Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Chocolate

• 20-01-2007 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

There are lots of small Irish chocolate companies opening and I was wondering if they're any good or not. I'm from Cork and I've tried out Eve's Chocolate. Small local producer and the chocolate is really lovely. Nice treat when you need a pick-me-up. But I was wondering what the other 'makes' are like. I've heard good things about Skelligs Chocolate but I've never tried it. Is it worth ordering online or is it sold anywhere in Cork. For that matter, can I buy Eves chocolate anywhere but from her workshop in Dennehys Cross.

Cheers.

DD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

They must be small as i have never heard of them. Are you only talking about small companies?
    If not then the obvious ones are Lir chocolates, O'Briens, Butlers and there is a Gallaghers but i have never had those ones.
    Irish chocolate compares to Belgian or Swiss... its lovely stuff!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's a small little chocolate shop in the Winthrop Arcade on Winthrop Street called Le Galet d'Or. It's a chocolate shop, but I'm not sure if the chocolate would be considered Irish. I assume they make it locally, so it might be. I tried a small bit, and it was really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Saruman wrote:
    Irish chocolate compares to Belgian or Swiss... its lovely stuff!!

I mentioned this is another thread a while back but a lot of the Irish chocolate companies (and I used to work for one of them) import the choclate from Belgium - it's just melted and moulded in Ireland. Explains why it compares so well! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Daisyduck

I know the little place in the Winthrop Arcade. I pass it a lot. Must call in. Looks nice.

There's another place in the English Market and they have a great selection of chocs. I think they do icecream too, not sure. Must take a closer look. Not sure why I'm so concerned about chocolate, you'd think I'd have had enough of the good life at Christmas. Maybe, my body is rebelling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 pmonneo

Daisyduck wrote:
    Hi,

There are lots of small Irish chocolate companies opening and I was wondering if they're any good or not. I'm from Cork and I've tried out Eve's Chocolate. Small local producer and the chocolate is really lovely. Nice treat when you need a pick-me-up. But I was wondering what the other 'makes' are like. I've heard good things about Skelligs Chocolate but I've never tried it. Is it worth ordering online or is it sold anywhere in Cork. For that matter, can I buy Eves chocolate anywhere but from her workshop in Dennehys Cross.

Cheers.

DD

I was just writing in another thread that this company which i think is only open a while does come nice chocolate and presents it in a really uniqiue way... they sell lindt too check it out.... <snip>
    regards....
    a fello chocoloon...!;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

la galet d'or is a french confectioners, they do crepes and such too, dont think they claim to do irish chocolate.

best local choc shop is o'connaill's on french church st. they've been making their own stuff down in carraigaline for donkey's years. they do savage hot chocolates in their store, made with melted chocolate and melted praline and other delights such as whole vanilla pods. you can also buy blocks of couverture chocolate for cooking with (and eating while you cook)

there seems to be a slight diffeence between european choc and irish choc, prolly the local sugars and dairy produce used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RonanB

I am a great lover of Irish Chocolate but I have recently fallen in love with Lindt Chocolate. This is so much tastier than others that I have tasted in the past and also a little cheaper!!

Who ever mentioned that <snip> idea - you just made my day - my wife loves flowers and chocolate so i think i'll have to give that one a try too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Daisyduck

You can get it in the little chocolate shop in the English Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 beenz

I discovered a fantastic little shop in cork, its down by the lane way bu=y the moderne.
    Really good, hot chocolate, mocha, chocolates etc and even better its all produced in cork.
    Its called O Connails. worth a try, its the best mocha ive ever tasted anyway

Advertisement