Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what rc for €200

Options
  • 21-01-2007 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi im looking at buying an rc monster truck what do u guys recommend for around the €200 mark.
    im looking for ease of use relibality spare parts easy to get electric or nitro doesnt matter and would prefer an off road truck or buggy.
    more than likely will be buying from the internet so wheres the best to purchase?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

You wont get much. Go another 30 euro ex.delivery adn you can get the old Traxxas Rustler from modelsport.co.uk including battery and chanrger:)
    I got it for Christmas and its a great truck [stadium]

The first one is the only one I would think about. The 2nd is a cheapo Maxx I think. The 3rd is a generic car. looks like the smartech speedy tiger on steriods to put it bluntly:D . It is cheap and not worth it. Google up some reviews and read thread on forums about the CEN as theres alot of good-bad storys about them where as there isnt with the rustler :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

the rustler is electric im just worried about running time with these at least with nitro u can run for longer.

15mins Isn't bad, And if you have a few packs charged you have a good long run ;)

• Advertisement

15mins isnt to bad would like longer what nitro truck would u recommend for around the €250 mark?

None really:o You can hope that Vectra gets over his litle bump with ebay and does some searching for you since he is the mighty one:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Before I would buy anything, I'd try and find some reviews. If you don't find any, it normally means: a) The product is too new, or b) The product is not worth reviewing.

Secondly I'd look into the availability of parts and hop-ups. Of those 3 links you posted, how easy is it to get simple things like spur gears, suspension arms, etc? Personally I'd stay away from all 3 those, looks like toys to me, not hobby quality.

Also remember the "hidden" costs, since you're new to electric models, there would be batteries (3 or 4 I'd suppose) and also a decent charger if you don't have one already.

And lastly, remember the 21% VAT and the (3% I think it is?) customs/excise that could be added.

That is why I recomended the Traxxas Rustler form www.modelsport.co.uk
    Everything in ex. delivery is €230 no tax needs paying as it is in the EU;)

Yeah, but that is the old model, not the 2006 with the xl-5 esc.;)

• Advertisement

the xl-5 isnt that much greater bar the motor;)

kinda gone off the idea of an electric one would rather longer run time saw this are these any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HPI-Racing-Firestorm-RTR-1-10th-Nitro-Stadium-Truck_W0QQitemZ260077789655QQihZ016QQcategoryZ44029QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

will be using it mainly around the Curragh near newbridge its all open grass field kinda bumpy

Not a bad model I think and RCBoyz is an excellent outfit as well.

However, $250 plus prolly like $50 p&p plus 21% Vat plus 3% customs = €300 give or take.

Also, depending on engine size, driving style, terrain, model, etc. you'd be very lucky to get 15mins run time per tank in any case, so basically 1 tank = 1 battery in terms of run time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

kinda gone off the idea of an electric one would rather longer run time saw this are these any good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HPI-Racing-Firestorm-RTR-1-10th-Nitro-Stadium-Truck_W0QQitemZ260077789655QQihZ016QQcategoryZ44029QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

will be using it mainly around the Curragh near newbridge its all open grass field kinda bumpy

Right.
    Battery is a waste of time unless you have lots of packs with you if you are going out for a day.
    15 Minutes would be based on having your cells in top condition I would think. Then what happens when they start to go bad? Buy more? :(

ok,
    Now for option 2, Nitro. Unless you have had one already and know how to tune them to a "T" then you wont get anywhere near 15 minutes runtime as it will overheat and break you heart.. You will end up asking yourself "why did you bother"

Go for option 3.

Get a 1/5 scale Petrol monster.:D

40 Minutes to the tankful.
    What more could you want?
    I have an onroad version and love it.
    I am stuck in a bit of a dilemna at the moment about an offroader I bought but unfortunately it went missing on its way to me. Now I just gotta sit it out until it gets sorted and go get another one ( 2 actually as my 15 yr. old son wants one now ) :rolleyes:
    I am trying to persuade him to sell his hopped up T-Maxx but he is holding out to see if he can get the better of me by saying. "C'mon Dad. I am doing my Junior cert this year and deserve one.. " :rolleyes:
    I guess he is right there but i am not going to tell him that until he finishes ;)

