Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL light keeps going off

Options
  • 20-01-2007 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Using BT broadband for two years. ZyXEL modem.

Over last couple of weeks DSL light is occasionally dropping out leading to 'unable to load page' etc.
    Problem is usually fixed by powering off modem, waiting ten seconds then turning it back on.

However DSL light is now dropping off every few hours i.e. frequency is increasing.

Wonder is it a cable problem or is a new modem required?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

having the same problem myself for a couple of months now (also BT with the Prestige 600 modem).
    The DSL line drops, but reconnects around 30 secs later, but speeds can be terrible, if not near non-existent.
    It's usually bad around peak-times.
    What I found works, is going to the modem settings (using http://192.168.1.1 admin and 1234 should work as user and password) and resetting the ADSL line in the Maintenance / Diagnostic section.
    Sometimes this keeps my connection at perfect speeds for hours. Hope it works for you.
    (I'm not really a techy person, but found this advice on another thread here).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have either of you upped your speeds recently or checked your line stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Thanks Whiskeyman.

Only change I've made in recent weeks is to install Firefox and stop using IE7.
    Come to think of it, it's only since then that the modem has been acting up.

Presumably a coincidence?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I would doubt your browser has any affect on your DSL sync.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Also having intermittent connection problems and poor speed over the last few months. Just wondering...the modem 'dsl' light is continuously flashing and amber.
    I cant remember how it was when I first set it up but should it not be green and constant?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Eurorunner wrote:
    Also having intermittent connection problems and poor speed over the last few months. Just wondering...the modem 'dsl' light is continuously flashing and amber.
    I cant remember how it was when I first set it up but should it not be green and constant?

Same here,its getting beyond a joke now.

Advertisement