Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't Network

Options
  • 20-01-2007 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Installed a wireless network card in a friend's laptop but couldn't find any networks even though the laptop was beside his wireless router and everything was turned on, etc...

Went in to Control Panel, Networks and there was no icons. He then told me that previously he asked another friend to remove any ability for that computer to access the internet (paranoid reasons).

Now he wants to be able to connect to the internet but I can't set up a connection to a network either wireless or via cable. Can I reinstall the required programs to create network connections on a laptop? He has Windows XP Professional.

If I could download the required programs on to another computer and copy them across that would be perfect. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

There should be an option to make a new connection in the Network settings.

There should also be an option in Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs to Add/remove Windows Components.

This will allow you to re-install missing network components if necessary.

Also check firewall settings, and if he has a network socket on the laptop, plug it straight into the router and see if he can connect that way too.

Depending on the wireless settings in the router, he may have to set up other settings on his laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also the wireless functionality may be turned off in the router. If you can connect via a network card and a cable, and put the routers IP address into a web browser you should be able to see the web pages that manage the router.

To find the routers IP address.

After everythinf is connected your PC should get an ip address by DHCP.

Then
    Click on the start button

Goto Run

Type command in the box and hit return

When a black box with white writing opens, type ipconfig into it.

There will be a line default gateway 192.168.0.1 put the numbers after the default gateway into the browser.

There will probably be a wireless section.

Other IP addresses might be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254

If you post the details of the equipment I might be able to give other details

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

ST wrote:
    There should be an option to make a new connection in the Network settings.

This option is not there, the Network Connections window is completely empty.
    ST wrote:
    There should also be an option in Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs to Add/remove Windows Components.

I'll give this a go and see what happens. Connecting to the router via network cable gives no joy either. The router recognises the connection (yellow light) but on the laptop one of the lights at the network socket is orange/red while the other is green.

Thanks for your help, I'll try to re-add the windows components for networking...

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

could this be a group edit policy maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Humaxf1 you may have something there.

Clum,

Are you logged in as Administrator or a User on the PC?

Just as windows starts if you press the F8 key on the laptop, it will give you a number of startup options.

If you select start in safe mode you will get the option to log in as Administrator or another User.

Log in as Administrator and check the User profile of all other users on the Users section of Control Panel.

Make your friend an Administrator and see if it helps.

Also right Click on My Compter, select Properties.
    When the window opens select the Hardware Tab, then Device Manager.

In the device list there should be an entry for Network Adapters, and if that is expanded one for his network chip/card.
    If you right click on this and select Properties, check that the device is Enabled and that it is Working Properly.

If there is no entry, you may see one with a yellow circle with an exclamation mark.
    You will then have to try and trouble shoot the device.
    Try installing the network drivers, or removing the device and then get windows to "Find New Hardware" and see what happens.

Good Luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement