Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External USB drive crashed - HELP!

• 21-01-2007 3:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

The irony of it...my backup drive crashed!

It's a Deskstar (heard a lot of bad things about them) 80Gb, running in a USB 2.0 enclosure.

Outside of backups I store all my iTunes music, and copies of software on this drive...have over 10Gb of software that I really need! Have backups of most, but really would like to recover everything from this drive that I can.

In the casing it doesn't boot, keeps making a low beeping noise, followed by a few quick ticks, back to the beeping nosie, and so on...

Anything I can do? Tried mounting it internally, but it won't let the PC boot then!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

did you try changing the jumpers around when you have it in the pc.
    Are you dismounting the drive before you turn it off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Should be set as the Slave drive ideally when put in the PC if you haven't already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

ya set as slave, bios won't recognise it. tried it in 4 pcs, just will not boot. data recovery programme no good, because win xp can't see the drive at all, and with the drive mounted internally it won't boot to xp.

f**k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

coolmoose wrote:
    ya set as slave, bios won't recognise it. tried it in 4 pcs, just will not boot. data recovery programme no good, because win xp can't see the drive at all, and with the drive mounted internally it won't boot to xp.

f**k

don't try to boot off it, boot the good one and try to access the other

sorry, meant boot as in it doesn't make any sound, no vibrations anything. i set it as primary slave, with a good, working win xp pro sp2 install as primary master...no joy. the master will not boot with this drive as a slave on any of my systems.

can't really afford data recovery services, any other ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

same thing happened to my deskstar, it started working the next day, but was full of bad sectors, was able to get a good few things of it though

if that doesn't work you'll have to pay to get the data recovered or try the old plastic back in the freezer trick

have it in the freezer now, last resort really.

only bought the damn thing on the 11th dec! gonna be paying maplin a visit with a (defrosted) drive tomorrow methinks. grrrr.

coolmoose wrote:
    have it in the freezer now, last resort really.

only bought the damn thing on the 11th dec! gonna be paying maplin a visit with a (defrosted) drive tomorrow methinks. grrrr.

oh yeah you'll have no trouble getting it replaced, IBM drives are crap

did you read up on freezing it elsewhere, or did you just read my reply?
    and i hope you put it in a good air tight plastic bag?

why did you buy a wd, seagate or samsung hard drive in maplins, www.komplette.ie is the only place for hard drives, i bought well over 100 large hard drives from them in my xbox modding days, cheapest and never a problem

oh i read up on it, don't worry! :) was contemplating doing it before i read ur reply, you jst spurred me on!

needed a drive urgently back in dec, live 2 mins from maplin...shuda gone with komplett, normally do.

neways, drive going back tomorrow, might just get credit note r sumtin, don't think i wanna get my new drive from maplin, only really sell maxtor and hitachi.

gotta abuse my credit card with komplett again. thanks for all your replies folks!

what about your files???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you have an iPod that you usually sync with iTunes, you can restore your iTunes library from the iPod, by using a utility such as Senuti.

As far as the drive, if it's still spinning, I am 99% certain you can recover it by using Diskrite, the best disk recovery tool ever made! It can even work with external USB drives, though it would be best to move the drive into your PC temporarily, so it can get low level access and rebuild it.

will try senuti and diskritem tanks urban.

mukki, as regards the files, still trying to recover them today, but if its not successful ill have to call it a day! :(

@urban, can't find diskrite, where did you download it from?

Advertisement