Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarins electromagnetic protection

Options
  • 20-01-2007 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Have you seen the ads for this stuff?
    If electromagnetic waves can penetrate walls, imagine what they can do to your skin!

To help fight against this new form of pollution, Clarins created Expertise 3P, a groundbreaking, scientifically-advanced skin care discovery that protects skin from the electromagnetic effects of today’s modern day conveniences like cell phones and computers.

There's more on the Clarins website. Personally, I'd imagine if EM waves can penetrate walls that they can just pass right through my skin.

They claim that the link between "artificial" EM waves and accelerated skin aging is the subject of a scientific research paper, but the Guardian couldn't get them to reveal where this paper was published.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

I've just read this article in The Economist: Wellness drinks: A magic potion?. Coca-Cola has launched a new drink that it claims promotes weight loss. Like the Clarins case, this is supported by studies that have not been made public.

What really caught my eye was that The Center for Science in the Public Interest has threatened to sue Coca-Cola unless it withdraws the claim. That's an organisation I haven't come across before. They seem to focus on food and nutrition so a cosmetic is probably outside their remit. Still, great way to keep companies scientifically honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

davros wrote:
    Personally, I'd imagine if EM waves can penetrate walls that they can just pass right through my skin.
    The Sun makes much stronger, more lethal radiation than any modern appliance. If modern appliances damaged your skin so would regular light.
    davros wrote:
    They claim that the link between "artificial" EM waves and accelerated skin aging is the subject of a scientific research paper, but the Guardian couldn't get them to reveal where this paper was published.
    The underlined bit makes no sense, EM waves don't grow on trees in natural, picturesque meadows. There is no such thing as artificial EM.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> There is no such thing as artificial EM.

In the real world, there isn't. But in the "alternative" world, there certainly is. Differences are found between naturally-occurring EMR (sun, candles etc) and unnatural EMR (lightbulbs, microwave ovens). Same goes for natural (bark, splash) and unnatural sounds (loudspeaker, car horn), colors, tastes, sensations, substances and everything else. Natural is good, wholesome and spiritual; artificial is toxic, bad and impersonal.

It's yet another interesting manifestation of the common belief that nothing can exist without a motive or intention for, or more frequently against, the perceiver.

And as for the coke? Well, the can just beside me says "Carbonated soft drink with vegetable extracts". Gotta be good, innit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Son Goku wrote:
    The Sun makes much stronger, more lethal radiation than any modern appliance. If modern appliances damaged your skin so would regular light.
    My first thought when I saw when I saw the ad was "Oh, they are talking about sunlight and this is some kind of sun cream". Because there are mechanisms by which EM radiation can damage the skin. Too much sun can do it, or gamma radiation, for example. But no, they explicitly mention cell phones and computers.
    The underlined bit makes no sense, EM waves don't grow on trees in natural, picturesque meadows. There is no such thing as artificial EM.
    Well indeed, that's why I put it in quotes. Their word, not mine.

I found a little more info on one of their "fact sheets":
    When exposed to 900 megahertz waves-the type most commonly used in communications-skin's free radical production increased, its protective barriers deteriorated and cellular renewal slowed by 26%.
    That's interesting because, as I understand it, scientists have had a lot of trouble showing any effect on cells from mobile phone radiation.

Advertisement