Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ISP To Go With?????

Options
  • 21-01-2007 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Having finally gotten the line passed for Broadband my thoughs go to who's the most reliable ISP to sign-up with?????
    The packages i'm steered towards are mainly the 2MB connection with the 20GB Cap, but it just comes down to who's got the best customer support & the fewer problems with service:eek:
    I've the ISP's listed below that are available in the Glenties, Donegal area :

1. BT.
    2. Digiweb.
    3. Eircom.
    4. Imagine.....though the line test atm says the tel.no. isn't valid
    5. Cinergi......same as above.
    6. Perlico.

Though i do like the Cinergi package with no Cap for €5.95 extra. Posting this so i don't make a crappy mistake & contracted then for a whole year.:o :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

id go with BT but you cant go wrong with a connection for 6euro really its only like 70 something quid for the year, always get a second connection if it dont work.

Im assuming eircoms costumer support is top notch though, bt's costumers support is questionalbe.

I have only heard bad things about perlico

imagine is smart is it?

Digiweb though i like where there coming from and when we couldnt get internet in we signed up with there ripwave for 3 months and though it was diabolical at the best of times it was better than nothing. No experience with there DSL though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Digiweb though i like where there coming from and when we couldnt get internet in we signed up with there ripwave for 3 months and though it was diabolical at the best of times it was better than nothing.

I assume you mean Irish Broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

isnt digiweb and IBB same people? if not apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Nope, two completely separate companies. And imagine isn't smart either.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

If I were you I'd start off with Eircom to get up and running. It's only a 6 month contract so after 6 months you can look again. For me BT seem to promise anything to get you to sign up but do not always deliver and it has been reported here that BT's billing dept is a mess and while Eircoms support is not exactly the dogs bollo, it's not the worst by any means, at least you can normally get to speak to someone and they will get back to you, also any billing mistakes are put right fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Might be worth checking the upload speeds of the different companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

BT first and Eircom second the other companies I wouldn't bother with at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

BT first and Eircom second the other companies I wouldn't bother with at all tbh.
    Certainly on DSL anyway.

Some other companies make more sense if you can't get DSL or it turns out the DSL is unreliable due to poor line.

Digiweb & IBB are not remotely similar ISPs. IBB's ripwave is kind of wireless ISDN/Dialup and Digiweb's Metro is DSL performance, or like what UPC/NTL will be like when they finish fixing NTL Ireland's past neglect.

If you want/have cable TV, then UPC will be a good choice in long term. If you want Satellite TV or just aerial TV and want to ditch eircom line and save line rental, then Digiweb's Metro with its phone service is an option.

I do know people with DSL that have changed to Metro or Cable due to line problems or to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭sioda

Go with Smart they have the best deal by far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

BT, BT and BT. If you switch everything over to BT and get the 2Mb or 3Mb package, you not only get the BB at a good rate but your line rental is cut to €20+vat for the two months per bill.

They're pretty effective at getting you going, their customer service is a little dodgy and their billing department isn't always sure what it's doing but other than that it's pretty good - I've never had a problem.

Sioda, the OP is in Donegal so they probably don't have Smart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Fubarts

Thx for for the feed-back folks. As far as BT....well i'd heard the billing department was supposed to be a bit of a nightmare atm.
    Think i'll give it a few days before i sign-away the cash to any ISP.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Digiweb DSL is fine for me, although I am in Dublin not Donegal. BT cust support and billing dept wouldn't make me recommend them to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

watty wrote:
    Certainly on DSL anyway.
    Yes true, I would use an addendum but your own post does the job better then anything I could post.
    watty wrote:
    Digiweb's Metro is DSL performance, or like what UPC/NTL will be like when they finish fixing NTL Ireland's past neglect.
    So the current problems are definitely short-term only? It seems that UPC have just made a total hash of the brand that was NTL - it used to be a no-brainer to recommend them but now it's just gone horribly wrong. I used to hope that they could in some way force Eircom to compete but they seem to have stood still since being taken over.

Advertisement