Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland playing at home outside Dublin?

• 21-01-2007 12:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering does anyone know if Thommond Park will be finished its redevelopment before Lansdowne? I think Jones Road is only available for competitive games so maybe there could be some friendlies played in Limerick.

Terracing is allowed for friendlies though I'm not sure if Thommond Park is gonna be all-seater, but what will it's capacity be? I think I read somewhere it'll be about 25,000. Defo big enough imo for a couple of friendlies!

I think would be a huge boost to the sport if Ireland was to play full internationals in Limerick which is on the doorstep of GAA hotspots like Clare, Tipp and Kerry. :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

good idea if it passed, i could not imagine many people in limerick turning down a chance to see the national team (despite being crappish right now)

what about pairc ui choimh in cork or thurles

pitty dalymount is in a bit of a shambles and is to be knocked, bring back the old days of internationals at dalymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

pitty dalymount is in a bit of a shambles and is to be knocked, bring back the old days of internationals at dalymount.

and lets bring back flares, mustaches and thundercats too while we're at it

does anywhere outside of dublin thats not a gaa owned ground hold more than 20,000? unlikely i reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

el rabitos wrote:
    and lets bring back flares, mustaches and thundercats too while we're at it

And Liverpool winning the league.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

what about pairc ui choimh in cork or thurles

owned by the GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

actually had this discussion at work on friday - thomond will be 26000, with stands on each sideline and 2 terraces behind the goals, it will be 15000 seats and then 11000 terrace. i would love to see ireland games in Limerick, however i dont think it will happen, maybe a few friendles, but that is it. if all goes to plan, it should be complete in 18 months or so. realistically, the only friendlies that would be played there would be between the completion of work in thomand and the opening of landsdowne.

A few rugby games would be played there, but only as a last resort as the capacity would be too small. its a pity they didnt go another 10-15000 and make it all seater. then us country folk would have an alternative to dublin once in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Even if it was only a couple of friendlies before LR is finished, wouldn't it be a wonderful boost for the sport in that part of the country? How many kids in that part of the country actually get to see the NT play in the flesh? Very few I would imagine.

I think the FAI have only ever staged two full internationals outside Dublin (both in Cork), so even if Limerick got two before LR is finished it would be fantastic. The alternative is to play friendlies away from home.

I hope this doesn't come across as patronising, but this would give the profile of Limerick a bit of a boost abroad, and would be worth quite a lot to the local economy. Any business leader or politican in Limerick should be pushing this big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Zebra3 wrote:
    I hope this doesn't come across as patronising, but this would give the profile of Limerick a bit of a boost abroad, and would be worth quite a lot to the local economy. Any business leader or politican in Limerick should be pushing this big time.

Limerick and Thomond Park are very highly thought of abroad in rugby circles. There were 1900 over from Leicester this weekend and all Im sure had a great time. Limerick only has a bad name in Ireland Im afraid.

As for the stadium, its due to be reopened in August 2008 and it would be great to see a couple of friendlies there. Im sure the IRFU and Munster Branch would like a few extra quid for their coffers too.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

bucks73 wrote:
    Limerick and Thomond Park are very highly thought of abroad in rugby circles.

And the perfect chance to be thought of likewise in footballing circles. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

bucks73 wrote:
    Limerick and Thomond Park are very highly thought of abroad in rugby circles. There were 1900 over from Leicester this weekend and all Im sure had a great time. Limerick only has a bad name in Ireland Im afraid.

it might be a good gesture considering the debacle over limerick fc and their attempt to restrain the fai (muppets) from kicking them out of the league of ireland. why cant they try and be more supportive and help them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Would be a good session anyway. :cool:

It's a decent idea though, surely a deal could be done with the IRFU., or the Munster branch, or whoever it is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement