Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate My District

Options
  • 20-01-2007 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Okay folks, following on from suggestions, a new, experimental sticky thread. But for libel-related reasons, this one has to have very strict rules.

1) You post here what happened to you. No-one else. Doesn't matter if it's your brother, your spouse, or your great-aunt Mildred (though she is a dote really).

2) No generalisations. Posting "he's a big fat liar" is going to get the post deleted. Posting "he's big and fat and he said he'd do X but he never did" is going to stay up.

3) List what district you're talking about and when the story happened (Supers transfer from District to District occasionally so the date is very important).

So Ladies and Gentlemen, your licencing tales of elation and woe, if you would be so generous!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I would come under Clifden as a main station, at least that's where my Supernintendo is based.

2006 around January time (don't have details to hand) I applied for a Baikal MP-153 semi-automatic shotgun, capable of taking 5 shots. Got "reccomended" by my local Garda and had my licence back in 14 calendar days :D

2006 hmmm around October time I think I applied for my Tikka .223. I don't remember if I got the same "reccomendation" this time or not as local Garda was a bit non commital (maybe as I was only into shooting that year, going from shotgun to centirefire rifle would be understandable). In the end of it I recieved my licence back in under 1 calendar month, I think it was 27 days to be exact :D

Am I happy with things around here? I'm :D:D:D:D:D to date, no complaints at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Kilkenny Station

To date have had one certificate since september and two rifles on it.

First rifle CZ 452 .22wmr
    Firearms officer is friendly easy to deal with i've never had a problem with her. Have had no dealings with the super as such was supposed to have an interview (first cert being a rifle and i'm 18) but as i was out of the country at the time for about a month this wasnt possible when i came back about two days after i got a phone call saying that the cert was issued and to come down to pic it up. Boy was i pleased.

Second Rifle CZ 452 .17hmr
    Recently got the cert ammended as i traded the old rifle in for a new one. Bought the rifle friday night rang station found out she was on duty next moring went down handed her the licence no fuss she just changed it and off i went had the rifle in my hands that afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

as in 1 cert with 2 sets of details on it
    or a change of details

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Mayorstone, Limerick.

Simple really, an uncontactable FO. 3/4 weeks & counting :rolleyes: .

Relatively minor issue, so far, but I've called into the station 5 or 6 times now, phoned twice as often & had my name/contact details written into the log book, I suppose a dozen times.

Not as much as a single phone call.

It is relating to a licence so I didn't want to "push" it but that's just taking the piss IMO.

Charter my arse :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

I deal with Terenure Garda Station in Dublin 6.

I have obtained 2 shotguns & a .22 rifle with no problems to date - always very helpful, courteous and professional with the matter.

I have always had the neccessary paper work when applying - club membership card, N.A.R.G.C. membership card, gun safe receipt, (never asked for but noted on application) and firearms dealer's headed notepaper with gun details.

When the required paper work was in order everything went very smoothly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mufflets

Coolock Garda Station in Dublin. Had the same experience as you when trying to
    Contact the F.O. first kramer, numerous messages left and fruitless visits (edit: No speculation please -sparks) . When i finally met him he was friendly and helpful and had my cert for a .22lr a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Mufflets wrote:
    When i finally met him he was friendly and helpful

He's a nice enough guy & I know him reasonably well TBH (licence renewals etc.) but that's not much good if he can't be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Clondalkin Station, No Hassle really. Can be difficult to get hold of FO, as he has a stack of job responsibiities including firearms. Applications went smoothly, no Bullsh1t, no making up the rules as it suits them.

Pretty good customer service attitude. Anyone I spoke to were very polite and helpful. First licence granted in five weeks and the second one in 10 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Greystones Station, Bray District.

Never have had any negative experiences there. First licences, in 2002, for an air and a .22 rifle, were delayed for over a month. Reason cited was that the paperwork was lost. The local FO came to the house with the forms to resubmit them and they were delivered within a fortnight. When we were burgled last year, the FO was one of the first Garda on the scene, but I'm not sure if that was because he knew I had firearms or not.

