Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 inch tile cutter

Options
  • 20-01-2007 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where i can get one? most places seem to have a 12" one.. but need an 18 inch for larger tile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

I remember using a wet saw to cut mine about 2 years ago, not that expensive, about 60 euro, and you always have it for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

thanks for the reply

anyone got any opinions on any of these? a 450mm cutter should be ok for an 18 inch tile shouldnt it?

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-SEMI-PRO-600MM-TILE-CUTTER-510189_W0QQitemZ330074702717QQihZ014QQcategoryZ11701QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

heres another i saw on Ebay, this one seems to be a power tool rather than a manual one :

http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-450W-TILE-CUTTER-HIGH-240V-3YRS-GAURANTEE-300337_W0QQitemZ330074703871QQihZ014QQcategoryZ20790QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

For 18" tiles you're far better off with a wet cutter. You will have problems with your cut running off on tiles that length, depending on the type of tile. If per chance, it's porcelain tiles then a manual cutter won't work at all. My advice... get the wet one in argos if its just a bit you have to do. Its about the same price as the manual one on ebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

ill dig out the argos and have a look thanks:) its a good few tiles we will have to cut actually for a medium size bathroom

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You should be able to get one from HSS or SAM Hire I expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Avns1s wrote:
    For 18" tiles you're far better off with a wet cutter. You will have problems with your cut running off on tiles that length, depending on the type of tile. If per chance, it's porcelain tiles then a manual cutter won't work at all. My advice... get the wet one in argos if its just a bit you have to do. Its about the same price as the manual one on ebay!

Far better off with a wet cutter?

a good sigma tile cutter will have no problems cutting any tiles once you get the correct size one. Any decent rental place will have one - not sure off price though.

A manual cutter wont cut porcelain tiles?

As above a decent manual tile cutter will have no problem cutting any tiles. A wet saw will take longer, and especially with porcelain tiles you should be prepared for spending money on wet saw blades if you have a large amount to do.

My advice - rent a decent sigma tile cutter, and if you want to do a proper job you will need a wet saw anyway for any L shaped cuts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Far better off with a wet cutter?

a good sigma tile cutter will have no problems cutting any tiles once you get the correct size one. Any decent rental place will have one - not sure off price though.

A manual cutter wont cut porcelain tiles?

As above a decent manual tile cutter will have no problem cutting any tiles. A wet saw will take longer, and especially with porcelain tiles you should be prepared for spending money on wet saw blades if you have a large amount to do.

My advice - rent a decent sigma tile cutter, and if you want to do a proper job you will need a wet saw anyway for any L shaped cuts etc.

You've never laid any porcelain tiles then!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Avns1s wrote:

Don't know what you have used Avns1s but I tiled our kitchen, bathroom and utilities floors and the bathroom walls in 600mm * 300mm porcelain tiles and used a 750mm sigma.
    My brother and the guys who work for him all use sigmas for porcelain;

From what I have seen it is down to lack of technique to get the correct cut and snap, if you don't do it right you will shatter the tile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Avns1s wrote:

Of course i have laid porcelain tiles, i wouldn't have commented on the situation if i hadn't.

As the above poster says - anyone who cannot cut 12 inch tiles on a sigma tile cutter, the reasons lie only in lack of experience.

Advertisement