Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ski clothing ?

Options
  • 20-01-2007 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

Best place to buy in Dublin/Kildare?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

As I am sure you know there are loads of places. I remember from a couple of years ago that TK Maxx in Stephens Green was doing great deals on ski gear, but not sure about the quality tbh as I didn't need any stuff. The camping shops around Capel street such as Millets might be worth a look too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

TKMaxx stores appeared to have a pretty good selection of cheap, as in not this years designs and not necessarily cheap as in crap. But they never seemed to get restocked with any of the stuff since the initial load from before christmas so you may struggle to find what you want from them now.
    Millets have a good selection at reasonable prices but if money is no object then go to The Great Outdoors off Grafton Street. There was also a smaller shop that I spotted the other week off the opposite side of Grafton Street, but cannot remember the name of, that may be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

A mate got his gear in TK Maxx. After all his apologising about it being cheap and tatty (he was holidaying on a tight budget), it turned out to be very decent gear, especially the salopettes. It had the usual hallmarks of cheap ski jackets - i.e. very thick and overwarm, not desirable in the current ski conditions, but still a decent jacket, and good for the money.

I found millets to be very good. Limited range, but the gear isn't from the cheap ranges that is currently padding out Elverys and Lifestyle etc. My GF got a great jacket there that is light and thin with a removable lining. Salopettes were great too. Also their gloves are well worth checking out if you are on a budget.

Money no object, theres always the great outdoors, where they won't object to separating you from lots of money. If you want top of the line gear its probably where you have to go, but you will pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭smurph

Hi Big D,
    Check out Arnotts, they usually have a great selection of gear to choose from.

Were heading out 17th - 24th March to
    Avoriaz in France and you can check out the Site on http://www.avoriaz.com

There is no cars allowed in it so you can ski direct to your hotel each night which will be cool. Anyway if you want any gloves hats etc., we have a moxy load if the dates don't clash.

Talk to you

Smurph

Good snow conditions in avoriaz, hope it lasts until your holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

i got quality gear in the Pamela Scott Ski Shop behind the powerscourt shopping centre if you walk through from grafton st. same gear just cheaper as the great outdoors. If you plan on going more than once i'd say buy your own, should hve change from 300 in the PS shop. main advice, dont skimp on gloves, nothing worse than being toasty warm with cold hands! and if your boarding possibly get gloves with wrist guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I'm going snowboarding for the first time this year, have previously gone skiing a few years ago. Should my Ski gear be alright for boarding? Dont want to have to buy a new jacket and pants if i can help it but have a few bits to buy alright. Going to buy wrist guards but do i need anything for my back\ass seeing as begineer boarders seems to spend most of their time on them?
    It had the usual hallmarks of cheap ski jackets - i.e. very thick and overwarm, not desirable in the current ski conditions
    sounds like my one but after seeing the prices of new decent ones it'll hopefully do!

Scruff wrote:
    I'm going snowboarding for the first time this year, have previously gone skiing a few years ago. Should my Ski gear be alright for boarding? Dont want to have to buy a new jacket and pants if i can help it but have a few bits to buy alright. Going to buy wrist guards but do i need anything for my back\ass seeing as begineer boarders seems to spend most of their time on them?

Ski gear should be fine. THough you want good coverage around the waist, like brace supported salopettes, and a snow guard around the waist to keep snow out. As a beginning boarder you are going to be getting very intimate with the slopes, and it helps if its not running up your jacket.

Or at least judge for yourself whether you need new kit or not. No point spending lots of dosh on gear you dont know you need. Wrist guards are important, but its more important to learn to tuck your hands in when you fall - basically train yourself to not put out your hands.
    Scruff wrote:
    sounds like my one but after seeing the prices of new decent ones it'll hopefully do!

Save money for the trip alright. If you need new *good* gear you are probably better off buying it out there.

Advertisement