Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best ferry prices ?

• 20-01-2007 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

One of disadvantages of living on this beautiful island is that you get robbed blind when you want to get off it ...especially when you want to bring your camper with you.

I had to do a round trip year before last in November and the landbridge tariff via Holyhead-Hull-Rotterdam still was something like 500 euros.

You can get a round trip from France to Corsica for under 100 euro ...in high season!!

Anybody got any hints and tricks for getting that affordable ticket out of here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

i think you know there is no good answer :-(

In peak season I do landbrigde to France for about 500-600 instead of direct costing 1000++++

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Try going from belfast instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have booked with Celtic link ferries to Cherbourg this year from Rosslare, The fare return including food and a 4 berth cabin is 460 euro in late May/June and unlike other ferry operators they don't charge extra for high vehicles the ferry is primarily freight based so don't expect a huge level of sophistication but I am sure it is serviceable judging by the photos on their website.The same fare from Brittany Ferries was 1300 return!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Just some recent ferry experiences I have had....

Recently while searching the internet for prices to go to Glastonbury this summer I noticed that there is a 50% reduction for caravans on certain Stena sailings.

Believing a camper van to

a) be of similar height to a caravan
    b) less long than a car towing a caravan

I got in touch with Stena to ask whether a camper would qualify for the same savings.

The response from Stena was:
    Good afternoon,

For the best price for a Campervan it is advisable to make a reservation a minimum 28 days before travel, thank you for your enquiry.

Regards,

Stena Line
    cw

Wishing for more information, I responded with
    Hello,

I was unable to get any answer to my original answer from your reply. Do the offers specific to caravans relate to camper vans also, given that camper vans are rarely longer than a car with a caravan and are normally of a similar height?

Given your response, can you tell me the details of the savings to be made by booking 28 days in advance?

Thanks,

and they responded with
    G ood afternoon,

The offers you have seen are for caravans only, campervans are classified as a different category as explained in previous e-mail , reservations made a minimum 28 days before travel secure the best price.

Regards,

Stena Line
    cw

The mails that I have received from Stena in no way answer my questions fully or justify the fact that campers are not eligible for the same discount as caravans.

I am told that reservations made 28 days before travel secure the best price but I am led to believe that this is for all fares and not simply for campers.

I would like to take this matter further with Stena with the hope of securing discount for camper vans or at least for members of this board.

Does anyone have any ideas on what we could collectively do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi

Not sure what we can do:confused: .
    If somebody has some ideas and you need a bit of help implimenting them, give me a call.....always up for saving a few euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd say the problem lies within the "collectively".

Simply not enough motorhomes out there yet to make any significant difference ...especially as we don't all want to travel on the same routes and dates anyway.

If a club wanted to take 20 or so vehicles on a trip they'd probably get some sort of special once-off price, but the ferry companies probably won't change their pricing for the one to three motorhomes they carry on every trip.

My experience with ferry companies is that they do pretty much what they like when it comes to prices, as they know very well that the alternatives are limited if you want to take your camper to the continent.

I have to say though, it is a bit cheeky alright, to offer a price reduction to caravanners and not to motorhomes, because as you rightly said ...height is usally the same and length would be shorter. They all end up on the same deck on the ferry anyway.

Advertisement