Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a Scam

Options
  • 20-01-2007 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

SO i picked up a trial copy of World of Warcraft the other day, as the game was recommended to me by a friend,but i didnt want to sub straight away

so i bought it,installed it and created an account.........alls well

now i discover before i can start to play, i have to download 480mb's of updates!scam i tell you! the box clearly states dial up internet will work with it,but broadband is reremended..............this is lies..........no one on dial up could possibly be able to download this

can someone give me an email address fro billzard for me to express my outrage?

and also do i have to right to return the product to where i bought it[gamestop]?i know its only 2 euro but i hate being scamed
    and im in the legal right as it was misleading information on the box

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Eh, what scam? Eve is 'dial up friendly' and you could have a 600mb download to do with it. It's not like dial up connections are incapable of downloads that large or anything....

Plus, 2 euro...

Oh, and I've done larger downloads on a dial up connection. Far larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Oh boo hoo. Ring Joe Duffy and get over it.

Battlefield II currently needs the same size of patch if you want to play it online.

...and what about XP itself? I must have counted about 2GB of updates coming in through the Automatic Update facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

i have to download 480mb's of updates!scam i tell you! the box clearly states dial up internet will work with it,but broadband is reremended..............this is lies..........no one on dial up could possibly be able to download this

Try their website.

And maybe you should have started the thread with 'Would some nice WoW playing boardsie please stick the updates on a CD and post it to me?'

People are helpfull around here if approached nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't see how that's a scam, online games get updates, updates can get big depending on what content is in them. Would you rather they didn't update the games or didn't fix anything or add things people want?

If you want to play an MMORPG, you'll have to live with big patches, that's the way it is. Actually if you want to play games online, you'll sometimes have to live with big patches, like someone mentioned the BF games can have big updates too.

You can try getting someone to burn it to CD for you if you ask nicely, you'll probably get annoyed every time they release a patch because they can be big sometimes. It's something you'll either have to live with, or wait until you have broadband.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Far from a scam,they update the game to improve it,this is a good thing.
    Whats to stop you downloading updates overnight?

Thats what i had to do when on dialup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i noticed the specs on the box too
    zould this run on dial up or on an averqge BB connection .. thats irish broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It's not a scam as it was only €2, it's not like you singed up for anything and now cant get out of the agreement. €2 for a load of code is good value I think.

I suppose they could have updated the demo CD but that would bring up the price of the CD...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

The patch can be downloaded using dialup, at a large cost, hence why broadband is recommended...

But seriously, what kind of a response were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

min specs are really minimum for a reason, they are not ideal. You can play/download on dial-up therefore minimum specs.
    You need to download large patches, therefore broadband recommended.
    zould this run on dial up or on an averqge BB connection .. thats irish broadband
    As long as you can stay connected to the internet then you can. Pings ain't vital for this (i mean a lot of people play this with 500ish pings) but obviously lower is better.

The game itself doesn't take up a whole lot of bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

As was said, you could have just asked nicely if anyone would be able to put the updates on a CD for you. I am sure there would be a few willing people (myself included).

It's not a scam. Dial-up will work, they recommend broadband, no scam.

Also, just so you know, it's more like 1.4GB for all the patches AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

sorry for the flipout guys.......im such a noOb at online games..........would anyone be willing to put it on a cd for me?
    i would pay a small fee through paypal

PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Octavarium

Man I can completely sympathise...

I remember finding out the updates I had to download when I bought Guild Wars while on dial-up.

In these kind of situations, I found this helped, and it's free!
    http://www.getright.com/

It's a download manager that allows you to pause large downloads (you could download ten MB, pause the download, and resume when you wake up the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness though, there must be something they can do for trial users. The idea of the trial is to lure possible gamers, not make them freak out at how long it'll take to play the game. I recently got the Star Wars Galaxies trial and after almost a week of downloading various patches, i just gave up. They lost a possible customer because noboy wants to wait that long for a game. There has to be a happy medium that doesn't need too much patching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I can't believe some people have said it just takes some time.
    I make it out to be about 3 days of constantant downloadingon 56k to get 1.4 gb.
    How could that be practical in anyones mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

tuxy wrote:
    I can't believe some people have said it just takes some time.
    I make it out to be about 3 days of constantant downloadingon 56k to get 1.4 gb.
    broadband recommended

Is anyone actually playing the game on dial-up?
    Is it physically possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Not saying its practical, saying its technically possible.

B-K-DzR wrote:
    Not saying its practical, saying its technically possible.

But thats a bit like telling someone, technically you can play a game even if your pc only runs it a 3 fps.

Not really. It's like saying, you can play the game, but you just have to wait a week longer than anyone else to start (or you could reply to the PM a friendly boardster sent you... *cough*). Not really too much to ask, IMO. Just leave it running day and night and it will be done in a couple of days.

The quicker solution has been proposed, I await a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,006 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I remember when updating half life with an 85mb patch seemed like a big deal on dialup.

Anyway, why would you even consider playing WoW with a 56k? Surely that would be more pain then it's worth.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote:
    Anyway, why would you even consider playing WoW with a 56k? Surely that would be more pain then it's worth.

Do you know how little bandwidth wow uses? Check it out with something like du meter sometime.
    And latency, once under 300, isn't a big problem in wow either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

tuxy wrote:
    And latency, once under 300, isn't a big problem in wow either.

Played Wg with a ping of 2000 and came out on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Go to internet cafe. Download patches. Burn to DVD.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_Mirrors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

krazy_8s wrote:
    Played Wg with a ping of 2000 and came out on top.

but u r teh face melter.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

Gurgle wrote:
    broadband recommended

Is anyone actually playing the game on dial-up?
    Is it physically possible?

i have raided MC on a 33k modem with no problems. i have also done some questing in Outlands using bluetooth to my mobile phone and a 3g connection.

33k gives pings of about 300ms
    and 3G about 600ms

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

tuxy wrote:
    Check it out with something like du meter sometime.
    I used a meter similar to this. 40-man raids don't take up much bandwidth, but using mods such as KTM and ct_raidassist do actually drive the usage up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Honestly, how is that a scam? They are providing new exciting content and updates weekly, and you call it a scam? L2P please ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

300ms / 600ms is still ****.
    IMO your a ****ing idiot to play an MMO on anything less than broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hey Zorba, hows about you don't call someone a "****ing idiot" again (read the charter). Kthnxbye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    300ms / 600ms is still ****.
    IMO your a ****ing idiot to play an MMO on anything less than broadband.

Have you tried playing Wow on anything other then broadband?

Advertisement