D England and Australia are crying out for them so a year or two there solves the experience problem if your willing to travel.
    Best advice is read the property sections in the papers and have a look on your councils planning departments website and you'll get a good idea what planning is all about. Hope thats of some help and any questions gimme a shout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hey ryansx, I was thinking about doing the Masters in planning next year. How hard is it to get in to? What grades do you think I'd need? If I only got a 2.2 overall but got a 2.1 in Geography would you think I'd stand any chance of getting into the course?

When I contacted them over the summer to find out when the offers were going to be made I was told there was five applicants to every place, so i would say it is quite competitive! I there is alot there with 1Hs but got a 2.1 myself and would say that is the minimum, even though it says 2.2 on the website. If there is anything relevent on your application, such as work experience in a council, it will better your chances. Having said all that, cork only started the course this year and alot didn't know about it so there might be less applications for ucd next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement