Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level english

Options
  • 20-01-2007 1:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hey i am doing higher level english and the course i plan on doing after leaving cert requires 2 higher level subjects and i am only doing two at the min and english is one of them.I have been trying but i just cant even pass it at christmas and i need some serious help i have to do well in this because i aint gona drop down.I got 36% at christmas.can anyone here help me out it would be greatly appriciated.Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

we would likely need to know more!

do you know your weak areas?
    do you know the strong ones?
    do you have good notes?
    are you putting the effort in?
    what are your texts?
    what poets?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

What other subjects are ya doing? And why are ya doing the pass papers? Everyone is capable of doing honours on most subjects if your willing to put in a decent fight and you will get a C. If your doing geography for example go back to honours - and start studying.

Seriously never give up the fight on the pass unless you just dont got it like in Higher Maths or Higher English or Higher Irish..

Seriously apart from those 3 subject which ya might just not be naturally talented in everyone is capable of doing honours..

Go into school on Monday and ask ton change to honours on 1 of your options, then you will have the option to go to pass English if you really need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Dont base youre standard on an xmas test. I get the idea my teacher marks it hard to get me to work a little harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭poobum

christmass means poo anyway! i got a d3 in maths in christmass, by the mocks(march/april time) i got a b2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

What other subjects are ya doing? And why are ya doing the pass papers? Everyone is capable of doing honours on most subjects if your willing to put in a decent fight and you will get a C. If your doing geography for example go back to honours - and start studying.

Seriously never give up the fight on the pass unless you just dont got it like in Higher Maths or Higher English or Higher Irish..

Seriously apart from those 3 subject which ya might just not be naturally talented in everyone is capable of doing honours..

Go into school on Monday and ask ton change to honours on 1 of your options, then you will have the option to go to pass English if you really need to.
    Add higher physics to that list...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

anything can happen with determination dont get disheartened. i suggest grinds cause they can help. But just keep tryin pratice makes perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

[edit] In case you didn't get the message first time,Stop posting grinds. You can use the thread at the top of the forum if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭kieranmcg1

well at the min i need to get a bit better at essays i dont know what im doin wrong . the poets are p kavanagh , w b yeats , sylvia plath , e bishop , j montague , the other im not to sure of . the texts im doin are macbeth , lies of silence , how many miles to babylon , my left foot , there is no other subject i can move up in physics we have the suck ass teacher she just gets destracted to easily , but english and metal are the only ones i have ppl in my clas always say to me like kieran ur the only person fit for higher english because of my answers in class but then in the paper im the only one who fails

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 ryanj

it is very easy to prepare for the exam and you could go in knowing what you're going to write for everything bar the play which you need to know well. I wouldn't be worried; Higher Level English is a long course but preparation for the exam is simple and contrastingly not very time-consuming if you're organised and willing. You can have answers prepared for poetry, comparative and question 2 of paper 1 before you go into the exam and apply them to however the questions are phrased. The unseen poetry and comprehension are all about technique and knowing what key things to look for. The play just needs to be known well. For example with poetry; take a few key characteristics of the poetry and write on them. Start with a list of the poems and characteristics, then a paragraph on each characteristic and an outro summarising and concluding. It's that simple.

P.S apparently I was advertising here even though I was only trying to be of help - someone recommended you should do grinds; I am listed in the grinds section if you're interested and I can cover the course in 16 weeks or so.

John Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭kieranmcg1

hey thanks ppl for all the info . i duno about grinds god knows i prob wont get any unless in math i think im alright in english i just need to put in the work myself but if i need them ill get back to ya . thanks ppl

• Advertisement
Advertisement