Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What ever happened to Hats?

• 20-01-2007 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Remember old footage u see them everywhere, now and again, but not any more , are they coming back, and will the same happen to pants ? :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I like to wear a nice frock once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

I've often thought about that back in the 30s every man had a hat and wore it everywhere but now there's nothing. Were they thrown away in an act of men's liberation as the world became less conservative in the 60s? Often thought about trying a come back, always wanted a Fedora, but pretty certain I'd look like an idiot if I tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

http://www.millerhats.com/

lets all get kitted out....everyone dresses like a god damn slop nowadays, hats are sharp and classy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

What ever happened to Hats?

/me looks out window

They all blew away :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bah beat me too it!, Whatever happened to 'modesty vests' for that matter

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

mike65 wrote:
    Bah beat me too it!, Whatever happened to 'modesty vests' for that matter

Mike.

What's a modesty vest?? Could you wear a modesty vest if your pants disappear?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

Someone was listening to Today with Pat Kenny yesterday ;)

A modesty vest, greine, as described by Maeve Binchy, was an additional under garment with a tight V, worn by women to conceal any cleavage that might be exposed by looser clothing - summer dresses and the like.

This again, was up until the '60s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I always like to wear something on my head, be that a beany, a baseball cap, or a bandana. I would, at some stage, like to increase my collection of headwear.

Perhaps a fetching bowler hat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I wear hats as do many people I know and although it seems completely normal to us, others seem to find it strange and make comments.

A useful tip, though: my fiancé found that chuggers left him alone when he went out wearing a hat because they thought he was foreign and wouldn't have an Irish bank account. Sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I love hats... but I've never been able to make one work for me... I think it's because of my glasses... I always end up looking like that evil Nazi out of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I always end up looking like that evil Nazi out of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Learn to work that look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Caps or "baseball hats" do not exist in ireland, only these shocking horribly made bad fitting things they sell in the sports shop. Those are not caps, they are an abomination :O.
    If you want a decent fitting cap check out G1 skate shop or that surf shop off grafton street.
    Sorry, im into my caps ><.

PS: Oh ye, and why on earth do irish guys bend the peaks of there caps to a point of no bloody return? Its like they they're trying to snap the peak in the middle or something :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Anyone know of any good European based hat selling websites?

I think I'd like to give one of those Bavarian style hats a go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

that always amazed me when looking at old photos like politicans at a rally speaking to thousands and not one man capless, even the films based on the 1920-1940's regardless of the country wore caps.

i am a young fella myself (22) and lik many the old suit and long jacket has to be worn at work, sometimes maybe a waistcoast, nice and smart. i envy th older men i see cause its seems ok for them to wear their hats, and they look really smart.(something you would see out of a mafia film of the 1920's style). quiete fancy one of those tweed flatcaps (kangool caps actually turned the right way round) or or a felt hat.

but alas no i would look like a wally to the person who spends €50 quid for the privelge to be a sponsor board (van dutch) and a cap in hideous colours. (what a white trash redneck, do we really have to copy the yanks)

oh well something to look forward to when i get older,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 supergrip

Pah. Hats as fashion items are absolutely rediculous. There is only 1 reason to wear a hat - if it's cold you wear a warm hat, and thats it. There is NEVER an excuse to wear a hat inside - ever. Girls who wear those horrible berets and peaked farmers caps are obviously in serious need of those Tranny and Suzanna on tv. Seriously. Baseball caps look stupid if you're not actually running around a diamond at the time. if you want to keep the sun out of your eyes, - well god invented Sunglasses for that.
    End of rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

my old history teacher always told us that the fall of mens' hats was down to JFK. apparently he was the first statesman not to wear a hat and his rise in popularity caused the demise of mens' hats. there you go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Like a cap or two (or 35 :o )myself. Can't stand them with the peak going straight across at the front though, got to be curved. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm partial to wearing a couple of hats myself, got a beanie for when it's cold and a baseball cap that i got in america.

would like to get a new cap though been looking at the ones on G1's website and man i just wish they had that selection instore as their store is fairly shoddy.

i think endurence_man didn't mean the peak to be dead straight, it has to have some sort of curve just not like this ^ - that symbol came in use for something other than maths yey! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

I've got a fedora. It's my drinking hat. Sometimes, myself and my mates sit around wearing hats and drinking alot. They range from ex-Russian police and airforce to Aussie type (no corks) and fedoras. We only do it once or twice a year, as mark respect to hats and the regret we feel as to their decline.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

My sister got me a hat for Christmas. When my mother saw it she told us how she hated wearing hats as in her day all women had to wear hats to church. She hasn't worn a hat since it changed.

I could be wrong but I believe men had to take their hats off when entering a church, go figure.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

my old history teacher always told us that the fall of mens' hats was down to JFK. apparently he was the first statesman not to wear a hat and his rise in popularity caused the demise of mens' hats. there you go!

that;s it, saw an article on it recently - JFK killed the hat and brought in new style of suits as well, can't remember what type though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

il gatto wrote:
    I've got a fedora. It's my drinking hat. Sometimes, myself and my mates sit around wearing hats and drinking alot. They range from ex-Russian police and airforce to Aussie type (no corks) and fedoras. We only do it once or twice a year, as mark respect to hats and the regret we feel as to their decline.:(

ah ye same here, rag week the bucket hat comes out, ya gotta dress up for the occasion

Advertisement