Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing oil Boiler

Options
  • 20-01-2007 5:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭

I am going to change my current setup. At the moment, it is an outside boiler, about 15 feet of underground pipe till it reaches the house, all underground but not the most efficient i think. boiler is about 30 tears old, burner is pretty new at about 5 years old. House is a 4 bed bunglow with about 12 rads. What i want is an efficient, outside oil boiler, going to put it against the outside wall of the house i think, that will heat all rads and hot water on demand, i want to get rid of my hot water cylinder in the bathroom as i want to put in a power shower in that space ( they need hot mains afaik?) and dont see the point in relocating the cylinder to the attic if the burner can provide hot water on demand, i had a quick look on the web at prices and they came in about 2-2.5k, would this be right ? and what are your thoughts on removing the hot water cylinder in place of a hot on demand system ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

oleras wrote:
    I am going to change my current setup. At the moment, it is an outside boiler, about 15 feet of underground pipe till it reaches the house, all underground but not the most efficient i think. boiler is about 30 tears old, burner is pretty new at about 5 years old. House is a 4 bed bunglow with about 12 rads. What i want is an efficient, outside oil boiler, going to put it against the outside wall of the house i think, that will heat all rads and hot water on demand, i want to get rid of my hot water cylinder in the bathroom as i want to put in a power shower in that space ( they need hot mains afaik?) and dont see the point in relocating the cylinder to the attic if the burner can provide hot water on demand, i had a quick look on the web at prices and they came in about 2-2.5k, would this be right ? and what are your thoughts on removing the hot water cylinder in place of a hot on demand system ?
    You will make huge savings over your old system, by putting an oil boiler in a "cabin pac" against the wall of the house. You will probably be using diesel (gas oil) with the 30 year old boiler. You will have to change to kerosene. This will mean that you will not need a flue going up the side of the house. Grant, Firebird and Warmflow are the most common boilers available - all Irish. I find the Riello burner best.
    Jim.

Advertisement