Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

o2 network saturday 20th jan

• 20-01-2007 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

is anyone else having a bit of trouble with the o2 network today? I'm in dublin 4 area code and signal is crap, not connecting to network etc. etc. Gf has same problem, tried resetting fone etc. etc. Can't ring 1747 to find out either

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yip, I'm in Enfield and having the same problems.

Having said that, we had some serious thunder and lightning earlier, I was putting it down to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nudged over to Mobiles/PDAs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Trouble two nights ago and again tonight. They said it was the bad weather. Are we living in the stone age?

It's a ****ing joke so it is - wish they'd sort themselves out.

Dublin 15 area FYI.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yep its crap today and last nite. I turned off the switched the network settings from 3g to GSM earlier today and its been better since, but not perfect.

nice to see their network is as good as their website.

• Advertisement

Cust care just told me there's six sites down today because of the weather. One in Dublin 15 being one of them .... GRR! I have my Vodafone RTG phone out!

I wish networks could come to some sort of domestic roaming thing, where you could pop onto another network when there's issues - after all, I think every network needs it from time to time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

faceman wrote:
    Yep its crap today and last nite. I turned off the switched the network settings from 3g to GSM earlier today and its been better since, but not perfect.

nice to see their network is as good as their website.

excellent, changed it from dual mode on my fone to GSM only, and now working well.

thanks a lot

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

No problems down here in Waterford / Tramore.

In fairness, what do you expect? The weather has been pretty bad in Dublin. Hell, we had a power outtage here for half the night on Thursday due to the weather bringing down a power cable and it affected the Tramore area and other places around it.

Even Sky Digital is flickering or cuts out due to the stormy weather.

Navy Divers cant go out to sea to search for bodies in the Dunmore East / Wexford area cause of the storms.

**** happens - bad weather does have a bad affect and I dont think the networks are to blame. It is after all, weather permitting really. All wireless services would be.

I guess I feel that networks should have more redundancy. I accept that problems happen, I'm just fed up with excuses like "the weather". I have no doubt they're doing everything they can to fix it, and I've experienced similiar issues with other networks before. It's just frustrating and I'm ranting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Sully04 wrote:

**** happens - bad weather does have a bad affect and I dont think the networks are to blame. It is after all, weather permitting really. All wireless services would be.

I was just trying to figure out if other people were suffering same prob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

For what it's worth, O2 are pumping hundreds of millions of euros into their network at the moment. Hence coverage, especially 3G coverage, should improve.

For me, O2 coverage is usually good, though lately I've had the odd dropped call: signal going to **** for a few seconds for no reason. This has happened twice in as many weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

I'll tell you this, over the last few days the O2 engineers have performed miracles in an against the odds situation. Whilst it isn't perfect right now the storms have wreaked havoc with the network nationwide.

Most of you that are complaining about lost coverage have 3G phones. You'll find that 3G coverage droppage is not exclusive to O2, the same has been happening in every country that has 3G. Simply switch your phone to GSM and you won't have any further dropped calls and if you want to use Data services, simply switch back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

lfc1892 wrote:
    I'll tell you this, over the last few days the O2 engineers have performed miracles in an against the odds situation. Whilst it isn't perfect right now the storms have wreaked havoc with the network nationwide.

Most of you that are complaining about lost coverage have 3G phones. You'll find that 3G coverage droppage is not exclusive to O2, the same has been happening in every country that has 3G. Simply switch your phone to GSM and you won't have any further dropped calls and if you want to use Data services, simply switch back.

Miracles? Are you having a laugh? Its their job to provide service! o2 doesnt have an A1 record on network coverage no matter what the weather. (Nor does their website for that matter!!)

I dont care whether 3G coverage droppage is an issue for 3 or Vodafone. Im an o2 customer.

Networks should inform their customers when there are network issues. The issue with 3g for example, i only found out by fluke i could switch the phone to GSM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Zipperhead

Please dont take this up the wrong way...

It's not up to o2 to tell you that you can change your phone from 3G to GSM it's a fone feature therefore should be in your manual.

As for the coverage, while I agree they should let you know if there are ongoing issues in an area it really depend on:

If you have no coverage, how can they let you know?
    Some issues dont last that long..

If you were an engineer, would you climb up on a mast in this weather??
    I've had variable coverage over the last few days but I'm sure once weather calms it will be someway back to normal.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

chump wrote:
    I was just trying to figure out if other people were suffering same prob.

Ya im not giving out - I was making my point to ciaranfo for bitching about the network being down when there isnt anything that could have been done to fix it. Global warming gave us the bad weather, so maybe if we changed our dirty habits and started looking after the enviroment we would have less of these problems to worry about :D

faceman wrote:
    Miracles? Are you having a laugh? Its their job to provide service! o2 doesnt have an A1 record on network coverage no matter what the weather. (Nor does their website for that matter!!)

We are currently discussion O2s network issues during the bad weather which affected Europe. I think general bitching, can be done in a seperate thread. We are discussion the affects of the weather on the network and not its performance in general. (PS. There site is still dodgy, even after the re-design. Lame eh!)
    I dont care whether 3G coverage droppage is an issue for 3 or Vodafone. Im an o2 customer.

Networks should inform their customers when there are network issues. The issue with 3g for example, i only found out by fluke i could switch the phone to GSM.

I guess they should update their website to say "Issues in area X solved in Y time", or have it in auto-message if u call tech support. But you cant expect them to email everyone, or text / call em.

I aint seen an update due to technical issues being done in any service, nevermind phone networks!

