Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping in the wilds of ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Br7anx wrote: »
    HI
    Does anyone know of any decent camping spots around Wicklow or any spots worth visiting in Ireland? I'm looking for the forest/views/campfires/ water type of thing or any combination of.

Not a camp site per se, but more of a wild camping experience.

Thanks

our favourite camping spot in the fifties was........knockree, down by the river...

go through the field facing the yha hostel....and down to the river....swimming and forests there....great memories....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

our favourite camping spot in the fifties was........knockree, down by the river...

go through the field facing the yha hostel....and down to the river....swimming and forests there....great memories....

That spot down by the river along the Wicklow Way is private land, and whoever owns it now has hired security guards (seriously!) to move people on. It's a shame, as it was a lovely spot, but on the plus side, there's a lot less rubbish there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Donny5 wrote: »
    That spot down by the river along the Wicklow Way is private land, and whoever owns it now has hired security guards (seriously!) to move people on. It's a shame, as it was a lovely spot, but on the plus side, there's a lot less rubbish there now.

than you...what a shame.....i drove along the road last year....but am now not physically able to go down and have a look at the camping area....

having spent forty years out of ireland, i just had to see the area again.....

that was how good it was in my memory......a very specialm place indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Br7anx wrote: »
    There's a nice spot you can drive to in Glenmalure. From Roundwood go on to Laragh. Just south of Laragh on the R755 there is a right turn over the mountain (lovely views) to glenmalure. Come to a cross roads after 15 mins or so with Glenmalure Lodge on left (good for food and drinks) turn right into cul de sac. carry on to end of road about 5km to carpark. drive over river (its okay ) up bumpy road for 100metres and theres a nice spot on right under tree, near mountainside next to river, grass to pitch your tent and plenty of wood a little further up so you can build a fire.

Hi, sorry, I know I'm dragging up an old thread but I just wanted to say that thanks to a google search and coming upon this particular thread/reply that me and my friends found the above spot to camp which turned out to be ideal!! A really nice location and very handy for those who would rather the camping experience without the hike :)

cue wrote:
    Luggala valley.Approach from Roundwood on the r759 until you come to the Pier Gates which lead to Luggala Lodge. Walk through the gates along the road and down to the valley floor. Follow the grass track along the hillside to Lough Dan. Cross the Cloghoge river on stepping stones and follow the rough path along the Lough until you reach the Inchavore River. You can cross here on boulders to an island which is just what you are looking for. I've seen lots of tents here in the summer. Good luck

We're planning on going again soon and the above sound like another nice spot to check out. Can anyone tell me anymore about it?? Is there space for carparking close, or nearby?

Lough Dan, as mentioned is the correct lake and not Lake Tay?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ It is private land. The scouts have a campsite there, that is probably what the poster you quoted saw.....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    ^ It is private land. The scouts have a campsite there, that is probably what the poster you quoted saw.....

Feck! :o Thanks for that :)

Do you, or anyone know of any site in or around this area where it would be possible to set up camp for a night?

Do you, or anyone know of any site in or around this area where it would be possible to set up camp for a night?

In general, it's a bad idea to camp around the Sally Gap, becuase there's nowhere to camp near your car (or even close, really), and cars left up there overnight are liable to be borken into or nicked.

In general, it's a bad idea to camp around the Sally Gap, becuase there's nowhere to camp near your car (or even close, really), and cars left up there overnight are liable to be borken into or nicked.

Cheers for that. I'm gonna have to reconsider so, have a look for another camp site in the general Wicklow area :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

If you're going to go camping in the mountains, let mountain rescue know beforehand. Galway mountain rescue were called out lately (20 of them) due to a light spotted on one of the 12 Bens. Turned out to be a German couple camping.

If you're going to go camping in the mountains, let mountain rescue know beforehand. Galway mountain rescue were called out lately (20 of them) due to a light spotted on one of the 12 Bens. Turned out to be a German couple camping.

That's odd. I've go camping in the mountains all the time, have never told any MR team. I meet MR members regularly enough, and none of them has ever mentioned this.

It seems a bit rash to deploy an MR team to some lights in the mountains. Even when I'm not camping, at this time of year I'd be regularly up the mountains well after dark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

That's odd. I've go camping in the mountains all the time, have never told any MR team. I meet MR members regularly enough, and none of them has ever mentioned this.

It seems a bit rash to deploy an MR team to some lights in the mountains. Even when I'm not camping, at this time of year I'd be regularly up the mountains well after dark.

Locals called the Gardai after spotting a light well up on Binn Gabhar just after nightfall. Gardai called in Galway MR, night of 30th October, they went up the Glencoaghan valley inside the horseshoe.

Relative of mine lives there and I went up for a look, was talking to the rescue lads in the Landrover.

If they had known in advance, then their time wouldn't have been wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There is (or used to be) a commercial camping/caravan park in Roundwood.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    There is (or used to be) a commercial camping/caravan park in Roundwood.

Cheers, but we're after the wild camping experience :o, spot in Glenmalure was ideal, finding it really hard to get any recommendation for an equal spot, might be just a case of going scouting for a spot on the day. One thats well removed from other human activity :)

Cheers, but we're after the wild camping experience :o, spot in Glenmalure was ideal, finding it really hard to get any recommendation for an equal spot, might be just a case of going scouting for a spot on the day. One thats well removed from other human activity :)

There really isn't anywhere else left like Glenmalure, and the state of Glenmalure is the reason why. The other very popular place to car camp used to be in Knockree valley, but private security will move you on if you try to camp there.

There really isn't anywhere else left like Glenmalure, and the state of Glenmalure is the reason why. The other very popular place to car camp used to be in Knockree valley, but private security will move you on if you try to camp there.

I was reading a few thread here on Glenmalure lastnight, was quite shocked really, seems like the place has gotten a lot of bad press. That said though, I was there 3 weeks back, so there was no one else around (just a few walkers and one or two coming/going from the hostel. But certainly no rubbish or mess (well, there was a 3 piece frying pan set and a saucepan or two in the undergrowth :confused: but that was about it). I suppose by late October there'd be no one mad enough to be camping out there and any mess that was left had long since been cleaned up or scattered.

The search continues :) Heading off next weekend, so I'm getting kinda' anxious to find a spot, or even a rough idea of an area.

Glenmalure is generally wrecked every summer, and then volunteers and the council clean it up, and then the next year it's wrecked again. There's also been loads of break-ins to cars there over the years, even in Winter time. It's known that walkers will be away from their cars for hours, so it's a tempting target.

If you want to car camp in Wicklow, I really don't have any other recommendations, though. A friend of mine was looking to do the same thing thing recently, and tried a well-known spot on Poulaphouca, but was moved on almost immediately. Lough Dan is all private, except for one corner in the National Park, and it's miles away from a road, which isn't a safe spot to park anyway. Knockree is well patrolled now (which is for the best, I think, given how destroyed it was becoming from lazy campers lighting fires and leaving rubbish).

If you know anyone with land in Wicklow, your best bet might be to ask them if you can camp in one of their fields or something.

Advertisement