Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay and VAT

Options
  • 21-01-2007 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I just listed an item on ebay and it said my item includes VAT and I will be sent a bill if it is sold. My understanding is if you dont sell over 21k or so then you dont charge VAT? Or am i talking complete ****e?

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Sort of.

If you don't sell over a cetain amount in a single year then you don't need to register for VAT. As such you can't claim VAT back on anything you bought and don't charge VAT on anything you sell.

However, this is not restriced to one sale. So the vendor in this instance could have sold more than the threshold in one year (can't remember what it is - maybe 25k or something) and as such even if you bought an item for €1 he will still have to charge you VAT.

The problem here is if you are a company try to buy something from someone who is not VAT registered. As such you cannot claim any VAT back and will cost you the full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Just re-read your post and mis-understood the original question!

I would imagine that this is standard ebay blurb about VAT. The final price you sell at would be yours (less ebay fees). You are not VAT registered and as such cannot charge VAT.

Advertisement