Zipperhead wrote:
    Please dont take this up the wrong way...

It's not up to o2 to tell you that you can change your phone from 3G to GSM it's a fone feature therefore should be in your manual.

As for the coverage, while I agree they should let you know if there are ongoing issues in an area it really depend on:

If you have no coverage, how can they let you know?
    Some issues dont last that long..

If you were an engineer, would you climb up on a mast in this weather??
    I've had variable coverage over the last few days but I'm sure once weather calms it will be someway back to normal.

Excellent response. Agree with you 100%.

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Services/Coverage+in+Ireland/Network+updates/

You can sign up to coverage updates on the above link.

I can tell you that you have no idea how much worse things could have been over the last week had it not been for the engineers standing by at the ready after the weather warnings. I can also say that the situation was much worse than you know but because of their skills the worst effects were not felt. You may have been inconvenienced but with GSM Radio networks this is the nature of the beast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

No probs Saturday, but since 6pm last night has been an utter nightmare. As said, theres a 3G symbol displayed on my phone which Im not sure was there before (when i got the phone I removed the 3G card and pout in my old SIM. Really couldnt give a bollix about paying god knows how much for 20 second football clips I could sooner watch on my widescreen tv)

Weather is hardly an excuse, no bad weather last night really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

shane86 wrote:
    Weather is hardly an excuse, no bad weather last night really.

Umm, yes there was.

• Advertisement

Sully04 wrote:
    I guess they should update their website to say "Issues in area X solved in Y time", or have it in auto-message if u call tech support. But you cant expect them to email everyone, or text / call em.

Exactly their website, or a national newspaper. Dublin bus/irish rail do it when they have disruption of service, and they have less concurrent customers. Why dont mobile operators?

as bad as ntl are, they have updates on the IVR when you ring their customer care number when they have issues.

O2 seem more interested in telling people about the hoax text than updating people on network issues.

Shame, as you say a spot on the website or something would go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 O2Feedback

Hi All

My name is Emer Mc Ginley and I'm the complaints manager with O2 Ireland.

I am disappointed to hear about the problems you have been experiencing with coverage over the last few days.

It has been mentioned in some of the threads already but unfortunately weather conditions have impacted some sites which has a knock on effect on coverage. The high winds particularly impact site stability and our engineers and technology support teams have been working tirelessly to restore full coverage as soon as possible.

As a heavy mobile phone user myself I can completely understand the inconvenience that a lack of coverage causes but let me assure you we are doing everything possible to minimise any disruption in your service.

I'd love to hear your feedback on any aspect of our service - we need you, our customers, to tell us when you're not having a good experience!
    If you'd like to discuss any experience you've had with O2 with me directly please email me at Emer.McGinley@o2.com
    I'd love to hear from you...

Best Rgds
    Emer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Oh, let the floodgates open.

Fair play to you Emer for coming onto Boards.ie, have you seend the threads on the O2 website? That has to be the biggest gripe everyone has with O2 (me included, I'm an O2 customer).

Hi

I do realise that the online experience has been a far from perfect one.

Just to give you a bit of background... This project was probably one of the most complex system implementations that O2 Ireland has undertaken because of the wide range of services that we provide online and the number of physical systems and interfaces involved; there are about 50 new physical systems and 70 logical business interfaces.

I’m sure the complexity of the upgrade does not concern you as a customer and I understand that you simply want a reliable service, so please take my assurance that we are working really hard to deliver just that.

Unfortunately we did hit problems and for that we're really sorry.

We've reported a noted increase in stability recently and this will continue to get better.

As boards users I can imagine you are all probably really reliant on the website as your main touchpoint with O2 so I hope you stick with us while we improve the online service!

And again if you'd like to give me any feedback directly drop me a mail at Emer.McGinley@o2.com

Best Rdgs
    Emer

Emer:-

Out of curiosity, is it not possible for you to maybe send out an email to a certain newsgroup or update a part of your website if any of the O2 Services are experincing any difficulties such as those experienced during the bad weather? It has been suggested here and its the only thing you have not yet commented on :)

As regards to the website, its very nicely designed and I find it user-friendly but it at times can be very slow to access. The one gripe I have is that I have a tendency to use secure passwords - which include symbols. Your website does not allow symbols in passwords. Any chance of that minor change happening?!

Btw - the "O2 Home" after logging in states;
    Login to My O2 successful

You will notice that the page that you normally see when you login has changed. This is purely a temporary measure whilst we continue to enhance the performance of the site. Below is a list of the main online services, with links to help you get there.

Any ETA when that will be placed back to normal?

Its good to see that O2 has such good Customer Service. Not many would signup on other forums and respond to any complaints or issues. Some, wouldnt even listen to you over the phone or in an email. Good to see O2 cares! Keep up the good work.

Hi Sully04

Apologies for not responding to that question, this is something we're looking at already actually. At this point in time I can't give you a definite timeline when we'll have this type of forum up and running but it's good to know that customers want it!
    ... Thanks for the suggestion!

On your other questions - let me check it out and I'll come back on it

Best Rgds
    Emer

Well done Emer. Good move!

I know that the comments on boards have been noted by O2 but it's not the sole reason to fix all the issues experienced. Their customer care, actually does care!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

I have a 6233 which i changed yesterday from an N70 (avoid like the plague, rubbish phone). My settings won't let me change from 3G to GSM and it's driving me beserk. Also living in Dublin 4 chump and the O2 coverage is practically non-existent since Saturday! Any help appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Called 02 and 3G has basically been down since Thursday last hence problems.

Advertisement