The air pistol licence last year was done in four days, over New Year's Eve. I had primed the application by giving in a single printed sheet with details of what I was going to apply for beforehand however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Hey Mods,
    My post of my experiance has disappered!!!Come on ! I posted this within the guidelines,and it is back up able with documentary evidence.Whats going on here??
    I should add on this point;that all posts sofar look positive and mine somwhat negative,and it is removed,well then we might as well stop this charade right now.As then we are only trying to show the Gardai in a good light and ignoring the fact that there are problems and we are just paying lip service to problems faced by shooters??
    An explanation I think is due please?
    Clare Gunner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Hey Mods,
    My post of my experiance has disappered!!!Come on ! I posted this within the guidelines,and it is back up able with documentary evidence.Whats going on here??

Iv read your deleated post and its staying in the bin (i didnt delate it BTW). Posted within the gudelines my arse. Id love to see your "documentary evidence" of you app "going in the shredder" and I wont even repeate the rest of it.

Ill bin all your posts like this in this thread or any other so dont even bother :mad:

My district would be Nass but i go through a sub-station.
    FAO/SGT is fantastic, very nice guy knows exactly what he's on about. I have 5 licences for full bore rifles and pistols and small bore rilles and pistols and a shotgun. First licence took about 3 weeks, and everythign after that about 10 days.

I went out of my way to provide him with any info he requested and he obviously went out of his way to ensure my applications were propely attended to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Rew wrote:
    Iv read your deleated post and its staying in the bin (i didnt delate it BTW). Posted within the gudelines my arse. Id love to see your "documentary evidence" of you app "going in the shredder" and I wont even repeate the rest of it.

Ill bin all your posts like this in this thread or any other so dont even bother :mad:

surely the mod could have edited the bits they didn't like and left the majority of the post. Bit of overkill in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

CG,
    I deleted your post because you didn't post within the guidelines, the same reason why I edited out a part of Mufflets post (in his case, it was three or four words, so I just edited - in your case is was over half the post so I deleted). And no, it's not to make the Gardai look good, it so they don't have grounds to issue a libel suit and shut down the site. I'm not disputing your story, nor saying that you can't post it, I'm just saying that you can't post speculation on this thread because it could be used to sue the site and shut the lot down. Just post the facts. They speak for themselves, they don't need embellishment or fancy presentation.

Vegeta wrote:
    surely the mod could have edited the bits they didn't like and left the majority of the post. Bit of overkill in fairness

There wouldnt have been anything left of his post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mufflets

Kramer wrote:
    He's a nice enough guy & I know him reasonably well TBH (licence renewals etc.) but that's not much good if he can't be contacted.

I agree with you. Just relaying my own experience .

I could be wrong but your post struck me as being very factual ClareG. Hope you see fit to re-edit and re-post.

Sparks wrote:
    CG,
    I deleted your post because you didn't post within the guidelines, the same reason why I edited out a part of Mufflets post (in his case, it was three or four words, so I just edited - in your case is was over half the post so I deleted). And no, it's not to make the Gardai look good, it so they don't have grounds to issue a libel suit and shut down the site. I'm not disputing your story, nor saying that you can't post it, I'm just saying that you can't post speculation on this thread because it could be used to sue the site and shut the lot down. Just post the facts. They speak for themselves, they don't need embellishment or fancy presentation.

There are some serious accusatiobns you are laying there Sirs.:mad:
    First off ,RE the Shredder this came from my own FAO in my local station.Not speculation or embellishment on my own part.
    Second,I do have the evidence of this entire case.Do you want a copy of the log and corrospondence???
    3]Why did you leave the post up for over three days,then delete it,without BTW even bothering to contact me on a PM to ask or verify the facts before you got frisky with the delete button???
    4] Plese point out EXACTLY where it falls outside the guidelines???
    1]It happened to me [2] I have documentary proof of all that I stated as fact.
    [3] there is no speculation just fact.[4]
    So Sparks and REW I consider this accusation of embellishment and fancy presentation" as a very serious slander upon my chacter.
    I would like a public apology on this board from the both of you.If you wish to see the documentary evidence i'll gladly email or meet you two in person and present this.Otherwise I will refer this matter to my solicitor for consideration of libel and slander on a publivc Irish forum.
    I would suggest you both PM me on this matter.
    CG

Mufflets wrote:
    I agree with you. Just relaying my own experience .

I could be wrong but your post struck me as being very factual ClareG. Hope you see fit to re-edit and re-post.

Nah!! dont think I'll bother if I am going to be accused of embellishing and fancy presentation,by two people who couldnt be botherd contacting me or asking for some proof,yet leave the post up for three days and then delete it,while one of them is juvenilely abusive in his reply..I couldn't be arsed.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

One poster banned, thread closed.

Don't think this topic worked out too well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement