Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get my router to connect automatically..?

Options
  • 20-01-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi there

My router failed recently and I've received a new router from my provider - a BT Voyager 2110. Previously, once I switched on my pc it automatically connected to my wireless adapter and if I wanted to go online all I had to was click IE/Mozilla and away.

Now since the new router was installed I first have to go onto my wireless adapter and scan for available networks. Then once it's found the router, I have to tell it to use WEP at 128 bits and then enter a 26 key WEP Key and save before it all finally links and I can go online.

It's driving me mad. I've already spent hours on hold to tech support to try and get the router issue sorted so I don't fancy another day wasted.

Has anyone any ideas that will help my pc see my router automatically like before. The wireless adapter I use is a ZyXel G-260 if it matters. The old router was also a ZyXel.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi there

My router failed recently and I've received a new router from my provider - a BT Voyager 2110. Previously, once I switched on my pc it automatically connected to my wireless adapter and if I wanted to go online all I had to was click IE/Mozilla and away.

Now since the new router was installed I first have to go onto my wireless adapter and scan for available networks. Then once it's found the router, I have to tell it to use WEP at 128 bits and then enter a 26 key WEP Key and save before it all finally links and I can go online.

It's driving me mad. I've already spent hours on hold to tech support to try and get the router issue sorted so I don't fancy another day wasted.

Has anyone any ideas that will help my pc see my router automatically like before. The wireless adapter I use is a ZyXel G-260 if it matters. The old router was also a ZyXel.

I suggest that you go into your router set up and turn off the wep option. Enable wpa which will request a password (its much simpler and stronger security wise than wep)

Save the changes and then when your card finds the router enter the password and hopefully your settings should then work each time you want to log on.

Advertisement