Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plane hit by lightning in Galway?

Options
  • 20-01-2007 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone hear about this?
    Happened today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, but I saw a few flashes as I was out shopping in town. And a hail storm. Grand day altogether :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Wait til you see tomorrow chaps!

Hella big storms... and anyone by the coast, should batten down the hatches!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

planes get hit al the time, no big deal , my main worry about the Aer Arann planes is THIS known icing problem with the ATR72 .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I read in today's paper that an EI flight from NYC was struck by lightning in the air. Didnt say where it happened tho.

Planes are designed to take lightning strikes. There was no damage to the plane and it continued on its merry way to dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Yes. Planes are designed to withstand "Lightning", at the altitudes they cruise at.

Unfortunately, we know sfa about what goes on in our atmosphere at other levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

planes are covered in metal... they get struck and get either grounded or the strike just continues on using the plane as a shortcut... its very rare lightening will cause any malfunction to control or instruments.. but when it does.. it will test the pilots skill...

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

I flew into Shannon today from Milan and the plane was hit by lightning during the descent. Fairly freaky stuff actually! There was a boom, the plane shook a bit and there was a blue light for a split-second.
    And the landing wasn't much fun either. We seemed to be rocking from side and it took ages to brake and come to a halt. Fun times!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Wait til you see tomorrow chaps!

Hella big storms... and anyone by the coast, should batten down the hatches!
    Psssh work is going to suck then:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

nachos wrote:
    We seemed to be rocking from side and it took ages to brake and come to a halt. Fun times!

Heavy crosswind so i reckon the Pilot had alot of Rudder input in your landing, probably tacking into the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Stop being such wussies, well able for it.

I have to go Scuba Diving tomorrow :( Hope mysef and the fishies don't get fried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

JohnCleary wrote:
    Hope myself and the fishies don't get fried

I'm fried right now, but it has nothing to do with the weather.

Advertisement