Anyway.
    There is my cent's worth.
    As the fellow said." I have been there and done trhat" as far as electric and nitro is concerned and cannot ever see myself going back to them. :cool:

In fact.
    Keep an eye on this one. FG Marder

I will update my ebay thread later if you wish ;)

the brother had an fg before there wicked i had a savage 25 was able to tune it ok was getting an average of 15 mins per tank.

just want something to bash around the fg would be more than im willing to spend budget isnt a problem just dont want to spend that much on one.

also would like a new one but if push came to shove could be persuaded for second hand.

the brother had an fg before there wicked i had a savage 25 was able to tune it ok was getting an average of 15 mins per tank.

just want something to bash around the fg would be more than im willing to spend budget isnt a problem just dont want to spend that much on one.

also would like a new one but if push came to shove could be persuaded for second hand.

So, Are you set on nitro or Electric?
    2wd or 4wd ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Bit more than you wanted to spend but awsom!!!!!!!!

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=22851

:D

Might be able to persuade my son to sell his Associated T4 or maybe even sell his Hopped up T-Maxx.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

vectra wrote:
    "C'mon Dad. I am doing my Junior cert this year and deserve one.. " :rolleyes:

Thats what I said, he gave me enough money to cover the price of the T-maxx:D

• Advertisement

think its going to be a nitro model. 2wd/4wd no to bothered about that.
    the only thing that i am worried about with the stadium trucks that im looking at is ground clearance.
    this is where we go to bash would the clearance be enough on a stadium?

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nklc.ie/images/donhollsand.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.nklc.ie/photogallery/gallery.htm&h=336&w=448&sz=92&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=larVmFZTOVYsNM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddonnellys%2Bhollow%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN

the bro is also looking for another buggy/monster truck/stadium also. so vectra can u post up pics of yours models.

the bro is also looking for another buggy/monster truck/stadium also. so vectra can u post up pics of yours models.

Have a look HERE. Pics are old but the Maxx has since got my 2.5r engine installed and has had little running. ( 1/2 gallon in total I would guess) Has Revo wheels/Tyres and a different shell. Has full alloy hopups as in Wishbones/shocktowers etc. I have a revo resonator pipe that is yet to be fitted. Have some spare wheels/Tyres and also I have the original wishbones along with some spares. ;)

what price on both? they look good
    is there any faults with either?

what price on both? they look good
    is there any faults with either?

Well .. This is how my Revo ended up. PROJECT REVO :cool:
    But then I sold it to Plug.. :(

T-Maxx is still around but I cannot put a price on it as it is not mine to sell.. it would be up to my son if he would sell it or not. An idea what you would be prepared to pay for it and I would see if he would contemplate selling it. :confused:

No problems with it.. it wheelies like mad.. If you could arrange collection there is over half of a gallon of 25% tornado here as well that you could have. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Want a mini-T for €100?:D
    BUT your better off looking into the maxx cause, well...there big, fast and quality!
    Im starting to sound like a traxxas employee now:(

wouldnt have a clue on the price to be honest.

also looking at a
    hpi mt2 reviews look good on it and parts seem handy to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Stephenmarr's brother here...

I'm looking to get a 4wd nitro truck as well. I was looking at the Cen Magnum NX. Can get a new one for $300 delivered. Duty wont be much if it is stopped. The Cen gets good reviews, but what are your opinions folks?

Oh, and I can definately recommend the FG if the budget allows. I had one and it was a monster!!! Check it out

Just dont want to have that kind of money tied up in an RC again, and 1/10 hop-ups are a LOT cheaper than 1/6

Stephenmarr's brother here...

I'm looking to get a 4wd nitro truck as well. I was looking at the Cen Magnum NX. Can get a new one for $300 delivered. Duty wont be much if it is stopped. The Cen gets good reviews, but what are your opinions folks?

Oh, and I can definately recommend the FG if the budget allows. I had one and it was a monster!!! Check it out

Just dont want to have that kind of money tied up in an RC again, and 1/10 hop-ups are a LOT cheaper than 1/6

I remember selling that to my buddy for you . :D

Any offers on my sons T-Maxx ?
    He is still undecided as to what to do.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

vectra wrote:
    Any offers on my sons T-Maxx ?
    €100 :cool:

• Advertisement

nikimere wrote:
    €100 :cool:

Which part of it did you want to buy? :D