Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contrast ratios in big LCDs

• 20-01-2007 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm a newby at this HD stuff, so please bear with me if I'm asking dumb newby questions. :D

A buddy of mine has a Viewpia LC-42IE12 (http://www.viewpia.nl/html/products.asp?code=42IE12), and while he's generally delighted with it, we have a bit of an issue with it when using an X-Box 360.
    There's pretty poor detail to be seen in dark/shadowed areas, and no amount of fiddling with contrast/brightness, etc appears to rectify it. Turning both to 100% improves the shadow detail a bit, but results in a very contrasty and blown out image in normally lit and bright scenes.
    This is particularly troublesome in Burnout Revenge for example, where some levels involve driving through pretty dark areas with solid stuff into which to crash. This is somewhat difficult when you can't see the obstacles. :rolleyes:

I'm on the brink of spending money on a similar size TV, but I'm hesitating because of this issue.
    Currently, my only HD source is the X-Box, but I'll be subscribing to Sky HD soon too.

This is the only biggish HD television I have any experience of in a domestic situation, so I'm wondering if this sort of thing is common to all LCD screens, or does the 1200:1 contrast ratio of this particular set have any bearing on it?
    A bit of Interweb research tells me that anything much below 1500:1 isn't really considered 'optimal', and I see plenty of sets claiming 2000:1 and higher.

Am I thinking along the right lines here and would a higher contrast ratio screen improve/remove this issue, or would I be better looking at plasma instead?

Advertisement