Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb "Mytraffic" monitor?

Options
  • 21-01-2007 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Folks

I downloaded the codebox bitmeter to monitor my uploads / downloads for my broadband connection to compare them against the Digiweb Mytraffic figures. And needless to say after only one day the figures are interesting....

Mytraffic for yesterday - 1.95GB Upload and Download
    Bitmeter for yesterday - 31.56mb .....

Where is the other 1.91gb coming from??????

I was forced to upgrade connection from the 3mbs offering to the 4mbs offering because my connection was exceeding bandwidth but now I am not so sure if it WAS me that was exceeding bandwidth but rather some mistake in their system

While I do use a wireless router there are only two users on the system and the other uses uses a lot less than I do!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Are you sure that the other two people do actually use it alot less than you do? are you also sure one of them is not infected with something and being a naughty spam zombie. Which is higher your download or upload?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Any chance someone is leeching off your connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Asok wrote:
    Are you sure that the other two people do actually use it alot less than you do? are you also sure one of them is not infected with something and being a naughty spam zombie. Which is higher your download or upload?

One yes because he is hardly home and his laptop is more off than on

Its a fairly new one that has not shown up anything on virus scan.

Shane

MarkR wrote:
    Any chance someone is leeching off your connection?

Encrypted wireless connection so unless theres some way of doing it covertly no

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

1) I wouldn't put much faith in a downloaded meter, unless I tested it
    2) If anyone "pinched" Metro it wouldn't be in your download. Not possible for someone to "leech" your account via Digiweb Metro Wireless. Each Modem is unique.
    3) I don't believe AV programs and their purveyors. I use www.silentrunners.org and study the log.

Is it DSL or Metro Digiweb or Digiweb Wireless.

4) Encryption of WiFi only maybe means some can't use it. It depends how you setup the encryption. You did set up WPA or else 128 bit WEP SHARED (not OPEN) key?

• Advertisement

watty wrote:
    1) I wouldn't put much faith in a downloaded meter, unless I tested it
    I have always been suspicious that the figures generated by mytraffic were a little high considering i only did web browsing with some large downloads.
    watty wrote:
    2) If anyone "pinched" Metro it wouldn't be in your download. Not possible for someone to "leech" your account via Digiweb Metro Wireless. Each Modem is unique.

I use the hard wired version DSL Pro
    watty wrote:
    3) I don't believe AV programs and their purveyors. I use www.silentrunners.org and study the log.

Will download that and try it
    watty wrote:
    Is it DSL or Metro Digiweb or Digiweb Wireless.

DSL Pro
    watty wrote:
    4) Encryption of WiFi only maybe means some can't use it. It depends how you setup the encryption. You did set up WPA or else 128 bit WEP SHARED (not OPEN) key?

WEP Shared

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'd beleive the Digiweb Mytraffic over anything you might download for yourself.
    your traffic consists of
    * Automatic updates (not just FTP and Web browsing) for Windows and other SW
    * Possibly Skype or other VOIP
    * Possibly other things.
    Any traffic monitor you download may not be comprehensive or accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Protocol7

Has anyone else been noticing problems with Digiweb's traffic counter lately? Since the start of the month it seems to have gone crazy. I emailed and phoned them a number of times about this but have gotten nowhere. It seems to be adding up traffic usage on the double. Here's my figures for the last few days as an example. It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that something is up:

saturday:
    monthly usage listed @ 11.56pm: 42.9gb
    24 hour usage: 89.09mb
    30-day old traffic to remove: 7.82gb
    monthly usage listed @ 00.01am: 39.31gb
    24 hour usage added: 4.23gb

sunday:
    monthly usage listed @ 11.56pm: 39.85gb
    24 hour usage: 557.56mb
    30-day old traffic to remove: 3.11gb
    monthly usage listed @ 00.01am: 36.83gb
    24 hour usage added: 89.09mb

monday:
    monthly usage listed @ 11.56pm: 38.15gb
    24 hour usage: 1.32gb
    30-day old traffic to remove: 2.26gb
    monthly usage listed @ 00.01am: 36.44gb
    24 hour usage added: 557.56mb

While the previous 24 hour's traffic usage is being correctly added on (you can see this by comparing the monthly totals at midnight and 11:56pm), it is also adding on the previous NIGHT's 24-hour usage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Something strange happened to me as well.

The traffic counter stopped counting totally for about a day and a half, starting last Thursday. It started again on Friday.

What I wonder is: if the monitoring system was down, will it still deduct my usage from a month ago?

The travelling cap is a great invention, but it sure is hard to track if it's accurate....

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Protocol7

It is strange. I mean it should just be a simple case of counting your traffic usage. Then removing your 30-day old usage. But the monitor seems to be a lot more complicated, especially lately.

Something else I've been noticing too recently is that sometimes it will increase your soon-to-be-removed traffic. I'm wondering now if it's to compensate for counting your usage twice. I'll keep a close eye on the graph over the next few days to see if this is the case.

I wish they'd get their act together, because up until recently I've been a very happy customer. I don't relish the thoughts of having to switch to either BT or Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The traffic counter stopped counting totally for about a day and a half, starting last Thursday. It started again on Friday.

What I wonder is: if the monitoring system was down, will it still deduct my usage from a month ago?

It did indeed stop.
    So far any traffic accrued hasn't been added back in. Lucky us :)

I'd imagine it will read as 0 traffic and wont make any difference to the rolling cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As soon as I saw the zero reading I started downloading like crazy, left the PC on overnight. :D

Even with a 30GB limit we always have stuff to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

will be fixed shortly guys - sorry for inconvenience.

Advertisement