Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't access ftp remotely.

• 21-01-2007 2:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

I can’t access my ftp server from outside my home network (remotely).

I need help here!

I am using an AOLYNK DR814 router (Smart BB Non Bridged mode) and have an ASUS WL-500g Premium wireless router connected to it. (Connecting to Internet fine)

The ASUS has USB ports for connecting an external hard drive for downloading without the need for the PC to be connected. (This is working fine)

The ASUS software also has the ability to create your own ftp server!

This is where the problem is.

I have the ftp setup & its working fine on my internal network but I can not access it from outside of that. Anytime I try to connect to it from a remote location it just displays the “This page can not be displayed” error.

Both routers have their separate IP’s within the same range. 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2

I know that the IP address I’m using to connect from outside is correct, so I suspect it has something to do with accessing the Aolynk router & forwarding that onto the ASUS router. I have forwarded 192.168.1.2 from the Aolynk but I still can’t gain access. I'm not sure if its something else I need to set on the Aolynk or the ASUS, or both?

This is not one of my strong areas, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

so the Aolynk is connected to the internet, and the ASUS is connected to the AoLynk. Assuming the ASUS is 192.168.1.2, you have gone to 192.168.1.1 and forwarded port 21 to 192.168.1.2, is that correct? Can you connect to your ftp server by ftping your WAN IP address from inside your LAN?

(rather than just ftping the server at the ASUS router by its internal address)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

so the Aolynk is connected to the internet, and the ASUS is connected to the AoLynk. Assuming the ASUS is 192.168.1.2, you have gone to 192.168.1.1 and forwarded port 21 to 192.168.1.2, is that correct? Can you connect to your ftp server by ftping your WAN IP address from inside your LAN?

(rather than just ftping the server at the ASUS router by its internal address)

Hi generalmiaow,

Yes you are correct, I have forwarded port 21 on the Aolynk to 192.168.1.2 (which is the IP for the ASUS)

And no, I can't connect to my ftp server by ftping my WAN IP address from inside my LAN?

If I http://my WAN IP it does bring me to the Admin page of the Aolynk though.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

These are the instructions I used to forward the Aolynk port 21 to the ASUS.
    I put "21" into the start & end ports.
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=169

I wonder if there is something on the ASUS settings blocking me?

But then again, I don't even seem to be getting as far as the Aolynk from outside???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

If I http://my WAN IP it does bring me to the Admin page of the Aolynk though.

your doing this from a web browser???????

try connecting to the ip address with an ftp client and specify the port etc
    filezilla is a free one i think

i assume u have it set to use a user name and password???
    if connecting from a web browser you would use this format

ftp://username : password@your wan ip address:21

where 21 is the port number

calex71 wrote:
    your doing this from a web browser???????

try connecting to the ip address with an ftp client and specify the port etc
    filezilla is a free one i think

i assume u have it set to use a user name and password???
    if connecting from a web browser you would use this format

ftp://username : password@your wan ip address:21

where 21 is the port number

Yes I am trying to connect via the Web.

Yes I have a username & password set.

The access method is ftp://My WAN IP address

The colon 21 (:21) is not necessary.

The reason I say this is because I have the same system setup on a friends system & it is working very well. The only difference is that he is using one wireless router only. That is why I'm convinced that my issue is a setting on one of my routers that is not allowing access.

When I connect to his via the Web using ftp://His WAN IP address, it pops up a username & password box & away I go?

Someone else in another post mentioned filezilla too & I will be checking that out.

Right now I'm on a mission to find out why I can connect to my friends and not to my own? (a Martyr for punishment :eek: )

Your input is appreciated calex71, Thanks.

• Advertisement

well you are better off testing using filezilla or the ftp command (assuming windows: run > cmd > ftp > open <wan address>), but I suppose the effect is the same. At least you'll be sure that you're connecting to the right port, since you can specify it.

It'll be good to know you can't ftp to your WAN address internally since it would be an indication port 21 isn't being blocked WAN-side (not that smart do that anyway). It's more likely that it just isn't being forwarded, or that the FTP server on the ASUS router only accepts connections on the same subnet (to prevent intruders). To test this, you can do a few things, the first I can think of is run an ftp server on a computer on your network behind the ASUS router (try "quick and easy ftp server" or something, run it on your laptop, desktop etc.). Forward port 21 to that, and then try to ftp to it (using your wan address of course). If possible you might try running an ftp server on a machine connected directly to the AoLynk, forwarding port 21, and so on. You could also try to set the server to listen on different ports, forward them. Then you can figure out whether the port is being forwarded properly, and post the results here and we can see. You should also investigate whether you are using UPnP.

I'd wager that you'll get more responses if you ask this thread be moved to Nets&Comms btw, there are people there very knowledgeable about networking.

You should also investigate whether you are using UPnP.

I'm not sure if I am using UPnp or where to check that?

If that does refer to the "Transport Type" then that is set to "UDP" as per Smarts instructions. http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forum...read.php?t=169

You ought to find it somewhere near the port forwarding settings. It refers to a system that can automatically virtually forward ports according to application requests.

Advertisement