Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed....Dog minding Kinnegad

Options
  • 21-01-2007 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I've a bit of a problem and im putting it out there to see if anyone can offer advice or come up with a solution that i havent found yet.

The story is....
    We have a family pet in maynooth. A border collie.
    I live in Kinnegad
    I work in, and commute to, the other side of the country....by motorbike.
    Im at home every second day from 4pm till 9am the following day. (awkward eh:) )

The person who was living at home has now moved due to work and cant take the dog with them. I have 2 sisters, neither of which can take the dog.

The only solution I can come up with is along the lines of me taking the dog and paying someone to feed/walk her every second evening.
    The problems are.....

*Money. How much should I expect to give someone for this assuming i provide the food ?
    *The dog has always been an indoors dog....but I would be wary of giving a stranger access to my house until I trusted them...I could convert the garden shed into a large heated kennel, but im not sure the dog would use it.

Somebody suggested calling a rescue, and asking them to take the dog and then set up a monthly standing order to help them, or maybe offer a few days a month to help out. If it comes to it and theres no alternative I think this is a plausable option.... there is a dog rescue near mullingar (friends of animals?) which seems well run.

My preferred option would be to keep the dog and arrange someone to call in every second evening.
    The dog is extremely timid and biting/attacking anyone is very unlikely.
    if anyone has any views on this wrt effects on the dog or if it would be fairer on the dog to bring her to a rescue/rehome etc as opposed to having human company only a few hours every day then please offer any advice you have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

If the dog is an indoor dog and used to lots of human company, then I think the best thing would be to rehome it. I think the dog would become very lonely and distressed if it was on it's own too long having been used to company. A well run rescue centre will try and match the dog up to a similiar home that it was used to. Best of luck with your decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

HI

If you look on the front page of www.irishanimals.ie there may be info on dog walking services in your area.

It sounds to me like your dog would not do well in a rescue environment with loads of other dogs and the madness that ensues with them.
    If he is timid it may make him nervous and nippy and it will also make him very difficult to re-home.
    beleive me there are literally thousands of unwanted collies in Ireland and they are not easy to re-home at the best of times.

I would also try to speak to a lady that runs a collie rescue in Mullingar to see if she can offer you any advice.
    Again her details would be on the irish animals website.

best of luck - I think it can work for you if you get a walker in and the dog gets the attention and exercise it needs.
    Also have a think about doing some classes with him on weekends etc as it may help with his confidence and general behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Jamesobrady

Cheers for the replies folks, much appreciated.
    Cheers for the link suzy, some good info there and a few numbers i can try :)

Advertisement